The MT-07 Forum

Back to riding after 12-year hiatus

trainspottingbaby

trainspottingbaby

This is a really great and supportive forum, and I can't imagine a better induction back into the world of riding! You guys are awesome.

About me: I'm a returning rider from Calgary, Canada. My previous bike was a 2002 Suzuki SV650-S, which I sold after my first child was born. 12 years and 2 kids later, on my 44th bday, my amazing wife surprised me with "Go pick out a new motorcycle". Yep, that really happened!

I was pretty set on getting another Suzuki SV650 because it was such a blast, and it too was coming out of a sort of hiatus for 2017. I read/watched everything I could find to feed my confirmation bias. Filled with excitement and brand loyalty, I went to the shop thinking she would be mine.

In person the black SV650 looked/felt fine. My crotch was forced up against the tank, but I was willing to put up with a bit of discomfort. Then with a mea culpa, the sales guy showed me a metallic blue 2017 FZ-07 ABS and suggested it's a better fit for a "returning" rider. This caused me some cognitive dissonance; I hadn't considered this bike, and had built up the Suzuki so much that I was almost resentful for being shown something that was obviously sexier and undeniably more comfy. I melted into it.

So I went away and did more research, strangely still hoping the SV650 would be a clear winner. It was not. Everything I read indicated they were comparable, but by all accounts the FZ had the edge in pure fun and comfort. It was also lighter, plus with Yamaha's highest reliability rankings and a special Yamaha-Costco promo starting that day which would save me a few hundred $, the choice became clear.

So how does my new FZ-07 measure up in the 3 days of suitable riding weather we've had since I took possession of her? So much freaking fun, I'm grinning just thinking about it. Can't wait for sunshine, I even took it out once in light flurries (which I promise to never do again).

Is it better than the SV? Yes. Not in every way, but certainly in torque and comfort. TBH as a returning rider I might have actually become quickly bored with the SV650, as I remember it struggling to keep up with other riders. Whereas the 07 has so much more to give than I dare take at my experience level. There's no doubt in my mind, I made the right choice.

Your wife is awesome! I know how you feel about the 07. For years I wanted the Ninja 650 and when I finally had the money, the FZ07 came out. I wanted to still want the Ninja but the 07 was just better for me. So much for the Ninja.

trainspottingbaby
Your wife is awesome! I know how you feel about the 07. For years I wanted the Ninja 650 and when I finally had the money, the FZ07 came out. I wanted to still want the Ninja but the 07 was just better for me. So much for the Ninja.
LOL, "wanted to still want" pretty much nails it.  
Does a part of you still kind of like a full-fairing sport, or are you completely good with the FZ-07 naked aesthetic now?

Does a part of you still kind of like a full-fairing sport, or are you completely good with the FZ-07 naked aesthetic now?
I had never considered a naked bike before the FZ. I think I prefer the full fairing look just a tiny bit more but only a tiny bit. Today I spent hours sitting outside, staring and drooling at my bike. It is sex on wheels! 

trainspottingbaby
I had never considered a naked bike before the FZ. I think I prefer the full fairing look just a tiny bit more but only a tiny bit. Today I spent hours sitting outside, staring and drooling at my bike. It is sex on wheels!

I know, right?! On several occasions I've made excuses to go out to the garage just to stare at my 07, and just try to take it all in. As a sciency guy the naked aesthetic has always appealed to me a bit more because I'm fascinated how everything fits together and I wouldn't want to hide that behind plastic. The 07 has it all -- sexy AND smart!

• Premium Member

Your story sounds eerily similar to mine... minus the kids :) . Welcome back to riding.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

trainspottingbaby
Your story sounds eerily similar to mine... minus the kids :) . Welcome back to riding.
I just read your introduction. It does sound uncannily similar. I am also a cubical dweller, so there's that too! 
Big difference is that it seems you were completely open-minded and honest with yourself about the whole search, whereas I was brand-loyal and hard headed. The only other bike I had considered prior to visiting the shop, other than the SV650, was an Aprilia Shiver. Thinking back, I would read reviews about it subconsciously filtering out anything negative -- which is easy to do, since motorcycle magazines have to toe the line and rarely make an obvious negative statement about any bike. I could see that the sales guy was really trying hard to toe the line as well, yet came very close to saying "dude -- don't screw this up. Buy the 07".  :)

hugson2wheels

Welcome back to riding. I can relate. I started riding again only last year after a 19 year hiatus. I'm 42, last time I road I was 23. Zoinks!

Enjoy your bike. They're a blast to ride.

If god created us in his image, does that mean god is an egomaniac as well?

Archived