The MT-07 Forum

I got to do a test ride finally....

mixed007

Before I tell you about my experience I have to make 1 thing perfectly clear, if you are a true noob and I mean straight out of the MSF coarse with no experience this is not your first bike it is way to wicked! JMO but I am thinking safety here. Now I want to thank Flemington circle Yamaha for the test ride. The bike ride was awesome and with all of my years of experience on riding I would need a lot of time to get use to it. I was in 5th and slowed down to about 30 so I twisted the throttle and she came back to life no problem. The seat was just ok not sure if I would have to do anything with it or not? I had plenty of room to move forward and back on it. I would get different bars these need to be wider for sure. "Jake the garden snake" has a video on it. He is a you tube motovlogger in case you did not know and he has videos up on what he did to his 07. The gearshift lever needs to be longer I have a size 8 boot on and it was still a little cumbersome. The wind hit me in my chest and made my jacket like a parachute kind of. People have mentioned the harsh engine breaking but I just rev matched and it's fine no biggie. If anyone has remedied any of the things I mentioned please let me know. I am 5'6" with a wide chest I felt like I was to big for the bike but I know much bigger people that ride this bike. The inline 2 cylinder engine was ALOT MORE than what I was expecting and that is why I CAN NOT recommend this bike as a first no way no how not ever. So the big question will I get one? I just don't know because I would have to put a few more hundred dollars into it to get it comfy, yes I know that is with any bike you buy! I have owned several different kinds of bikes from adventure to cruisers to standards and I have to pick wisely so I will keep my eyes on this forum and see what happens. Now if they bring over the MT07 TRACER IT MIGHT BE A NO BRAINER?

This is my first bike, right out the MSF course, no experience. IMO it it a really good starter bike. It teaches you how to respect a bike. It definitely teaches you throttle control, or it will put you on your ass. It's perfect for beginners, not crazy power but enough to grow into. Since getting mine I rode xsr900, fz10, zx6r, and a triumph speed triple. Honestly as long as you understand that riding is dangerous and you need to stay within your limits, ANY bike can be your first bike, my buddies first bike BMW S1000RR. He is doing great on it.

trainspottingbaby

I can see your point. In North America we look for starter bikes in powerful 600/700 CC models. We look for forgiveness and smooth throttling across the power band and easy handling, and that seems enough to judge whether a very powerful bike is good enough for a beginner.

My first bike was a Suzuki SV650S, which is universally acclaimed as a great starter bike, and the FZ-07 seems to fall into the same category (albeit slightly less so because of its uneven firing and perceived torque). But in reality, these bikes have enough power to get an inexperienced rider into trouble, AND there are several 250/300 CC bikes on the market that *really are* beginner bikes that should be considered first.

OTOH several people have learned on the FZ-07 and have never had a problem. Throttle control is really easy on the 07 -- it will never take you on a ride you didn't intend to go on. If you can exercise some self-control and ease up on the throttle, it should be as good a learner bike as any 250/300. *IF*, being the key word.

I can see your point. In North America we look for starter bikes in powerful 600/700 CC models. We look for forgiveness and smooth throttling across the power band and easy handling, and that seems enough to judge whether a very powerful bike is good enough for a beginner.  
My first bike was a Suzuki SV650S, which is universally acclaimed as a great starter bike, and the FZ-07 seems to fall into the same category (albeit slightly less so because of its uneven firing and perceived torque). But in reality, these bikes have enough power to get an inexperienced rider into trouble, AND there are several 250/300 CC bikes on the market that *really are* beginner bikes that should be considered first.

OTOH several people have learned on the FZ-07 and have never had a problem. Throttle control is really easy on the 07 -- it will never take you on a ride you didn't intend to go on. If you can exercise some self-control and ease up on the throttle, it should be as good a learner bike as any 250/300. *IF*, being the key word.

I predict that alot of people who learn on an fz-07 and then upgrade to a full on supersport bike, will end up switching back to the fz-07. When you are commuting thru traffic in real world riding conditions, the FZ-07 is just so good at EVERYTHING. Alot of magazine writers commute on FZ-07's and call it the best everyday motorcycle. Biger, heavier bikes that wind up like turbo toys, they suck in traffic, downtown, lane splitting, hopping curbs, all the stuf we do on a daily bases. It's ok to get a super bike as a second bike, but if you trade your FZ-07 in on a super bike, don't be surprised if it isn't so super on anything but the track.

trainspottingbaby
People have mentioned the harsh engine breaking but I just rev matched and it's fine no biggie. If anyone has remedied any of the things I mentioned please let me know.
I wouldn't consider the engine braking to be a bad thing. Some people don't like it, but rev matching is a necessity of biking and I use it to help me stop. I've said this before, but because of the engine braking I hardly ever have to put any pressure on the brakes, and that will probably save me from having to change the pads for a long time.  

trainspottingbaby

I predict that alot of people who learn on an fz-07 and then upgrade to a full on supersport bike, will end up switching back to the fz-07. When you are commuting thru traffic in real world riding conditions, the FZ-07 is just so good at EVERYTHING. Alot of magazine writers commute on FZ-07's and call it the best everyday motorcycle. Biger, heavier bikes that wind up like turbo toys, they suck in traffic, downtown, lane splitting, hopping curbs, all the stuf we do on a daily bases. It's ok to get a super bike as a second bike, but if you trade your FZ-07 in on a super bike, don't be surprised if it isn't so super on anything but the track.
Yes, I've read several accounts of experienced riders who've instantly fallen in love with the FZ-07 engine and prefer it to their more powerful bikes. People have actually "downgraded" (if you can even call it that) from the FZ-09 for this reason. I can see this engine being used in several models in the future, starting with the MT-07 Tracer, which fills the one niche (touring) that the FZ07 isn't as good at.  

Yes, I've read several accounts of experienced riders who've instantly fallen in love with the FZ-07 engine and prefer it to their more powerful bikes. People have actually "downgraded" (if you can even call it that) from the FZ-09 for this reason. I can see this engine being used in several models in the future, starting with the MT-07 Tracer, which fills the one niche (touring) that the FZ07 isn't as good at.

FYI, you can replace that ugly standard avatar pic by clicking "profile" then clicking "edit profile". Then choose to upload an avatar pic, then choose for avatar "use uploaded" then click save.

This is my first bike, right out the MSF course, no experience. IMO it it a really good starter bike. It teaches you how to respect a bike. It definitely teaches you throttle control, or it will put you on your ass. It's perfect for beginners, not crazy power but enough to grow into. Since getting mine I rode xsr900, fz10, zx6r, and a triumph speed triple. Honestly as long as you understand that riding is dangerous and you need to stay within your limits, ANY bike can be your first bike, my buddies first bike BMW S1000RR. He is doing great on it.
I love your line " It teaches you how to respect a bike "  I have always said that you should respect the bike and it will help keep you out of trouble. 

Oh yes the SV650 I remember when that bike came out in 98 I believe it was so cool with the trellis frame which mimics the Ducati 750 monster at the time. This the same year I got my bike license I believe. If young riders are getting this bike as a first bike and are ok on it then good on them for sure. I just hate to see these kids get these bikes and crash them up because the MSF COARSE is a great tool but it's different story when your out in real traffic and road conditions. 

Oh yes the SV650 I remember when that bike came out in 98 I believe it was so cool with the trellis frame which mimics the Ducati 750 monster at the time. This the same year I got my bike license I believe. If young riders are getting this bike as a first bike and are ok on it then good on them for sure. I just hate to see these kids get these bikes and crash them up because the MSF COARSE is a great tool but it's different story when your out in real traffic and road conditions. 

one of the fz07 rider Facebook groups seems to average one wreck a week, often posted soon after some one posts "how do I wheelie?"

Cruizen you are spot on. As a matter of fact Motorcyclist magazine I believe just did a story of a trend that is happening right now riders are trading in there bigger bikes for smaller ones. Coming from 1000-1300cc bikes down to the 600-700cc bikes. They list the reasons and it makes sense. Especially the scrambler market. I did the same thing but 3 years ago. I currently ride a Suzuki V-Strom 650 adventure bike. When I am not traveling I take off the cases and zoom around on it but just not quit as nimble as a 07. This is the first bike I owned that I did not have to change out the seat. Does great around town and of coarse on the highway and seasonal roads of upstate NY.

• Premium Member

The FZ is my very first bike right out of the MSC, I don't ride 'squid' so its the perfect starter for me.  If you're a new rider and simply an irresponsible idiot with no self control then I agree this FZ is probably not for you, nor riding in general but hey by all means, who am I to say,? Your ass is your ass. IMO get what's comfortable and what you know you'll be responsible riding.
Dont tell people what they should or shouldnt start on, we're all adults here...at least I think. :D  

My wife is starting out on the SFV650 Gladius...a very smooth ride.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

one of the fz07 rider Facebook groups seems to average one wreck a week, often posted soon after some one posts "how do I wheelie?"

This bike is a wheelie machine. I know I just said we should respect ✊? the bike but it's so addicting lol ? I'm so glad I made this choice as my first bike. I always get compliments on this bike. They always ask my opinion on this bike. I always tell them a great choice. No editor has ever said this was a bad bike. I will admit tho I do want that new fz09 or xsr900.

This is my first street bike. Riding experience was a YZ 125 throughout my high school years (nearly 13 years ago). I honestly can't say the FZ is NOT a good beginner bike. I think it is very forgiving. Believe it or not, the thing that nearly got me in trouble was the engine breaking / downshifting. I think it truly depends on the person. Some people just have technical abilities and coordination to keep them upright where as others who cannot find their rear end with both hands think they can handle any bike. People just have to be realistic with themselves.

The FZ is my very first bike right out of the MSC, I don't ride 'squid' so its the perfect starter for me.  If you're a new rider and simply an irresponsible idiot with no self control then I agree this FZ is probably not for you, nor riding in general but hey by all means, who am I to say,? Your ass is your ass. IMO get what's comfortable and what you know you'll be responsible riding. Dont tell people what they should or shouldnt start on, we're all adults here...at least I think. :D  

Word.

mjdavis1994
The FZ is my very first bike right out of the MSC, I don't ride 'squid' so its the perfect starter for me.  If you're a new rider and simply an irresponsible idiot with no self control then I agree this FZ is probably not for you, nor riding in general but hey by all means, who am I to say,? Your ass is your ass. IMO get what's comfortable and what you know you'll be responsible riding. Dont tell people what they should or shouldnt start on, we're all adults here...at least I think. :D  

Same here, I'd ridden ATVs before but not many motorcycles just parking lot stuff. Took the MSF course and thought I'd be getting a bike a week later, turned out it was about 7 months later. Jumped on the FZ and it just felt natural.. didn't do anything crazy for about 3 weeks and 3k miles down. Wheelied on accident when I wasn't in a good place and have been riding them out ever since. ATGATT for me. Learned real quick after that first wheelie that riding when you're not a happy individual isn't a good mix. Luckily I haven't laid it down or worse but I attribute that to how fast I pick up on things. *knock on wood*

my condolences 

Just so we are clear I said I could not recommend this bike as a first bike. If you want to go ahead free country. Enjoy the ride.

Just so we are clear I said I could not recommend this bike as a first bike. If you want to go ahead free country. Enjoy the ride.
When seeing what it takes to ride a bike legally in the US, no bike should be recommended.

Archived