The MT-07 Forum

2017 Triumph Street Triple 765 RS vs. 2017 FZ-09?

rxSpeeD

Which bike would you guys buy if you were to upgrade? The new Street Triple for $12.5k(MSRP) or new FZ-09 for $9k?

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/roadsters-and-supersports/street-triple/2017/street-triple/variants/street-triple-rs

https://yamahamotorsports.com/sport/models/fz-09

The Street Triple is $3,500 more than the FZ-09 but would you buy it and is it worth it? The Triumph has better suspension, brakes, and electronics, not to mention the quality. Not that the FZ-09 is bad quality. 
But at $12,500 MSRP, you're getting close to the price of 1000cc super nakeds.

The maintenance and reliability of the Yamaha will probably be better, although the new Triumphs are not that bad. I want to know what you all think.

Which bike would you guys buy if you were to upgrade? The new Street Triple for $12.5k(MSRP) or new FZ-09 for $9k? 
http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/roadsters-and-supersports/street-triple/2017/street-triple/variants/street-triple-rs

https://yamahamotorsports.com/sport/models/fz-09

The Street Triple is $3,500 more than the FZ-09 but would you buy it and is it worth it? The Triumph has better suspension, brakes, and electronics, not to mention the quality. Not that the FZ-09 is bad quality. 
But at $12,500 MSRP, you're getting close to the price of 1000cc super nakeds.

The maintenance and reliability of the Yamaha will probably be better, although the new Triumphs are not that bad. I want to know what you all think.

The Triumph, with no hesitation. That new 765RS is sweet.

The new FZ-09 has better low end power, slightly upgraded forks in 2017 but the same crappy rear shock.

The 765 RS has freaking Ohlins suspension front and rear with Brembo brakes. It's ready for the track and faster on the track than some so called superbikes.

I owned an FZ-09, loved the engine, but hated the throttle and the horrible suspension. To upgrade the FZ-09 close to the level of the 765RS, it would probably total $13,000. And still not be there.

The new Street Triple is in a whole different ballpark, and I am seriously considering buying one in 2018.

• Global Moderator

I think i would wait until triumph fiddles with the 765 motor and releases a daytona model with it.
Those are phenom bikes in the 675r spec, 765RS daytona would be heaven on 2 wheels

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator

I agree with @admin, plus that new instrument panel looks fantastic.

I think i would wait until triumph fiddles with the 765 motor and releases a daytona model with it. Those are phenom bikes in the 675r spec, 765RS daytona would be heaven on 2 wheels

And I also wonder just what kind of wicked Speed Triple they will come out with. If the street triple is this awesome, just how bad ass will the new Speed Triple be?

And the newer Triumphs are very very reliable. I know many with over 50,000 miles and still rippin.

RS definitely, it really is in a different ballpark apples to oranges (showa sff-bp forks, ohlins shock, brembo brakes, electronics/traction control, etc)

The 09 is probably more comparable to the "S" base model, based on price and specs. The deciding factor here would be the kind of "character" you want your bike to have. The FZ will always have that grunt and some hooligan-esque personality. The street triple is known for it's refinement, and I'll be damned if they didn't nail it again with perfect fueling.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

For the $3.5k difference I would rather take the FZ-09. Both bikes look awesome but I'd go for the cheaper option. Although I hear that the suspension is greatly improved from the last gen. I imagine I could get the fork re-valved and re-sprung for $500 and a new shock for roughly $1000 and still be $2000 ahead.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Archived