The MT-07 Forum

Welding Question

pegasus46

[span][/span][span][/span][span][/span][span][/span]I am constructing saddlebag and truck support brackets. In the past I have welded to the frame successfully with out harming anything by just disconnecting the battery. With these new dangled ECU's I am not so sure. Is there any other precautions that I should take? I sure would like to here from some of you professionals.

Well, no expert but do quite a bit of tig welding for myself so would just say that I'd unplug the ecu along with the battery amd maybe the frame/engine ground just for grins...Mark

You need rings, of course, plus food and drinks and a party tent. Best man and a wicker, of course. Not to forget a spouse.

Oh, sorry, thought you asked about wedding :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
cornerslider

I'm a Pipefitter/welder. We make welds around high tech digital instruments every day. Our "standard procedure" is to put the ground lead, as close to the weld area as possible (electricity follows the path of least resistance). I would still pull the battery & ECU as a precaution, AND ground as close to the weld area as possible-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

You need rings, of course, plus food and drinks and a party tent. Best man and a wicker, of course. Not to forget a spouse. 
Oh, sorry, thought you asked about wedding :D
Haaa, ha! Well, they might as well be welded together. It costs more to break the bond than it does to make it and that, IMO, is a good weld. ;) 
Lets not be silly now, he's trying to make truck support brackets that will holdup a truck on his bike so he can take it places. Oops, sorry for the derail. Carry on!

Beemer

Archived