The MT-07 Forum

Why did you buy an FZ-07?

faffi

For those not keen on reading my usual diatribe, the short version of my reason is that it was offered at the right price in a reasonable distance from home and the short test ride confirmed what had been the consensus through test report after test report. Plus it was fun!

Now the long story for those that, along with me, have too much time on their hands :D

When I first saw pictures back in 2014 of the MT-07, as it's named outside America, I found it hideous. I'm an old bloke who prefer the design of the 70s and early 80s. Modern bikes that fit into that mold includes the XJR1300, CB1100F, W650, T100 Street, GSX1400 etc. But with time I got to accept the transformer-inspired look of the Yamaha, although I find it hard to love.

So why did I buy one?

It all started with the second engine of my Virago-cum-Scramber build caving in due to loss of oil supply to the top end. That, along with electrical gremlins caused by 30 year old wiring, was the drop that sent me looking for a new-ish motorcycle. 

My prime interest is comfort. For the type of roads I ride, I really should have an adventure style machine. Or enduro, as we often call them here in Europe. I love the little used mountain roads, but they are littered with frost heaves and broken asphalt. The answer is soft, long travel suspension. The most sensible choice for me would the the CRF1000L Africa Twin, what with its mellow engine, excellent suspension and fine ergonomics. So why have I only owned one enduro-style motorcycle since I first began riding back in 1980? They look horrible. To me, at least.

Despite that, I found a DL650 V-Strom locally - another bike praised for its great functionality and comfortable ride - that I wanted to try out. It was, like the MT-07 I ended up buying, a 2015 model, although it had done about 10k miles instead of about 4k of the Yamaha. Asking price was similar. However, the owner had went on an early Easter holiday, so there would be no test ride for at least a couple of weeks.

I was also too late in buying a very heavily modified 2016 Ducati Scrambler Icon 800 with 3k miles on the clock, decked out with tons of goodies from Ohlins and Corbin to whatnot. It had been outfitted with various stuff worth more than $7000 and was for sale at about 13,500 bucks, little more than the list price for a stock Scrambler Icon and 10% less than what they are asking for the higher spec versions.

That's when I noticed the ad for this MT-07 situated 125 miles from home. In retrospect I count myself lucky because this was definitely the right choice for me. The engine is exciting, something I doubt a DL650 or CRF1000 could ever be, although the Scrambler may be up there. The riding position is good, comfy yet a little more involved than that of the two adventure bikes. And more expansive than that of the Scrambler. The MT-07 is also lighter by a huge margin. The only real complaint I have against my Yamaha is the borderline suspension. And I have bits on their way to fix that.

Did I really put you to sleep already? :-S

I wanted a bike mainly for commuting but still fun enough for the occasional pleasure ride, agility, economy and torque was important parameters. Test-drove various bikes and liked the Mt-07 better than the Suzuki SV and the Ducati Scrambler. Economy of ownership was important too, less than half the insurance cost of the MT-9. Then I found a slightly used MT-07 at the color I wanted, just out of the first service and with Acra Ti system and some more add-ons at about $1200 below the price at the dealership for a stock.
Bike fits my uses perfectly and I'm happy with my choice. I have kept on adding extras like windscreen, topbox, comfort seat etc and it's now almost finished to my liking.

In short, I hadn't had a bike in a long time and was craving another one pretty bad, I had the money, it was a Yamaha, I read the reviews/watched the videos and loved the bike, (more than the R3 I was considering buying) went to the dealership and put an end to my suffering. :D  

Beemer

• Premium Member

This was my first bike, like many here and I did a ton of research and watched every video I could find and to be honest I didn't look at many other options. I knew that the FZ-07 was it ( bought it without a test ride) . Its a bike that fits any rider style or can be made too and the price hit the mark. I wanted something to make my 120 mile daily commute more fun save ware and tear on my cars and get better mpg...... so glad I did, my life is totally better because of it.

Fun is the word to describe the FZ and it has more of that than any other bike I've ridden so far. For me its the handling it so light and switches left and right with ease the power delivery hits with a punch down low, its comfortable and it hit all the marks in the looks department.

on a side note I think most of the people who bought this bike are of good quality in nature. Just look at the sights for the 07 most all get along and are supportive.  

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I had a 250 ninja (first bike) and felt like i outgrew it in about 3 months. Rode past a yamaha dealership, saw a yellow mt07 and instantly fell in love with it. Took it for a test ride and bought the demo same day. I still have a stupid grin on my face every time i get off it. I remember riding home from the dealer and thinking 'what the #$&* have i just done?' But then i took off from a set of lights and never thought anything like that again. I always have fun on it, get better mileage than my old 250 and it just looks bada$$. I've taken lots of other bikes for test rides (r1, daytona, zx6 to name a few) and i still prefer my mt07.

Seemed like the logical upgrade from my Honda CB500F. I was only interested in naked sportbikes and the FZ-07 is the perfect blend of performance and value. As much as I'd love a Ducati or something else exotic I can't justify the extra sticker price and insurance cost.

I am moving down the weight scales as I am an old geezer too. My TDM 900 became too heavy. I wanted another parallel twin but very much lighter. Yamaha had not got that far at the time and I put up with an MT-03 (original) single. Then came the 07. I asked the dealer how long I could test ride it but returned after less than 10 minutes to sign a deal. It is perfect for me, and such fun!

Just do it! 

First bike.
No friends ride.
Got Netflix, happened upon, and watched Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman ride across the world. They were talking to the guy who wrote Jupiter's Travels and he described cars vs bikes as watching the world float by, vs actively being a part of the world. Got intrigued.
Found YouTube vloggers and got the crazy idea to get a Honda cb500f.
Watched CagerOn2Wheels review the mt07. Watched Huliogans video about riding his fz07. Fell in love.
...and here we are.

• Premium Member

My father would stand in the garage sipping his beer while staring at his '10 Victory Vision 8-ball and I wondered
what all the mystique was about. After he passed a few years ago at only 65 and even though it was obviously too late to share this passion he had for MC's, I wanted to feel connected as I felt I really missed out on this aspect that was so dear to him. People I knew both young and old were passing that year; I realized and asked myself why the hell am I banking all this money as life is so very fleeting, so I took the safety course, did my research, hit the showroom and zeroed in on the '15 matte grey. I was grinning ear to ear the moment I sat on it. It felt damn right, it was definitely 'me'.

I spent 8 months spending guilt free (and still am), customizing like a crazy man and learning the "hows and whats" of my very first bike  with a lot of help from the great people of this forum. Those first 8 months and even now I feel connected to the man I never really had a chance to say good-bye to. His ashes are on my keychain, every moment with this bike is my connection.

I finally understood what my father felt with his bike.
It goes without saying I wish I started riding a bit earlier, there really is nothing like it.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

The reasons i got the FZ-07 are many. I also have a Yamaha BWS125 scooter. I finally came to realize the most fun i had on bikes are light weight and easy to move around.
I have had heavy and top heavy bikes. Too much to think about, have to be careful where you park and how you stop. I had a CBR250r and a CBR500r. Fun bikes but wanted more.
They were light enough but low on power. My last bike was a Honda NC750X DCT, was a good bike and even tho the centre of gravity was low it was still a heavy bike at over 500
pounds.
I also found to my disappointment that the NC was not really all that comfortable to ride. Wind noise and wind blast was surprisingly bad considering it has a faring and windscreen.
The mostly upright seating ergo was hard on my butt and back. Could not go on long rides without alot of pain and discomfort.

The two CBR bikes i could ride for multiple hours (6 plus) almost non-stop riding. I thought i was just getting too old and my long rides were over. Turned out it was the bike not me.

So on April 15 i sold the NC and got the FZ-07. So glad i did. In two days i put over 600km on it. I can ride the thing for hours and not be in agony. It has all the light weight of
the CBRs but with much more power. Amazed that the wind noise was much reduced. At highway speed the wind blast was tolerable.

2017 Yamaha FZ-07
2014 Yamaha BWS125

My first bike was an 83 Honda 650 Nighthawk I bought brand new. From there it was straight to 1100-1300cc bikes.

I wanted to get back to a light, simple, short wheelbase, fun bike.

The price was right so now I have one.

Still have a ST1300 though.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Global Moderator

Bought mine on a whim...
Walked into the dealer a couple times, and sat on some different models. Sv650f, fz07, fz09, fz6r, r6, fz8, duc 899, versys 850, and even the yammy bolt...
Anyway.... 
Went back one day with extra money in hand to buy the 2014 fz8 fazer new. Got the paperwork done, took it out in the parking lot to go home, and the battery was flat. After a quickish swap it still wouldnt turn over....
The exh camshaft had cracked in two, as i later found out...
My next choice in bike was the red fizzy with bright red panels and a sheepish grin.
2000 that night i rode home aboard the brand new fz07, and have been in love with its torquey motor, and awesome character since.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Since 2012 my main ride has been a super tenere. Test rode on FZ07 last year and thought it was a hoot.When I did some research and discovered it runs on regular and gets good gas mileage I was hooked. WhenI saw red and abs that was it. No regrets, I go 175 miles before reserve (67 mpg on last tank). My tenere isgetting a long deserved rest. I got a big dirt bike and little street bike. These are some good motorcycle times.

Since everything in Norway cost twice as much as everywhere else I was looking for the most bang for the buck.
And as I always do I google like crazy for a month or two and the 07 was the clear winner.
Bought it without even trying it.

Previous bikes are gixxer600, gixxer750 and a ktm duke, and I feel the 07 is the best of them. the 750 is fun for very high speed, but for anything below 100 mph Ill take the 07.

And for those of you who have not done the suspension on this bike, just start saving because it is so worth it. This bike is a bit nervous in corners stock. But now I have so much more fun on it I dont even think about trading up. Testet a speed triple 675 last weekend and that bike got nothing on the 07 in the grunt department. Just going slow in 3rd and pinning it leaves the 675 in the dust.

So spend that 600 on shocks and springs and thank me later.

I hadn't owned a street-only bike for a few years, got the itch for another one, and decided to take both the 2015 FZ-09 and 2015 FZ-07 for a ride at a Yamaha Demo Days test ride event in August of 2014.

I rode the FZ-09 first, and frankly, though it was certainly not bad, it felt a lot like the 4-cylindered Yamaha street bikes I've owned over the years as far as engine performance and character went.
I'd read and heard how it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it just didn't turn me on that much.
Having the rear spring preload cranked up up too much for my weight didn't help, either, though I doubt that had anything to do with my opinion on the bike.
Overall, the bike felt good, but not like huge fun to me.

About 45 minutes later, I got on the FZ-07.
Before I'd covered a mile, I liked the bike much more than the FZ-09.
It was due to the smaller physical size, easier maneuverability, and an engine that felt very much like a big-bore Thumper (single cylinder) or mid-displacement V-Twin.
That is:
Great low- to mid-range torque that was available at real-world engine RPM, a great sound to it, and even vibrations and a thumpty-thump throb that made me think of a big-bore motard.
I realy liked it, and soon forgot all about the FZ-09.

• Premium Member

Simply a combo of power, weight, price, looks, and timing. I unexpectedly found myself in the market and all these factors came together simultaneously for me and the 07.

I never even heard of FZ-07 when I bought it.

I had just gotten my license and I was shopping around. Told the sales guy I was looking to buy my first bike. He pointed me in the direction of the FZ-07.

When I sat on it, it fit me like a glove. Then he told me the price, and the rest was history.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

It all started in the summer of 2015.  I hadn't owned a bike in about 30 years and thought I might like to get back in the saddle.  In September of 2015 I found a 1984 Kawasaki KZ440 that needed work for sale cheap.  After a month of rounding up parts, I got the little Kaw back on the road and discovered that I still loved riding.

After getting my riding legs back under me on the little Kaw, I started scouring the web looking for the perfect new bike.  It quickly became clear that the FZ-07 was just what I was looking for: lightweight, nimble, good low end power, good roll-on power, and great price.  In August of 2016 I pulled the trigger and bought a new FZ.  ;)

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Was the 440 the LTD or a standard version? Belt or chain drive? I had a 1979 standard, called Custom, with cast wheels, points ignition and kick starter still present. Really loved that bike, only fault was a lack of power for long-distance riding - not enough up-and-go to pass lorries facing a headwind or going uphill. But playing Hailwood on a tight and gnarly backroad without breaking the speed limit? Priceless!

How mine looked, self made seat cover and all

Februarybikede_Faffi.jpg

How it must have looked when new 26 years before I bought mine as a restoration project
Z400_Goriginal.jpg

my photo upload

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
Was the 440 the LTD or a standard version? Belt or chain drive? I had a 1979 standard, called Custom, with cast wheels, points ignition and kick starter still present. Really loved that bike, only fault was a lack of power for long-distance riding - not enough up-and-go to pass lorries facing a headwind or going uphill. But playing Hailwood on a tight and gnarly backroad without breaking the speed limit? Priceless! 
How mine looked, self made seat cover and all

Februarybikede_Faffi.jpg

How it must have looked when new 26 years before I bought mine as a restoration project
Z400_Goriginal.jpg

my photo upload

Both my 440s were the LTD models.  My first 440 was a chain drive, and the one I owned recently was a belt drive.   
Here is a pic of my recent 440:

DSC_0103.jpg

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
Looking clean :)
Thanks, The bike was in great shape when I bought it for $150.00, other than the fact that the whole clutch side of the engine was in pieces in a cardboard box. The previous owner was trying to figure out why the little bike had stopped moving forward when in gear.  Turns out that the teeth inside the front drive pulley were stipped.  It took me quite a lot of time and patience to track that part down, but the little bike ran great once I got it back together.  :)

• Premium Member

Aaaaaand we're completely off the rails now. :D

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

That must have made a racket before the bike stopped moving!

Never heard of that kind of damage on these engines. The most common was for the sprocket on the crank driving the balancer chain to wear out. Especially for riders putting load on the engine below 4000 rpm. There was a bad resonance around 3500 rpm that would hammer the chain, which again would take its toll on the sprocket.

With the sprocket being an integral part at the centre of the crank, that meant a new crank was needed. However, a mechanic I know found a solution: He ground down the stock sprocket in a lathe. Then he got hold of a sprocket in the correct size and drilled out the centre to fit the ground down crank sector. The next step was to split the sprocket in two, fit the two halves around the crank and weld them in place to form a new, full-circle sprocket in place and a fully functional crank at a very moderate cost.

I love ingenuity :)

Archived