The MT-07 Forum

Why mess with designations?

faffi

Do you understand why Yamaha decided to call the MT-07 FZ-07 in America? Or, if you like, the FZ-07 for MT-07 outside America? To me, it seems just plain silly.

But it's not the first time. Remember the RZ350? That was also named that in Japan, but elsewhere it was called the RD350 YPVS. The RD500 L/C was called the RZ500 in Japan and, I believe, Canada. The XZ550 was called the 550 Vision is USA. The 750 Virago was called XV750SE in Europe. The TR-1 had a sister model in USA called the XV920R. Other than the TR-1 having a 980cc engine instead of 920cc as well as a better starter system, he bikes were identical. The XS500 and XS650 were called the TX500 and TX650 for a few years in USA, for whatever reason. The XJ600 got named FJ600 for America. The XS400 DOHC twin was the XJ400 Seca in USA, whereas the XJ400 Seca was an inline four in Japan and Europe.

Now, do not think Yamaha are alone in creating this kind of confusion. The Suzuki GSX550/750/1100 from 1980-86 lost their X for USA, keeping the former designation of the older 2-valve engines; GS. The Z-series from Kawasaki, ranging from 250 to 1300cc, had a K added in USA and ended up being called KZ. One theory for dropping the K outside USA is that it was an abbreviation for Konzentrationslager. But why use it in USA, then? ZZR-models became ZX in USA. Even some GPz models ended up as ZX over at your side of the pond.  Honda had their stuff, too. The CB400N became the CB400T in USA. The VF750 became the V45, the VF500 the V30, the VF1100 the V65. 

Personally, I cannot see a single reason for this kind of confusion. Can you? OTOH, you could question me for bothering to be bothered with this in the first place :D

I believe there are two camps at work with model designations:
The engineers and the marketers.

To me, it makes sense that a guy who had much to do with designing an FZ07 would want the world to see what an FZ07 is like the world over.
A marketing man will rebadge the FZ07 for another part of the world if he sees fit to do so, especially taking past designation changes into account, if he believes it will help sell more units.
Actually, the engineers may use a designation amongst themselves that doesn't see the light of day with the production unit.

An example of this is the Yamaha WR250F off-road bike and the WR250R dual-purpose bike (AKA dual sport these days).
You would think they are similar in design, but they actually share practically no parts - not engine, chassis, bodywork, plastics, etc.
They merely have a similar model designation.
People routinely think these two models are closely related to each other, and that's probably the intention by the marketing men.
Calling the WR250R the XT250R makes more sense to me as it is not only the traditional Yamaha 4-stroke dual-purpose bike designation (XT), but also eliminates the confusion.

I have no doubt that marketing is the cause, as you say - but why would it differ between markets?

It could be that MT sounds a bit too much like EMPTY, just like the Diversion became the Seca II in USA in fear of it being affectionately(?) being referred to as Perversion. Still, if the Brits and Aussies and Kiwis can live with it, why not the 'mercuns?

MT was no doubt used in most countries because of the already strong lineup with that designation. We now have the MT-125, MT-03, MT-07, MT-09, MT-10 and MT-01. The latter was my dream bike until I rode the MT-07.

Yes, ER-6n for the naked and ER-6f for the one with a fairing. But that was so 2016 :D Now we have the Z650 as the naked and the Ninja 650 as the one with a fairing.

• Premium Member

Each major market like EU or USA have slightly different  licensing reasons, regulations, lawyers, marketing, compliance,trademarks, manufacturer, etc...  

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I believed that it was because MT meant nothing in US because the MT-01 was never sold there. On the other hand FZ was already established.

Just do it! 

Could well be the case, but we have FZ here as well. My original point was that it cause confusion, especially in today's situation where the whole globe is connected through FB and forums like this. Using the same designation world wide would simplify communication and also make searching easier/more efficient when looking for parts etc.

• Premium Member
Could well be the case, but we have FZ here as well. My original point was that it cause confusion, especially in today's situation where the whole globe is connected through FB and forums like this. Using the same designation world wide would simplify communication and also make searching easier/more efficient when looking for parts etc.
"easier/more efficient" will always take a back seat to Marketing if they think it will sell a few more units. 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

Labels tailored to the market is a common practice with all products, and may be done for any number of reason, rational or otherwise.

Sometimes failure to do so can be disastrous to sales, e.g., recall the Chevy Nova which was introduced to Spanish speaking markets where the name means "no go." Now, I wonder why it didn't sell well there?!?

Archived