The MT-07 Forum

Soul of the FZ07

faffi

What bike(s) do you feel share the same kind of soul with the FZ07? Forget what bikes it is compared with most often by magazines etc. and think about what the bike is really about, regardless of price and brand and engine size.

Is it the engine that maketh the bike? From (ex) my TDM 900 there seems to have arrived the MT-07 - a young and spirited offspring. The engine feels similar, but MT is very lightly clothed. I ride it in the same way. Of course they are very different bikes, but they do seem to me to be related.

Just do it! 

Maybe,
KTM 690 Duke...
Ducati Monster/HyperMotard (any of the smaller ones)...
Kawasaki ER650 (naked version or early Versys)...
Honda ? (never mind Honda doesn't have/make/sell 'soul', haha)...
Buell (Ulysses)...

Good start anyway

• Global Moderator

Any of the duc monsters (sub 100cc)
most of the 1st and 2nd gen sv650's

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Drz400sm. Fun factor, low maintenance , fun per dollar value, gas mileage, "go anywhere " kinda vibe, hooligan vibe..

To me the Ducati Monsters come to mind first. And the inaugural SV650. Never mind that virtually the same bike is sold today, but now it rather run-of-the-mill. In 1999, however, it was refreshing and a hooligan bike. I would also include the Harley XR1200 and the Triumph Street Triple here.

The Dukes are too extreme, like he Hypermotards, the way I see it - the FZ/MT is quite practical and versatile while having a hooligan engine. Few would call the Duke and Hyper practical.

If it weren't for the engine on this bike I wouldn't have thought it to have any soul but generally I feel that there are more old bikes (Bonneville T120) that have what I consider to be real soul than new bikes. parallel twin, that bikes oozes soul, just look at it. it's not fancy either. Nothing against new bikes (I have one) but a lot of the themes are too modern looking, cartoonish and designers have lost sight of the experience a person should have on a bike. E.G. if you don't feel any wind, buffeting (sorry for saying buffeting, Cruisin) or experience anything else that stimulates the senses you might as well be in a nice, safe, quiet car with all it's luxuries with the windows up.  ;)

Beemer

Archived