The MT-07 Forum

Oil pan install!

cyandi

So i messed up...

I changed my oil for the 2nd time and must have overtightened the drain bolt, thus cracking my oil pan. It's right at the thread, it's a very little crack but it went through the nut threads in the pan and now it leaks.
I didn't use a washer, which I know was a mistake, but the bike didn't come with one- in my defense. I ordered one through my local dealer and am wondering about installing the new pan myself.
Easy job? Anything I should know before diving into it? I am fairly handy, plus it looks like it is a simple enough install. But i don't want to start tearing it apart only to put it back together again and have the dealer do it.

I couldn't find any threads on this so if anyone has any experience doing it with this bike or others, I would love to hear! I'd like to do it myself if possible but am also itching to ride again and don't want to make it a longer process than needed! Can update with pics later.

Thanks,
Cy

• Global Moderator
https://fz07.org/thread/3751/yamaha-fz-07-torque-specs

This thread will be of great use to ya.
Its fairly straightforward,
Remove bolts, old oil pan, old gasket, install new gasket and oil pan. Put all bolts back where they came from, tighten to spec.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
Remove bolts, old oil pan, old gasket, install new gasket and oil pan. Put all bolts back where they came from, tighten to spec.
You will also have to pull the exhaust to make it easier to remove the oil pan.  

I just did this a few days ago and it took me all of 45 minutes, including a stop for getting a beer and taking a smoke break.

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

I just read that thread what feels like 10 times and I didn't see the torque specs for the oil pan bolts... am I blind?

*** Never. Mind. It's posted later by another member. I hereby conclude I am blind... >:(

While yer at it, replace the std. drain bolt with a magnetic one. You'll be surprised to see how much metal spooge is missed by the filter.

Aluminum crush washers are cheap on Fleebay and can even be reused a few times - if not cranked upon. 

Thanks for the advise all- it definitely was really easy. I've become a pro at taking the exhaust off and on, after installing the M4, so it turned out to be a 1/2 hour deal- no smoke breaks or beer runs.

Archived