The MT-07 Forum

Tight cornering on stock tires

level41

Anyone noticed that when taking a tight corner, on the stock tires, that it feels as if the rear is somewhat giving way?

Or could it be that my tires are not fully inflated; or perhaps it has something to do with the small rubber edge on my tires?

I took a turn, and at first it felt as if the rear of the bike was sliding.
Never had this on any other bike; or at least I don't remember.

I have experienced the same feel a few times under acceleration from a corner. Usually I just assume it's hot, dirty pavement under my wheels but I can watch my riding colleague in front of me on his Suzuki do the same thing so it doesn't freak me out anymore.

• Premium Member

If you are loading your front suspension in a corner you lighten you the rear tire These bikes have a heavy engine braking so that can cause the suspension to load or if you are braking in the corner. So if you are not going threw a corner properly that could be the issue. If you think that this is the problem one don't brake in the corner and two do let fully off the throttle in a corner. Watch twist of the wrist if you don't understand what I'm saying, watch it any way if you haven't and watch it again if you have lol.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I actually accelerate in the corners.
It seems to happen when I'm leaning more than 45 degrees; round about the apex.
But I think it happens regardless of acceleration or deceleration.

From Full Member, "Or could it be that my tires are not fully inflated"? Don't you check your tires before beginning a trip?

Honestly.. my stock tires never broke and I pushed em hard. I had the bridgestones from the factory. A lot has to do with your body position , corner speed, and tire/road surface temperature and any slip should be analyzed from examining all aspects of the event.

I actually accelerate in the corners. It seems to happen when I'm leaning more than 45 degrees; round about the apex.
Not sure the bike will lean past 45 degrees in the first place as the MT-07 doesn't have acres of cornering clearance. Usually, you begin to run into adhesion issues around 45 degrees on most public roads with touring-sport tyres. 45 degrees would be the maximum I would expect a non-sport tyre to withstand on a public road. If you are actually going past 45 degrees, there will not be the slightest hint of a chicken strip on either of the tyres. And they should show clear signs of distress as well.

If you add throttle and lean at the same time, you are looking for a highsider, so I hope you do not apply throttle until you are leaned fully over. Leaned over 45 degrees, the stock tyre at best have traction over to allow constant cornering speed - meaning throttle applied to just stop the deceleration that comes with cornering.

Finally, if you experience the same thing whether you are rolling, keeping a constant speed and accelerating, it probaly is an insecure feeling coming from the suspension rather than actual sliding. 

Anyway, from one who used to act like the road was his own personal race track and have paid the price for it; your way of riding sounds like a quick route to an accident because you do not have any margin left for taking evaisive actions. Spend a few bobs and take a class, like CSS or similar, before your get hurt ;)

From Full Member, "Or could it be that my tires are not fully inflated"? Don't you check your tires before beginning a trip?
I do.  Usually if I can create a dent in the tire, when pressing on the center with my thumb, I know it needs air.
The FZ I could barely see any change in the rubber.

On my CBR, when I could create about 3x the indent on the front tire (from the indent I created on the rear FZ), it had 28 PSI in there.

At 45 degrees I usually am going very slow, like 20MPH.

I actually accelerate in the corners. It seems to happen when I'm leaning more than 45 degrees; round about the apex.

Like what @faffi said, It sounds like what you may be doing is adding acceleration and lean angle simultaneously. You should be fully turned in before you start your roll on. When you lean as you add throttle you are effectively decreasing the contact patch while simultaneously accelerating and shortening your gearing by shortening the radius of the tire. That's the number one cause of high sides and if you're not sure if you're doing it you probably are.

Not sure the bike will lean past 45 degrees in the first place as the MT-07 doesn't have acres of cornering clearance. Usually, you begin to run into adhesion issues around 45 degrees on most public roads with touring-sport tyres. 45 degrees would be the maximum I would expect a non-sport tyre to withstand on a public road. If you are actually going past 45 degrees, there will not be the slightest hint of a chicken strip on either of the tyres. And they should show clear signs of distress as well.
In my experience with the bike, this is definitely true. On a stock FZ07 the metal rods sticking under the pegs will start scraping pretty soon, so I think OP is exaggerating a bit about the lean angle. But you really don't need to be dragging knees for a sport touring tire to reach its limits on a public road. 

Check your tire pressure more often, make sure the tires are warm before you start pushing and take it easy with the throttle at the exit of the turn. If you want to be more aggressive with the throttle on your turn exit you can try the pick up technique.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbQoW3rk2o]

• Premium Member

Rear wheel tends to feel pretty stable to me, I don't often feel like it isn't. Feedback for the front can feel a bit vague though.

Max lean angle (or so the magazines say) for the 07 us 49 degrees. On a left hand turn, the kickstand is the first thing that will pick your rear wheel up. Don't know about a right hander.

Everything went braap.

How are you determining your lean angle of 45 degrees?
Measurement, or an estimation?

If you're leaning over far and doing 20mph, you're making short, quick, tight corners, the kind you would do in an empty parking lot while experimenting and/or practicing maneuvers on the bike, and if you are keeping with your previously mentioned (in another thread) habit of lugging the bike way down low in the basement of the RPM range, I would expect the less-than-smooth-due-to-the-low-RPM power pulses to tend to break traction.

In other words, if my guess is correct, I'd expect it.

Guessing.
Street lights, trying to make the turn at 20-25 mph,

Could be the suspension, not sure.
Could be road debris, or travel on the road, or a slippery center line (that's how it feels like).

I'll measure the tire pressure, but I'm pretty sure it has about 35psi, or more, in there.

I was riding in the mountains this weekend and was going to post this exact question, I finally got a knee down but the whole time it felt like my back tire was on the edge of slipping. I was going a good speed for the corner kept a good line but that rear end felt slippy.

I am wondering if going down a size would help as I still have around an inch on the front tire that could be warn away while the rear is to the edge.

That being said on the street if the tires are not warm I have felt it slipping really easy but its usually when accelerating.

IMO the stock tires aren't the best for aggressive riding, the compound is too hard so the grip isn't the best. There is a variety of good, grippy tires out there to choose from, I chose the Battlax S21 hypersports. They have a softer compound (more grip) than the original but are specially made to also have decent wear & tear value. I really like how the S21 is designed so that it is more evenly rounded and doesn't make you feel as though the tire has fallen off an edge when you lean the bike and they grip like a cat over water. It's a smooth transition that inspires more confidence. My two cents worth ... plus tax.

With all the suggestions are you confused yet? :P

Beemer

koselig, are you from Norway?

If you fit a narrower tyre, the profile will be even flatter and you will reach the edge sooner than with the stock tyre. The reason you usually can lean further before you reach the edge of the front tyre is because it is much easier for most to control a rear wheel slide compared to a front end slide. Hence they give you more margin. Also remember that you can lean A LOT further after the edge of the tyre touched ground. You can lean all the way until there are no virgin rubber on the front tyre and the rear will still grip if the asphalt is good and you are smooth.

Note that sportier rubber usually require more heat to work well and are best suited in warmer climates and/or when riding hard. The first time I rode my MT-07 I leaned it over to the edge of the stock rear tyre, with less than half an inch of chicken strip left on the front tyre, after a mere half a mile of riding. That was in temps of 9F C / 48F on an overcast day. Neither tyre slid. It was rather silly of me, but the bike leaned so quickly and easily that I was caught by surprise a little. On a warm day after warming the tyres I am positive the tyres will stick far beyond my own fear limit.

I have definitely noticed some vagueness in the front when riding in the twisties but if I sit with my crotch right up against the tank and use more deliberate body position (one butt cheek on the seat, nose towards the mirror, look through the turn, upper body close to the tank, etc.) I notice a huge improvement in mechanical grip and feel. If riding some canyons I usually drop a couple psi in the tires as the rec'd 36 / 33 feels pretty high but I am in Socal so our roads are usually hot. I have intentionally tried to break the rear free in corners but our rear tire is so fat I have never really been able to feel a slide. I used to ride dirtbikes so that feeling is pretty common and it just doesn't come on this bike - even if spanking it out of a turn. I am sure you could break it free and highside if you took a really tight turn and goosed it in first but with smooth but aggressive throttle input the rear feels dead solid to me. Front is a little iffy though. She definitely likes to back it into corners though, so breaking the rear free coming into a corner is another story ;)

I felt the front let go with my Q3's due to bad throttle inputs, thankfully i could correct it but it was a tight ass corner and I was hauling ass.

murcielago311

If you're on the stock Pilot Roads, what you're feeling is probably what's usually described as 'squirm'. I can usually feel this on a tire with more tread like the pilot roads vs something like a q3.

• Premium Member

I noticed a little squirm on newer tires that are not fully scrubbed to the edges...it may look you have no chicken strips but the vast majority of us street riders in my opinion will not spend enough time in knee dragging territory to scrub in the chicken strip edge of the tire for grip, etc compared to a tire that spent the vast majority of its life on a track...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Yeah, it's like at an angle it feels like the bike's rear is going down (meaning being forced to the outside of the turn).
The only other time I felt something like this, was when the bolt, mounting the rear "fork" if I can call it like that, came loose, and the fork had play on one of my scooters, that didn't have a single mount swingarm like this bike has.

Happens on my Rebel too, but that's because it has very saggy suspension, made for cruising comfort, not sporty riding.
I did scrape the pegs on my reby a few times, and though my angle is leaning in not like on the tracks, where the rider's cheek are an inch from the pavement, I do tend to turn leaning in at about 45 degrees on tight turns, and highway exit ramps.

koselig, are you from Norway? 
If you fit a narrower tyre, the profile will be even flatter and you will reach the edge sooner than with the stock tyre. The reason you usually can lean further before you reach the edge of the front tyre is because it is much easier for most to control a rear wheel slide compared to a front end slide. Hence they give you more margin. Also remember that you can lean A LOT further after the edge of the tyre touched ground. You can lean all the way until there are no virgin rubber on the front tyre and the rear will still grip if the asphalt is good and you are smooth.

Note that sportier rubber usually require more heat to work well and are best suited in warmer climates and/or when riding hard. The first time I rode my MT-07 I leaned it over to the edge of the stock rear tyre, with less than half an inch of chicken strip left on the front tyre, after a mere half a mile of riding. That was in temps of 9F C / 48F on an overcast day. Neither tyre slid. It was rather silly of me, but the bike leaned so quickly and easily that I was caught by surprise a little. On a warm day after warming the tyres I am positive the tyres will stick far beyond my own fear limit.

I am not from Norway really want to visit soon though. I just really enjoy the meaning of the word Koselig.  
Thanks for the info btw! Still rather new to bikes. My rear tire has maybe 1/32 inch left of strip my front has around a 1/4 ish give or take.

If you are new to bikes and lean that far, it means you have a pretty respectable pace. Possibly too respectable in relation to your experience. For your own development as a rider and to give yourself the biggest chance of surviving intact over the coming years, I would suggest you consider taking a class, like CSS or similar, to learn the proper cornering techniques. I wish that had been available to me when I first started riding back in 1980, it could have saved me from a lot of grief.

If you are new to bikes and lean that far, it means you have a pretty respectable pace. Possibly too respectable in relation to your experience. For your own development as a rider and to give yourself the biggest chance of surviving intact over the coming years, I would suggest you consider taking a class, like CSS or similar, to learn the proper cornering techniques. I wish that had been available to me when I first started riding back in 1980, it could have saved me from a lot of grief.
New is a relative term, I've been riding 1.5 years on the fz, several years on dirt as a teenager, and just now starting to ride more aggressively on the fz. Starting to go a bit faster still keeping 70 30 limits. I definitely want to take a more track oriented class soon. Always learn and improve.

Archived