The MT-07 Forum

Drag strip launching?

topazsparrow

topazsparrow

Did a quick search and didn't find a single thing.

Anyone here take their bike to the strip? There's a 1/8'th mile track reasonably close to me and I was going to take the bike out soon.

Curious what the best way to launch it is though. 1st gear seems too short and would launch the front end in the air immediately. 2nd gear might be too tall?

• Premium Member

I prefer 2nd gear from dead stop...1st gear is only used once or twice a month for me...

My best 1/8 mile was a 7.93 on my old set up

My best advice is for launching is very similar to how I launch a dirt bike...

Just prior to staging grab the front of your pants where the inseam meets, pull the slack out of it and sit far forward as you can while still pulling the slack outta your pants and try to scoot back, now you will notice you barely slide back...

My left foot never drops off the foot peg when I click the first lights on the tree, it's ready to shift before I even leave to hit the 2nd light, not gonna waste time or lose focus putting left foot in place to shift when my total focus is keeping the bike horizontal when it's time to go BBBBBBRRRRRARAAAAPPPPP...

Practice, practice, practice and it does not hurt to watch how other drag bike racers position the feet when launching...my right foot tippy toes are all that holds me up at the light, the natural movement of my knee/upper thigh  locks it into the gas tank...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

For $100 I can arrange to have my ex mother in law start running at you from behind, bitching and complaining about you. Guaranteed to take a full second off your 1/4 mile time and probably help you break a world record. You'll launch like you never thought you could!

For $100 I can arrange to have my ex mother in law start running at you from behind, bitching and complaining about you. Guaranteed to take a full second off your 1/4 mile time and probably help you break a world record. You'll launch like you never thought you could!

Haha.

Another tip I learned from an old racer years ago;

"Once you begin your launch, get the clutch out (engaged) as fast as possible. Otherwise you are wasting engine power generating heat in the clutch pack instead of putting power to the ground." 

In other words don't slip the clutch. Especially on our low/mid range motored bikes. A drop in rpm isn't as bad as you think, get it hooked up and putting all the available power to the road, not into the clutch. It works well for me, see video of race start in racing section of forum. I'm not the fastest roadracer on the grid but I dominate the starts. ?

As far as wheelieing on launch, I've found that it is actually less of a problem by gronking the clutch (nearly dumping) than when slipping or feathering it. When I dump it the momentary stumble in rpm holds the front wheel down allowing the bike to make forward progress instead of vertical progress.  Once forward acceleration  exceeds verticall acceleration you are under full power with clutch out!  And less than 20 feet from the line.

Good times!

I get faster times starting in 1st, learn to lean over the bars and ride the wheelie that's gonna happen. I got a 6.74 In the 1/8th stock bike w/ ejk.

Dale Walker say to hold the engine at around 80% of max rpm as a general rule - less if you have tons of torque. Start feeding the clutch a split second before rolling the throttle fully open. Fan the clutch to keep the front end down and the wheel from lighting up and just long enough to prevent a bog. As you can see, they do not slip the clutch for long.

Dale Walker:

Jay Gleason doing a run:

Ha haaaa! I would love to see your X mother in law and my X mother in law go at it in the OCTAGAGON! (no jello, (puke) ) 

Beemer

I didn't take mine to the strip but I did try some 0-60 times recently, I take it you didn't see that thread. Anyway, I found it almost impossible to get a good launch in either 1st or 2nd gear without pulling the front end up some. I could keep the front end down in 2nd easier giving it the same amount of throttle I gave it in 1st but the launch was lame. I had to increasingly give it more throttle until it launched good and the only difference was it launched me further before the front end came down but it also didn't accelerate as hard so in my experience it didn't matter too much which gear I launched in. I actually got better times starting in 1st if I launched > just right. Others may have a different experience launching, depending on various things. Slipping the clutch only hurt my times. Edit: apparently I have to practice slipping the clutch, ha!

Beemer

• Premium Member
Dale Walker say to hold the engine at around 80% of max rpm as a general rule - less if you have tons of torque. Start feeding the clutch a split second before rolling the throttle fully open. Fan the clutch to keep the front end down and the wheel from lighting up and just long enough to prevent a bog. As you can see, they do not slip the clutch for long. 

Damn those V-max never fail to capture my senses! Been my dream bike since day 1. I feel that'll be my next bike when I actually know how to handle the ride.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Damn those V-max never fail to capture my senses! Been my dream bike since day 1. I feel that'll be my next bike when I actually know how to handle the ride.

Got a friend that keeps pressing me to get a cruiser, he's worried that wild, instigating, trouble making FZ-07 will get me hurt. He doesn't know that if I went to a cruiser I would get a good, used VMax with great balls of fire that's even faster . ;) I remember reading a review years ago and the guy testing the bike said he was accelerating hard coming off a ramp onto the highway and the rear tire broke loose when he shifted into 3rd gear. That's no sh*t! It has that kind of power. 

Beemer

Guest 2wheeler

Years ago a buddy of mine had a V-Max, and was stupid enough to let me ride it. Funniest damn thing... I felt like a coke addict as I had to keep going back for more. I kept going up and down this road where on the first run, I was looking for police, then I would turn around and blast it. When that V-Boost kicked in, it was pure cocaine bliss! In 2nd gear, you did not know whether the rear end was going to break loose or you were going to rip into a wheelie. Then, of course, you had to turn around and do it again.

I'm still amazed in the fact I never bought one! Guess I knew myself well enough, and valued my life as I knew it would seriously hurt me or worse.

SERIOUSLY fun bike to ride!!!

• Premium Member

Years ago a buddy of mine had a V-Max, and was stupid enough to let me ride it. Funniest damn thing... I felt like a coke addict as I had to keep going back for more. I kept going up and down this road where on the first run, I was looking for police, then I would turn around and blast it. When that V-Boost kicked in, it was pure cocaine bliss! In 2nd gear, you did not know whether the rear end was going to break loose or you were going to rip into a wheelie. Then, of course, you had to turn around and do it again. 
I'm still amazed in the fact I never bought one! Guess I knew myself well enough, and valued my life as I knew it would seriously hurt me or worse.

SERIOUSLY fun bike to ride!!!

I dont doubt it for one second. I sat on the '15 at the dealership and I immediately felt rather insignificant while perched on top this beastly tank of a bike. One day I hope to attempt to tame it (ha right, who am I kidding?), or at the very least take one for a spin as you have. One day. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• 2 weeks later...

The launch technique we used eons ago on granted skinny tires, was to rev the bike to max torque rpm, stand off the bike lean forward, pop the clutch, spin the rear wheel and let the seat hit you in the butt as you sit. Resulting times for a stock (but rejetted) 1965 Triumph TT special were 11.5 to 12.5.
I suppose with the excessively wide tires of today you might have trouble keeping the front wheel down, but I am surprised at the high times the MT07 gets in the 1/4 mile. I would expect high 11's would be possible with an experienced drag racer.

According to my seat of the pants expert registrator :D I would say that the MT-07 is biased towards quick everyday performance at the cost of flat out performance. The engine is so eager and so ready to go below 7000 rpm, but feels a bit uninterested above compared to more free-revving engines. But start out from 10 mph in 3rd gear against any of its rivals, and I bet you the MT-07 will be the first to the finishing line by some margin.

Of course, I could be wrong. I have been before, and I will be again :D

Personally, I find the FZ07 am incredibly easy bike to launch. Even in first gear. I haven't take it to the strip, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but here's what I find works best. Start in first gear. Rev it up a bit (not a lot, maybe 3000-5000), let the clutch out just to the point it starts grabbing, when the light turns green drop the clutch and pin it. It should pull a very small and controllable wheelie. Launching like this, I actually managed to keep up with my friend's FZ1 through first gear. The moment I shifted to second he walked away like I was standing still though lol.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

2nd gear launches are no good. use 1st. the clutch is a wear item. main bearings and connecting rods are not.

low 12's possible. never gonna see high 11s without a miracle above 8k rpm.

how i do it:
go around the burnout box. its pointless.
begin stage with toe under shifter in 1st.
rev to 5kish. hold. ease clutch to just-ready-to-go, final stage.
lean over front.
dump and rev. or rev and dump? meh. do it till it works. it becomes second nature after a few passes.
clutchless upshifts.

if you have wheelie problems the rear suspension is too hard. it should squat during launch.

-HowWorkClutch

Archived