The MT-07 Forum

brakes have pressure/resistance but not initiating

yanlau1

so my fz has pressure in both the lever and rear pedal, but when I apply the brakes, the pads aren't grabbing onto the rotors to slow the bike down... checked the brake lines and there aren't any leaks and there's still plenty of fluid in the brake reservoirs.  not sure what the issue is but if anyone has any ideas or has experienced this before, please let me know :) thanks.

• Global Moderator

Just to clarify, it feels normal when you apply the brakes but it does nothing to slow the bike? The front and rear brakes are completely different systems so it is really strange for them both to fail. Did you maybe get oil or something on the rotors?

This might be a dumb question but, did you pick the bike up off the ground and spin the wheels? make sure when you hit the brake the wheel stops.. also check to make sure the pads aren't worn out? mjh has a good point, it is quite strange for both front and rear to fail together

Just to clarify, it feels normal when you apply the brakes but it does nothing to slow the bike? The front and rear brakes are completely different systems so it is really strange for them both to fail. Did you maybe get oil or something on the rotors?
yeah the bike is on stands and when I spin the wheel then apply the brakes, it continues to spin... I did an oil change but oil did not get on the rotors.

Let's analyze this, there must be something missing here. Assuming you rode it up till oil change and it had brakes when you stopped or you'd still be going...there is no way way 2 completely seperate systems would fail simultaneously for no identifiable reason. Did you adjust or change or modify anything before, during or after oil change?  Any parts added or removed? 

Is the normal amount of free play present in the lever/pedal? With the wheel in mid air, it should virtually slam to a stop with very little actual pressure on the lever. When you manualy roll the bike and apply the brakes you should feel a tremendous amount of drag but still be able to manipulate the lever pressure to allow some movement.

Anything?

Curious.

• Global Moderator

Does it have ABS? I am not sure if that would make a difference with the brakes working on a stand.

Let's analyze this, there must be something missing here. Assuming you rode it up till oil change and it had brakes when you stopped or you'd still be going...there is no way way 2 completely seperate systems would fail simultaneously for no identifiable reason. Did you adjust or change or modify anything before, during or after oil change?  Any parts added or removed?  
Is the normal amount of free play present in the lever/pedal? With the wheel in mid air, it should virtually slam to a stop with very little actual pressure on the lever. When you manualy roll the bike and apply the brakes you should feel a tremendous amount of drag but still be able to manipulate the lever pressure to allow some movement.

Anything?

Curious.
i did change out the handle bar and put in new fairings after i dropped it towards the end of last season but there were no visible leaks, just cosmetic damages. and i haven't gotten on it yet this year, just spun the wheels on the stand and applied the brakes to see if they were in working condition.  the brake lights are also out too so I'm not really sure where to start since i just got it last year and am pretty new to bikes lol. 

If you live in a coastal area and it has sat for a significant amount of time it is 'possible' the brake pistons have rusted in their bores. Give the lever a harder pull to see if they brake free. They may feel like they are engaging when in fact there is no movement. This would also explain the lights not functioning properly.

Open your bleeder screws and depress your controls. are you moving fluid when you press the lever/pedal? Like mossrider said, the calipers may be seized 

so my fz has pressure in both the lever and rear pedal, but when I apply the brakes, the pads aren't grabbing onto the rotors to slow the bike down... checked the brake lines and there aren't any leaks and there's still plenty of fluid in the brake reservoirs.  not sure what the issue is but if anyone has any ideas or has experienced this before, please let me know :) thanks.

This may sound crazy, but if there has been even one tiny smudge of oil wiped on the rotors, they can cause this. Any oil on the pads or rotor? Did you spill any oil?

Also, did you mess with the brake fluid at all ? Did any brake fluid get on the rotors or pads? If so, take pads out and spray with brake cleaner on rotors and pads.

Did you add brake fluid? Did some spill out of the brake fluid reservoir? Do brakes need to be bled?

• Global Moderator

It seems unlikely that even if some oil or brake fluid was spilled that it would get on all three rotors. I am leaning towards the corroded caliper theory.

It seems unlikely that even if some oil or brake fluid was spilled that it would get on all three rotors. I am leaning towards the corroded caliper theory.
Right, the fact that the brake lights are not working says that there is no movement in the levers, providing they are hooked up and operational.

Let's not forget the bike was down - maybe on the right side?????

Did the levers get damaged - maybe in a way to prevent their full range of movement?

The brake light not working might be misleading and not related. The front brake lever really doesn't have to travel very far for it to activate the switch. And even if the rear brake piston was seized, the switch should activate before enough pressure is built up to stop the lever. We've had problems with that switch staying on, not the other way round. But maybe it came loose and unscrewed itself and hasn't worked for a while.

Sometimes, you don't see things until you look.

That the bike fell hard enough to bend the bars, I would look at least look at wiring from the front brake switch - maybe the switch is damaged.

Less likely, but maybe the tail light LEDS also did not survive the drop

That the bike was on its side is also cause enough for bleeding air from both systems. Especially if there's a problem.

so I ended up cleaning the rotors and calipers with brake cleaner and wah lah! super weird because I haven't added any brake fluid nor was anything leaking from the lines so I'm not sure what caused my brakes to not work... i'll have to just keep a close eye on it and maybe replace the caliper just to be safe. my front brake lever and rear lever are still not initiating my brake light though... any ideas on that?

With both switches are not working, it's more likely something in common is bad. Start with the taillight itself. Check to see if there is voltage going to it when you apply either brake. If that checks out, the problem is in the tail light assembly. If there's no voltage at the assembly, you'll need to work your way forward.

Still thinking this was related to your dropping the bike.

so I ended up cleaning the rotors and calipers with brake cleaner and wah lah! super weird because I haven't added any brake fluid nor was anything leaking from the lines so I'm not sure what caused my brakes to not work... i'll have to just keep a close eye on it and maybe replace the caliper just to be safe. my front brake lever and rear lever are still not initiating my brake light though... any ideas on that?
Did you lube the chain before putting it up? 

Beemer

• Global Moderator

Check the fuses for the brake light. They would be the most likely culprit.

Make sure your brake light isn't on all the time. Check the rear switch, it's adjustable.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Make sure your brake light isn't on all the time. Check the rear switch, it's adjustable.
yes, so I figured out it was actually working, but my light was just stuck on... I adjusted the nut by the rear pedal and it flickered a little but after a bit, the light came back on with out me pressing on the breaks.  is there something else I need to adjust?  

Did you lube the chain before putting it up?
no, since I lubed it all up and cleaned it after storing it last year. 

With both switches are not working, it's more likely something in common is bad. Start with the taillight itself. Check to see if there is voltage going to it when you apply either brake. If that checks out, the problem is in the tail light assembly. If there's no voltage at the assembly, you'll need to work your way forward. 
I put on a brand new tst integrated tail light and the fuses are all good.  the break light was actually stuck on.  now I can't get the darn thing turn off even after adjusting the rear brake light sensor nut... pissing me off because I want to get out and ride haha. 

I put on a brand new tst integrated tail light and the fuses are all good.  the break light was actually stuck on.  now I can't get the darn thing turn off even after adjusting the rear brake light sensor nut... pissing me off because I want to get out and ride haha.
You can over adjust that little plastic nut to the point that the switch won't release and therefore, the brake light stays on. I recently had the same issue where my brake light wouldn't activate when using the rear brake. If I over tightened it, it would stay or stick on for a long time. It's a cheap, but finicky part. If you haven't , pop that metal cover (not the master cylinder guard) off to give you easier access to the switch so you can make finer adjustments.

Doh, you will always only see what you look for, lol. That makes for a bright tail lamp. Its probably been like that for a while and you didn't look until this brake issue arose.

Lots of us have lubed the plunger in that little switch cause the rubber seal seems to hold it in the on position. I used silicone spray, but others, iirc, used teflon dry lube or maybe even some powdered graphite.

You might have to work the switch by hand after lubing. And yeah, take off as much as you need to gain access.

Archived