The MT-07 Forum

I think I like the looks of the stock rear fender.

thehead21

Before you call me crazy here me out...

Every bike I've owned prior to the FZ I've purchased and installed a fender eliminator kit. I how they clean the up a bike's styling. I was sure I was going to do the same with the FZ, but over the last couple weeks the rear fender has begun to grow on me.

After purchasing the bike, one of the first things I did was remove the hideous reflector/license plate bar that for some reason seems to be added only to the US models. I then mounted the plate directly to the plastic of the rear fender, and from what I can tell I think this was what Yamaha originally intended, because when I look at pictures of the MT-07 they seem to be mounted the same way and are sans reflector/license plate bar.

Since doing this I've noticed how the rear fender really follows the curves of the bike. Even though the rear fender is quite large, it seems to be somewhat proportionate to 180 rear tire.

Am I losing my mind? Anyone else chosen not go the route of the fender eliminator because they liked the stock look? 

Mine came with a fender eliminator, bought it used. Not sure I would have bothered otherwise.

I kept my stocker. Want the protection from wet roads and the fender looks fine to me. I did change out my turn signals front and rear to the LED's used on the OEM R1 rear.

Ride Safe!

Kirk

I'm keeping mine. I love when people here bitch about getting a wet backside after removing it.?

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

martyinaustin

i leave mine stock if only to piss off my buddy who absolutely hates it. but hey, it's behind me so i never
see it.......

If I hated the looks of the FZ-07 I wouldn't have bought it and I was fine with the fender until I got sucked into the mod vortex.

Beemer

glockpointer

stock fenders, levers, mirrors, bar, and signals for me. Look back 10yrs and see what fenders bikes used to come with, stock looks aftermarket by comparison.

I kept my stocker. Want the protection from wet roads and the fender looks fine to me. I did change out my turn signals front and rear to the LED's used on the OEM R1 rear.  
Ride Safe!

Kirk
Great minds think alike. I was thinking about changing out my turn signals for LEDs as well.

I didn't like it, never did, took it off. There isn't much rain here and I try to avoid the little bit that we do get, so the wet backside isn't a huge concern.

• Global Moderator

I tried to convince myself I liked it once I replaced the pumpkin turn signals. I finally gave in and installed a Rizoma fender eliminator.

Before you call me crazy here me out... 
Every bike I've owned prior to the FZ I've purchased and installed a fender eliminator kit. I how they clean the up a bike's styling. I was sure I was going to do the same with the FZ, but over the last couple weeks the rear fender has begun to grow on me.

After purchasing the bike, one of the first things I did was remove the hideous reflector/license plate bar that for some reason seems to be added only to the US models. I then mounted the plate directly to the plastic of the rear fender, and from what I can tell I think this was what Yamaha originally intended, because when I look at pictures of the MT-07 they seem to be mounted the same way and are sans reflector/license plate bar.

Since doing this I've noticed how the rear fender really follows the curves of the bike. Even though the rear fender is quite large, it seems to be somewhat proportionate to 180 rear tire.

Am I losing my mind? Anyone else chosen not go the route of the fender eliminator because they liked the stock look? 
I keep the back fender because of  rain  and also on my fz09 have put a pyramid extention on mine for rain riding.  You guys with fender removal will get soaked if forced to ride in the rain...

I have also found that a lot of tiny stones gets thrown up on the seat. It's only a matter of time before one gets wiggled through the cover if sharp enough and trapped under my considerable arse.

Archived