The MT-07 Forum

Alternative instruments?

faffi

Anybody tried to fit different instruments to their FZ07?

I managed to fit a cheap digital combination instrument to my son's old Honda CB400SF from 1992, but it was a PITA. Ended up buying a hall effect speedo pickup for a Ninja and modified it so I could fit it to the swingarm near the rear sprocket (on the Kawa it had sat beside the front sprocket). Just messing about with the wires, unplugging the pins and move them into the stock sockets so things would connect the right way was an arse of a job. But it's been there and working for a couple of years now.

However, I am far more reluctant to dive into a new bike with warranty and lots of sensors and pickups and whatnots. So if I were to fit analogue instruments, I'd want them to be basically plug and play. That means they would have to work with the existing bits on the bike that gives information to the stock instrument. I'd be willing to mess with the wires coming out of the instrument to fit them in their correct position and in the correct kind of plug, but that's about it.

So is this realistic or should I simply forget about it?

• Premium Member

@faffi, A swanky dual needle cluster has been my dream since buying this bike, but the hell if I know what Im doing with this sort of thing, or if its even possible. Like you say its gotta be close to plug and play for a modern bike like this, and especially a guy like me. Ive repeatedly hunted up and down but its an elusive or nonexistent option so far and Im surprised no one has retro-fitted something yet. If you manage you'd be a true hero in my book.

Even something like these would be a huge step up. http://www.bluegauges.com/motorcycle/fz1_fz6.htm

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Haven't tried it but maybe an R3 cluster should basically be plug and play. They use a lot of the same components as an fz. Just a thought.

Yes, the R3 is slightly more appealing than that of the FZ-07. The contacts are similar, but not identical. The R3 has a 20-pin connector, the FZ a 24-pin connector. Still, chances are they are pretty similar, just a few functions missing on the R3 would be my guess. Anybody have wiring diagram for both? Should be easy to compare.

R3.jpg

private picture upload

s_l1600.jpg

image hosting gif

I fitted something close to this to my son's old Honda - this claims to fit a Bolt, but I doubt it will without some fiddling with the contacts http://www.ebay.com/itm/15000RPM-LCD-Digital-Odometer-Dual-Colors-Speedometer-Tachometer-Motorcycle-/332040226407?fits=Make%3AYamaha%7CModel%3ABolt&hash=item4d4f23c667:g:OggAAOSwo4pYM7Mi&vxp=mtr

ninjaiceberg

I would love to try to fit the XSR700 instrument panel. I just can't seem to be able to find one in the US.

Are the XSR 700 and Bolt 950 instruments identical? Or do they just appear to be? But the XSR instrument is even less useful than the standard for the FZ07, although it looks a little nicer.

Anyway, I got thinking that the FZ6 instruments should be able to fit as well. It does have a 16-pin plug, meaning some information will be lost compared to the stock instruments, but it shouldn't matter that it is a 4 vs a twin because it basically operates as a twin, with cylinder 1-4 and 2-3 sharing coils and pick-ups. All one would have to do is to match up the wires to the correct pins and isolate the remaining 8. Maybe...

• Premium Member

Also a chance the FZ-07 dash converts certain signals for the ECU or vice versa???

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Just a note on speedo feeds/pickups. A couple years ago I did an engine swap into of my cars and ended up needing a second speed signal for the engine computer since the first (mechanical) was dedicated to the mechanical speedometer and I didn't have room for a splitter. I found that Dakota Digital was in the process of introducing a GPS-based system that works great. Since then, others have come out with similar solutions. Just a thought for others in a similar situation.

The XSR700 connector is identical down to 1 pin, which I assume to be the ABS sensor... last I looke8d.

You can verify this with an abs fz07

• Premium Member

What I was referring to was just a GPS unit/sender. The DD unit I use has variable/adjustable output signal rate so it can provide input to many other things, instruments, computers (for me the GM LS3 engine 'puter), and cruise controls (which seemed to be the original purpose noted by DD) but it does not come with a speedo. Instruments are all separate. I have seen other GPS units today (again, just a GPS unit with sender) for about $100. I don't recall what the DD went for at the time but was certainly more than that but not nearly the cost of the combo unit Hobbs links to above. Certainly, there are more options today, and apparently at better pricing.

Btw, just for info sake, I mounted the GPS itself (built-in antenna) in the enclosed center-console of a fiberglass-bodied car and to my pleasant surprise it picks up the satellite signals adequately, even in my wood-frame garage with lots of stuff in the attic. DD does offer a cheap plug-in, external antenna if needed.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Bumping this one to see if anyone took a stab at successfully swapping in new instruments.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Bumping this one to see if anyone took a stab at successfully swapping in new instruments.
I mounted a slide trombone on my handlebars for a week, but ended up being a bit awkward, so I took it off. 

(rofl)

Archived