The MT-07 Forum

Why I think the seat is rather hard.

level41

On one of my so many commutes, I noticed my butt feeling a lot better when I put my feet on the passenger pegs.
It's not that my feet are carrying more weight, but the position of my legs.
In the standard position, me being 6'4" tall, with 34" inseam, the upper legs aren't really touching the seat; and around the knee section, the difference is even greater!

The only thing touching the seat is my bun, around the tailbone section.
Not very comfy at all...

Placing the feet on the passenger pegs, allows my thighs to rest lower, on the seat, distributing the weight more evenly.
I would estimate this bike to work well for people with a 28-31" inseam.
But even with 33" inseam, nothing of the legs are touching the seat (unless you have really big legs).
The knees hover more than 7" above the seat (bottom of my knees about 1 to 2 inches above the seat).

I figure a better seat for me would be one that has more cushioning in the front, tilting more backwards.

At least, that's what I think of the seating.

This would change the seat angle, and I'd have to say acceleration wise, and wind resistance wise, the seat angle is pretty good.
I mean, at fast acceleration in 2nd to 4th, my tailbone slides backwards hitting the passenger pillion, but braking with a passenger, causes me to slide forward, towards the tank.
If I'm not squeezing the excreta out of my gas tank, it'll perform the traditional nutcracker ritual, permanently damaging the precious jewels!

Anyway.... 
Just thought of sharing...

bigdaddybane

I thought for a second you're kidding but if you're not, I hope you know what you're doing. Putting your feet on the passenger pegs while riding is plain dangerous ... what are you planning to do if you gotta do emergency braking???? Oh boy!

Since 90% of the stopping power comes from the front wheel, I cannot see any real danger in using the rear footpegs for support. Many will not use the rear brake during emergency braking anyway, simply because they want all of their focus on the front brake and its modulation.

• Premium Member
norcal616

Seat Concepts with the gripper material

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I have modded my seat. For me, the seat is perfect as to shape and orientation. It just lacks foam thickness. I have added sheets of neoprene foam (3 x 10mm.= 1 1/4"). One of those sheets has a cutout in the centre to better support just my upper legs. I covered the foam with 1.5mm solid sheet neoprene, which unfortunately is slippery, but it gives a surface tension which helps. It gives me a very comfy ride for up to 3hrs. It seems to me that you need something similar though mainly in your case to increase seat height. 2" to 3" might not look too ridiculous? Or get it professionally done?

Just do it! 

@level41 I am the same height and inseam and I know what you're talking about. I put Gilles tooling rearsets on to give myself a sportier riding position, but I found that the biggest help they provide is repositioning my thighs and knees for gripping the tank. With rearsets my lower thigh and knee align really well with the tank cutouts. Throw some stompgrip pads on there and you're in business. I come up to extremely heavy breaking zones at the track and digging my knee into the tank pad locks me in right where I want to be.

bigdaddybane
Since 90% of the stopping power comes from the front wheel, I cannot see any real danger in using the rear footpegs for support. Many will not use the rear brake during emergency braking anyway, simply because they want all of their focus on the front brake and its modulation.
If you paid attention during the MSF course and btw any instructor out there will teach you this, the emergency braking consists of two separate things ... both FRONT and REAR brake needs to be applied along with emergency downshifting. Please show me one example where they'll teach you or advise you that resting your feet on rear footpegs is a cool idea.    

If you paid attention during the MSF course and btw any instructor out there will teach you this, the emergency braking consists of two separate things ... both FRONT and REAR brake needs to be applied along with emergency downshifting. Please show me one example where they'll teach you or advise you that resting your feet on rear footpegs is a cool idea.    

We always err on the side of caution when dishing out advice on the forums but also we gotta remember "to each their own". I advise against using rear foot pegs but also dont want us to be negative nancy to ea other. A rider is gonna do what they are gonna do.

I think the concern people have with using the rear brake in an emergency situation is the propensity to cause high sides and rear instability. This, in conjunction with the fact that the harder you are on the front brakes the less stopping power you have at the rear leads many to believe that it is more trouble than it's worth. A lot of very skilled road riders and track riders don't use the rear for much other than slick surfaces and stabilization, but to each his own.

Ideally, we should all CAREFULLY practice enough to be comfortable with the extreme ends of every operational aspect of these machines. It may save your life one day.

Edit: And resting your feet on the rear pegs is probably a bad idea. You don't want to be finding the foot pegs when you're dealing with an emergency situation.

Front brake for stopping, rear for steering. Both for emergency stopping .
Back to the seat problem. Motorcyclists don't tend to fit the bike to the person ( not much adjustable bits). A cyclist would never try to fit the person to the bike. MotoGP riders spend a gereat deal of their time fitting their bike ot the rider ( I suspect Superbike riders do as well).
At your size pretty much nothing is gonna fit stock. Don't blame the seat. It is just one of 9 contact points that all are relative to each other and your bio-geometry. The problem isn't just the comfiness of the seat ( OK the 07 seat IS aweful), but how you body and articulations fit on the bike. The 07 is shortish so at your height, if you have longish arms and legs AND body getting you into the cockpit space is gonna be a balancing act.
My initial suggestion is to get bars with the hand grips more forward ( straighter bars, swap the rear canted bar clamps to over the top or MAYBE a bit forward). That will allow ou to move forward on the seat. Don't usually recomment this to most people but you will be less cramped up with slightly higher bars as well. If you have moved the clamp forward this will keep you body angle relatively the same.
Having done that you will have to look at rear set footpegs with adjustable brake and gear heights as your foot will now point downwards at the front.
I know there is a biometric diagram for motorcycle setup on the net but I can't remember where it is. If you find it , you can plug your body and bike dimensions in and it will give you optimium control positions. They are usually optimium comfort positions as well.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Well, I obviously won't be riding like that in city, nor suburban areas. Only for the longer interstate rides.
It also saves me between 2 to 4MPG, and is more comfy overall.
My body does lean forward more, but the wind at 80+ MPH kind of compensates.

It could happen, that I need to emergency brake on the interstates, but that doesn't happen often.
I don't tailgate, nor ride like a hooligan (though I do sometimes ride fast when the lanes are clear).

In the city and suburban areas I always have my feet on the pegs, and always brake with both brakes.
At higher speeds, just releasing the throttle already applies some form of braking.

First time I braked with the rear, I had a rear lockup, because I didn't expect the engine braking to affect braking so much.
The rear brake on this bike is also better than on my last one.

AlbatrossCafe

When I'm riding sometimes I'll dick around in the following positions:

[ul type=disc][*]Main seat with feet on passenger footpegs[*]Main seat with feet on frame sliders
[*]Me on passenger seat with feet on passenger footpegs
[*]Me on passenger seat with feet on frame sliders (that is quite the stretch)[/ul]
If I could get cruise control, I could sit in main seat with feet on frame sliders, lean back, and relax. That is the most comfortable.

Just one more thing about braking; the ABS version will do a stoppie if the grip is good, without the ABS cutting in, and the non-ABS can obviously do the same. Feet on the rear pegs can then be viewed as rearsets since a rear brake can to nothing with the rear wheel a foot off the ground. And we got instructions by the local police who recommended we ignore the rear brake in a panic situation and focus merely on the front brake. Personally, I prefer to apply the rear brake a split second before the front brake to make the bike hunker down so if won't do a stoppie so easily, but in the moment of the heat I may just grab the front brake.

As to comfort; good support and freedom to move is more important than having a soft seat. The seat on my GSX600F was very hard, but I never got a sore behind. The M-07 has a seat that is harder still with less padding, yet is one of the more comfortable seats for me. It would be even better if there was support for my thighs, but there isn't. A taller seat would help in that respect, or lower pegs or pegs set further back.

I think it's safer to use both, just in case there's a problem with either one of them.
(Like one of the sensors not working)

I taught myself to apply a light pressure on the rear brake when braking, because when I'm in a pinch, it's much harder to apply the rear brake in the fraction of the second that it counts for...

That is of course the correct approach, level41. And I do not think it is sensible to ride in city traffic with feet on the rear pegs. But out on the highway or byway with little traffic, the risk of having to make an emergency stop is rather slim. Not nill, but slim. I would argue that if a change in riding position will relieve your bum of pain, you will be more alert, and that in itself is a safety enhancer ;)

We always err on the side of caution when dishing out advice on the forums but also we gotta remember "to each their own". I advise against using rear foot pegs but also dont want us to be negative nancy to ea other. A rider is gonna do what they are gonna do.
I agree 100%! I remember a couple years back on a different web site I had a run in with a "Negative Nancy" but I got slammed by a moderator for correcting them. No good deed goes unpunished. :P 

Beemer

I was hoping there would be someone who knew a more comfy aftermarket seat, that's a little elevated on the front, or sides, to support the mid to upper thighs for taller people?

• Premium Member
norcal616

Seat Concepts has the seat you are probably looking for...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I have the Yamaha comfort seat and like it, however I don't think it would solve your problem. It's even firmer than the original and if you sit on your bones now I don't think you'd like it.

Definitely +1 for the Seat Concepts. If you get the higher one it will help ( a bit) with your ergonomics as well. You may feel a bit more "perched" though.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

@level41 Corbin is another great option. Definitely has more real estate in the thigh area. Very very comfortable on all day rides. Highly recommended. Also, the entire seat can be removed using the passenger pillion key lock. No bolts required, very convenient. Also, I'm 6'4" so I totally get the height issue.

Archived