The MT-07 Forum

Yoshimura Exhaust

motomaniac13

• Premium Member

So unfortunate. i emailed them about the price and they said its not likely to go back down. Shame because the lower price, while the new is still cheaper than many others, was a huge factor steering me towards it. Ixil is looking better and better

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Yes! Revzilla told me a few weeks ago they expect it in stock late march but now yoshimura said they dont expect to have the exhaust ready to send out till late april! So jealous of everyone who picked this amazing piece of pipe up before they were all gone. I have no patience for this lol im contemplating the two bros but i really think its TOO loud.. Especially being in Cali
Have you tried contacting Yoshimura themselves? You're in SoCal, they're in SoCal... maybe they have some in their own stock and you could save money on shipping if you're willing to drive. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I just installed over this past weekend. I still need to install the EJK controller. Holy sh*t it's loud. You get used to it quickly. Sounds amazing. The install wasn't bad. The pitbull stand was helpful. The bracket on the bottom was the biggest hassle. I drove a few miles and it made my weekend. Was cold so I shut it down quickly.

• Premium Member

For those with a yoshi installed, are you running the db killer or no? Is it too loud without it? Also, did you use an RTV sealant when you installed? Thanks

Guest whitegas
For those with a yoshi installed, are you running the db killer or no? Is it too loud without it? Also, did you use an RTV sealant when you installed? Thanks

Sorry, I have baffle in so can't answer. I do wear earplugs and the volume doesn't seem loud, but then one time I had to ride without earplugs and realized even with DB killer, it is fairly loud.

No high-temp silicone needed. May probably want all purpose grease to keep gaskets in while slipping on header, copper anti-seize for O2 sensor, and loctite for mounting brackets (the one that goes directly onto the bike).

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done installing mine in the driveway and taking it for a short but chilly ride. It sounds so much better in person, I installed it with my DB killer in and it still has a lot of grunt. I hope the neighbors aren't to mad in the mornings. I did have to finesse the header pipes a little to find the angle they wanted but it wasn't too bad. From removing the old to installing the new one it took me two hours and two beers, it did help though to watch the video's from Russian Rider and ricochet08 on youtube. For now I am using it with the stock airbox and O2 sensor installed but will probably change that, at least I have already installed an EJK controller. So far I'm very happy.

pantheraleo
Do cat converters come shipped with most exsaust systems and is it required to pass inspections
No cat converter with the Yoshi.

Getting rid of that heavy, ugly thing was a great deal of my motivation for buying the Yoshi full exhaust...

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

I've been riding with my carbon Yoshi for a month. Before buying, I quizzed the company as to whether the exhaust would compromise performance. In the great majority of cases, increasing airflow with a non-factory exhaust reduces back-pressure, which in turn reduces low-end torque. The Yoshimura rep swore up and down that if anything I should see a performance gain.

I also asked in the forum about the experience of others where the consensus seemed to be that performance remained the same.

Well, one month later, I'm not entirely convinced or satisfied. The bike has quite perceptibly lost some of its traffic-light take-off because the power band has inched up the rpm range. It has also developed a small flat spot around 50 mph. Tomorrow I'll be installing an EJK Fuel Controller to try and compensate for these characteristics. This takes up the cost of a complete installation and begs the question: was it worth it?

Unless adding the fuel controller yields an appreciable performance boost across the power band, my answer will be - no. Yes, the pipe looks great and it can get quite loud but you don't ride hanging off your seat to stare at your muffler and many wear ear plugs so the sound is for others. You ride for some spirited fun, and for me it's the fun factor that so far has been diluted with this pipe.

There are no free lunches in nature.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Global Moderator

That does not seem like a free lunch. It sounds like a pretty expensive lunch to me.

The money you pay is to replace the existing exhaust with another exhaust. A piece for a piece. That is not the no free lunch situation. You get a better sounding and looking exhaust and you cut the weight in half. Win, win, win, right? Nooo... There was bound to be a trade-off somewhere for those 3 things. That right there is the no free lunch.

When people say you don't need a fuel controller, they are basically saying you can use that exhaust without harming your bike. That's about it. Yeah, you'll get some torque drop without the fuel controller. You'll get decel popping as well.

Look, it would be nice if every company employee knows every little single detail about their product and they were honest and uncompromising with their information. But that is few and far between and also a dying art. You'll find people who really don't know much about the product they are representing, or just want to sell it, or don't want any conflict. That isn't such a bad thing because let's face it, that can be said for the majority of sales experiences. Maybe the guy you spoke to was just ignorant. Or maybe he just didn't want any conflict by telling you a white lie. Its just how it is these days. Kind of a bummer.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

I'm not actually complaining to the gods... I know what I bought,and why. I've been riding for 35 years. I accepted the likelihood of a performance hit and was not entirely surprised when I incurred one. And I'm finding my own solution. My own case is not especially important: at 65, I have the means to absorb the cost of a less-than-wise purchase, and to move on.

My concern is for the young people out there, struggling with new-bike payments, trying to hold down insecure and underpaid jobs, for whom every cent or penny matters. To them I'd definitely say: consider the whole package and its cost; reflect on the superb out-of-the-box experience you get with these wonderful bikes; and put your money into something far more meaningful than a guttural bark from your pipe: like a well-fitting and solid helmet. You'll live longer and enjoy that longer life more. This aftermarket pipe stuff is for the three people in any State or county who actually spend all their riding time around 9,000 rpm.

I've been riding with my carbon Yoshi for a month. Before buying, I quizzed the company as to whether the exhaust would compromise performance. In the great majority of cases, increasing airflow with a non-factory exhaust reduces back-pressure, which in turn reduces low-end torque. The Yoshimura rep swore up and down that if anything I should see a performance gain. 
I also asked in the forum about the experience of others where the consensus seemed to be that performance remained the same.

Well, one month later, I'm not entirely convinced or satisfied. The bike has quite perceptibly lost some of its traffic-light take-off because the power band has inched up the rpm range. It has also developed a small flat spot around 50 mph. Tomorrow I'll be installing an EJK Fuel Controller to try and compensate for these characteristics. This takes up the cost of a complete installation and begs the question: was it worth it?

Unless adding the fuel controller yields an appreciable performance boost across the power band, my answer will be - no. Yes, the pipe looks great and it can get quite loud but you don't ride hanging off your seat to stare at your muffler and many wear ear plugs so the sound is for others. You ride for some spirited fun, and for me it's the fun factor that so far has been diluted with this pipe.
Let us know how the bike responds to the EJK controller, please. 

• Premium Member
I'm not actually complaining to the gods... I know what I bought,and why. I've been riding for 35 years. I accepted the likelihood of a performance hit and was not entirely surprised when I incurred one. And I'm finding my own solution. My own case is not especially important: at 65, I have the means to absorb the cost of a less-than-wise purchase, and to move on.  
My concern is for the young people out there, struggling with new-bike payments, trying to hold down insecure and underpaid jobs, for whom every cent or penny matters. To them I'd definitely say: consider the whole package and its cost; reflect on the superb out-of-the-box experience you get with these wonderful bikes; and put your money into something far more meaningful than a guttural bark from your pipe: like a well-fitting and solid helmet. You'll live longer and enjoy that longer life more. This aftermarket pipe stuff is for the three people in any State or county who actually spend all their riding time around 9,000 rpm.

I am by no means a struggling young person, but I've been going back and forth about this, and finally decided that perhaps an exhaust will be one of the very last things I do to the bike, if at all.  Everything I have done to the bike was for a positive, performance or safety based reason (with the exception of the fender eliminator because, damn, that fender was hideous) .  With these exhausts, it seems to be more of an aesthetic upgrade -- something that "sounds" and looks better, but doesn't appreciably add performance.  I'm not a racer, and I may never even do a track day -- I am but a humble commuter that wants to ride something fun.  So in my mind, it's not worth spending that grand.  To each his own, but I probably will live with the stock exhaust.  Next upgrade -- suspension :) 

@YZEtc, I'll evaluate the EJK and post my findings later this week.

@so1102, you made some wise choices, the wisest of which, I suggest, was to defer purchasing an expensive exhaust system of questionable merit.

pantheraleo

I don't dispute the reported issues zahir is experiencing. I only offer my experience as another perspective.

I read his post yesterday, and I didn't remember either the loss of torque at the low end, nor a flat spot at 5k. I have experienced the deceleration popping. I took a ride last night and again this morning with those thoughts in mind....and, I still don't see them even when actively looking for them.

My bike is stock. No air filter mods, no snorkel removal, no aftermarket fuel controller. The O2 sensor is installed in the Yoshi. I have the SS Yoshi with the DB killer installed.

I did it to remove weight, and for the very nice sound. I was, and still am, fully prepared to buy a fuel controller from Dobeck if any issues are detected. You may well experience the flat spot or the loss of low end torque if you don't install the fuel controller as he has, or you may not, as I have.

I paid $575 for my full system. But I was fully prepared to drop 250 more if necessary. To date, it has not been and I am very pleased with my purchase.

I wonder if our supporting vendor experienced this phenomenon when he mapped his controller? An interesting question that I may need to ask tuningHQ.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

I too have the SS yoshi with dB killer installed and have not noticed any loss of torque or flat spot either. Only the decel popping. I will pay extra attention to the power and flat spot today when I go ride and see if I notice anything.

First, my thanks to those of you who have reported your (favorable) experiences with the Yoshi. Very informative. More power to your wrists!

Second, my own story looks set to have a happy ending, thanks to the EJK controller installed this morning. The benefits show up in three departments: torque; throttle response; and smoothness.

Torque: using Dobeck's settings for an FZ07 plus Yoshi with stock air filter, torque in first, second and third gears is noticeably stronger from the get-go. Fourth gear was always excellent on this bike, and remains so. Stronger than stock? Yes, I think so, the bike positively leaps forward in any of those gears at relatively low rpm (around 3.5K).

Throttle response: the EJK gives you a rather better throttle, period. The effects of changing wrist positions are not instantaneous, but pretty close to that. There is no hesitation or stumble moving from first through third gears with small or large throttle openings, and transitions up the power band are very quick.

Smoothness: the combined effects of the controller are to smooth out general engine performance, with no noticeable holes. The flat spot has gone. I was actually up to 60 mph in what I thought was fifth gear, when in fact I was in fourth, but it showed no strain and my acceleration was almost linear.  I should add that, with more even fueling at all speeds, engine braking is not as dramatic (!) but rather smoother and more modulated so that you can enjoy decelerating by downshifting without that stock "bronco" effect.

In summary, on a first attempt at some settings on the EJK, I'm relieved and happy to find the fun factor back in spades! Yes, the cost of all this was ridiculous, and probably you could get some very good results by skipping the Yoshi and just using the EJK to change stock fueling; but I do like the look of the Yoshi and now that its working with the motor instead of against it, I quite enjoy its occasional bark!

First, my thanks to those of you who have reported your (favorable) experiences with the Yoshi. Very informative. More power to your wrists! 
Second, my own story looks set to have a happy ending, thanks to the EJK controller installed this morning. The benefits show up in three departments: torque; throttle response; and smoothness.

Torque: using Dobeck's settings for an FZ07 plus Yoshi with stock air filter, torque in first, second and third gears is noticeably stronger from the get-go. Fourth gear was always excellent on this bike, and remains so. Stronger than stock? Yes, I think so, the bike positively leaps forward in any of those gears at relatively low rpm (around 3.5K).

Throttle response: the EJK gives you a rather better throttle, period. The effects of changing wrist positions are not instantaneous, but pretty close to that. There is no hesitation or stumble moving from first through third gears with small or large throttle openings, and transitions up the power band are very quick.

Smoothness: the combined effects of the controller are to smooth out general engine performance, with no noticeable holes. The flat spot has gone. I was actually up to 60 mph in what I thought was fifth gear, when in fact I was in fourth, but it showed no strain and my acceleration was almost linear.  I should add that, with more even fueling at all speeds, engine braking is not as dramatic (!) but rather smoother and more modulated so that you can enjoy decelerating by downshifting without that stock "bronco" effect.

In summary, on a first attempt at some settings on the EJK, I'm relieved and happy to find the fun factor back in spades! Yes, the cost of all this was ridiculous, and probably you could get some very good results by skipping the Yoshi and just using the EJK to change stock fueling; but I do like the look of the Yoshi and now that its working with the motor instead of against it, I quite enjoy its occasional bark!

What did you pay for the ejk controller dobeck? And describe how you installed it

The controller cost $250, with 'free' shipping, from Dobeck's own site.

My installation was influenced by this person's example: http://fz07.org/thread/925/installed-ejk-likin

It took an hour or so and required removing a) both seats; b) all plastic panels around the tank. That way you can access the throttle bodies to wire the controller in-line with the stock ECU. The wiring itself is straightforward and Dobeck supply instructions for that. The time-consuming part is removing the body panels, for which I found no guides but it was not difficult to figure out and required only two Allen keys and a 12mm socket (for the seat removal).

Zahir,
 Very happy to hear that this solved your flat spot and loss of torque!
Thanks for following up and posting your results for the next person who is looking for this solution!
.....happy riding  :D/"

Archived