The MT-07 Forum

Yoshimura Exhaust

motomaniac13

Thank you @Zahir for posting your results with the EJK controller and yoshi exhaust! I might just have to get one now..
Also, are you running without the baffle now that you have the controller?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

love2gro, no, I'm still using the baffle. I guess now that I have full control over various fuel settings, I could remove it and adjust fuel as needed, but I'm not looking for more noise or air flow so will likely stick with the baffle.

I am going to play with the base settings for the Yoshi that are recommended by Dobeck. That's what they are, after all, just a base. For example, in the amount of fuel available at the lower rpm range ("green" zone), I may drop from 5.5 recommended by Dobeck to 5. The stock Yamaha setting for this zone is 3.5 and 5.5 may affect my mpg - we'll see. But it's great to have such precise control over things like that. There are 6 zones of control so the range of adjustment covers the entire fueling cycle, including performance of the fuel pump itself.

Postscript: after I installed the EJK, I received a note from Dobeck strongly recommending that I disconnect the O2 sensor and then apply the base settings for a bike with the Yoshi pipe. I hadn't done that, so I removed the right side cover this morning, unhooked the sensor wire from the harness and tie-strapped it to the frame behind the cover. It took 8 minutes and appearance-wise there's nothing to show it's unhooked.

Have I noticed any difference? Not on a short ride, but at least I know that I'm not confusing the ECU with conflicting signals from the EJK and the sensor.

• Premium Member

Does anyone know where I can actually buy one? it's sold out everywhere I look

• Global Moderator

Have you tried Dobeck in the supporting vendors forum?

• Premium Member
Have you tried Dobeck in the supporting vendors forum?
Yes, Dillon said the expected new batch to come in 3 weeks. 
I also called Yoshimura and gave me an ETA of April 22nd.

Hope they don't sell out that quick now haha trying to save money for it.

Just bought the EJK from Dillon at Dobeck, best customer service!

Motorcycle-superstore (will not ship to California) and revzilla have them in stock now, revzilla will pricematch for us California people. Did you guys change the exhaust gasket when replacing the exhaust?

Postscript: after I installed the EJK, I received a note from Dobeck strongly recommending that I disconnect the O2 sensor and then apply the base settings for a bike with the Yoshi pipe. ...
but at least I know that I'm not confusing the ECU with conflicting signals from the EJK and the sensor.

Huh? clearly you are confused to how the sensor, ecu and EJK work. The O2 sensor feeds signals to the Yamaha ECU which calculates how much deviation (if any) it should make to the pre-programmed injector pulse value it got from looking up some tables. After the signal has left the ECU the EJK intercepts it, modifies it by it's own metrics, and then sends the modified pulse to the injector. 
Removing the O2 sensor signal puts the ECU in "safe" mode which depending on how they wrote the software simply punts in doing any adjustments, or it enriches the signal across the board by some factor just to be safe.

"Confusing" the ECU via the O2 sensor is total rubbish. Unless the EJK's maps or user-supplied settings are completely buggered and dumping fuel to the degree that the ECU tries to compensate by chopping the pulse down to minimums. Of course O2 sensors do go bad, can have a bad wire, or can go completely haywire in the presence of highly oxygenated (or leaded) race fuel. But that's not at issue here.

Is Dobek's stance on pulling the O2 sensor because their device can't compensate sufficiently for the flow characteristics of a Yosh pipe and thus need every enrichment trick they can get out of the precursors (ie. Yam ECU)? Not saying it's impossible but that would be highly unusual.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

To clarify why we recommend disconnecting the stock O2 sensor: 
The EJK extends the injector pulse width which richens the fueling, the stock narrowband O2 reads an overly rich AFR and causes the ECU to reduce the pulse width... we extend the pulse width, the stock ECU reduces it because of the O2 sensor. 
If you disconnect the O2, then we can correct the fueling without conflict with the ECU. Leave the O2 sensor connected, and the bike will run at the stock emissions compliant fueling during low rpm and light load cruising.  We are still able to adjust the fueling for acceleration and full throttle with the O2 sensor connected.

-TuningHQ

d5c39f57-59c4-41a4-b04f-036c853f2a64_zpse3f79d78.jpg

As you described during the tug of war happening with the O2 sensor enabled, that in the case of the Yosh, the amount of fuel needed to hit the goal was beyond the range of the EJK's ability to compensate.

With O2 enabled if the ECU was sending a '0' and the EJK was adding it's max compensation (arbitrarily picking the value of '5') even though the injector really needed an '8' to achieve the ideal 3% CO.

Versus, with the O2 disabled, I was hypothesizing that the ECU was sending a '2' or some non-zero number such that adding the MAX value from the EJK (eg. '5') the proper result was achievable.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

On the FZ-07, the stock O2 sensor connected will win the tug of war every time and override any fuel changes being made.
The ECU with O2 enabled will usually be pulling fuel to lean out the AFR to emissions regulations.
That's why we recommend disconnecting the O2 sensor so we have control of the fueling.

An aftermarket exhaust will usually not affect the AFR enough to max any of the fuel settings. This is why exhaust manufacturers will say their exhaust does not require a tuner. Fuel corrections are small.

Even if the fuel changes required were large, the EJK is only limited by the injector size. Most performance mods available for the FZ-07 would not require you to max the injector to 100% pulse width.

On the FZ-07, the stock O2 sensor connected will win the tug of war every time and override any fuel changes being made.
I don't understand this. Your device is down-stream of the ECU and intercepts the pulse signals. The ECU (at behest of O2 sensor readings) can effectively generate a zero or very small number. Your device knows all of the other inputs the ECU was using and can thus override this really small number since you know 'zero' is bogus and can calculate what it should be and generate the correct pulse for the injector (up to 100%). 
What am I missing?
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

The O2 sensors calculations are making fuel changes just as fast as we are. Any extension of the pulse width the EJK does, is reduced by the O2 sensor pulling fuel.

For example: If the EJK extends the output pulse width 5%, the O2 sensor will reduce pulse width to get back to the target AFR, then the EJK would extend that smaller pulse width by 5%, followed by the O2 sensor reducing it.
This happens back and forth until the O2 sensor is adding/pulling small amounts of fuel to maintain the target AFR.

-TuningHQ

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Does anyone have problems trying to slid in the baffle on the Yoshi exhaust? my baffle doesnt go in all the way to where it screws in, any ideas?

• Premium Member

To answer my own question, i used a rubber mallet and hit it hard until it aligned :P

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my exhaust installed with K&N and Power Commander. What a difference! The bike has much more power in the mid and a bit more up top and it sounds sooo much better. I just used the map for the full exhaust / intake from the Power Commander website and it appears to be very close. Very happy with the install and it was overall very easy to complete the entire install.

That is a good looking exhaust! I wonder how it holds up against my favourite so far, the Akrapovič. What's up with all those members getting free stuff anyway. Why does that never happen in Canada? Oh wait..
I can tell you're one of the few that pronounce Akrapovic correctly. 

[video src=https://youtu.be/KpezLupIFGQ]

Beemer

I ordered an R-77 in stainless today. Can't wait to have my FZ sound like a real motorcycle.

• Global Moderator
I ordered an R-77 in stainless today. Can't wait to have my FZ sound like a real motorcycle.
Gratz man, i think the stainlsss looks better than the carbon anyway. It sounds awesome with the baffle out. And that wimpy horn yamaha gave to us? Forget it. Just bounce it off the rev limiter. It'll get their attention rather quickly

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
Gratz man, [strong]i think the stainlsss looks better than the carbon anyway[/strong]. It sounds awesome with the baffle out. And that wimpy horn yamaha gave to us? Forget it. Just bounce it off the rev limiter. It'll get their attention rather quickly
:-[ I think they both look really nice. [attachment id=333" thumbnail="1]
Also FYI, I price matched my ugly Yoshimura carbon fiber exhaust using Revzilla's price match feature. Got my carbon fiber exhaust for a few bucks cheaper than what they offer the SS one for! It saved me a little over $50! 8-)
I freekin love how it sounds even with the baffle in. Once I get an intake and Power Commander then I'll pull it out. I already have to kill the engine down the block from my house so as not to wake my landlords... I'll have to run my bike like Fred Flintstone for a mile with the baffle pulled out!

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

• Global Moderator
Gratz man, [strong]i think the stainlsss looks better than the carbon anyway[/strong]. It sounds awesome with the baffle out. And that wimpy horn yamaha gave to us? Forget it. Just bounce it off the rev limiter. It'll get their attention rather quickly
:-[ I think they both look really nice. 
Also FYI, I price matched my ugly Yoshimura carbon fiber exhaust using Revzilla's price match feature. Got my carbon fiber exhaust for a few bucks cheaper than what they offer the SS one for! It saved me a little over $50! 8-)
I freekin love how it sounds even with the baffle in. Once I get an intake and Power Commander then I'll pull it out. I already have to kill the engine down the block from my house so as not to wake my landlords... I'll have to run my bike like Fred Flintstone for a mile with the baffle pulled out!

it's not that much louder with the baffle out, about 2db according to my meter.  but screw the landlords. their fault for going to bed so early :P

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I found this in my travels:

DB info. The following are at idle, 2k, and 5k:
Stock exhaust: 75.2, 80.7, 91.0
With silencer: 83.3, 88.7, 99.7
W/O silencer: 85.3, 89.8, 102.7

Dustin

Archived