The MT-07 Forum

The Good and the Bad

faffi

The GOOD
Engine - since I first began riding in 1980, this by far the best motor I've ever tried! 
Ergonomics - for a modern bike this is roomy and well laid out
Brakes - this thing stops, is easy to modulate, and then there is the ABS to save your bacon if you get too excited

The BAD
Suspension - most jarring ride I can remember. Ever!
Headlight - when properly adjusted for high beam, low beam barely exceeds the front wheel
Instruments - placed too low, too close and on top difficult to read
Switchgear - looks like toys and functionally flawed. Indicator hard to engage, horn too easy to engage, high/low beam switch stiff to flip
Pillion - not suitable for grownups
Rear wheel - too wide. A 150/60 would make the bike nimbler, more stable and help the suspension at the cost of looking a bit less butch

However, for me at least, the engine makes up for everything. It pulls like a bomb from just about idle, doesn't vibrate annoyingly, is frugal, sounds fantastic - what more could you ask? This bike puts a grin on my face every time I twist the throttle and the rest lose significance.

• Premium Member

Yup, engine is awesome!

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

From my perspective as urban commuter primarily

The GOOD
Engine - Love it!
Ergonomics - OK even for an older guy with knee probs
Brakes - OK
Agility - Flickable and easy to manouver in traffic
Economy - Low insuranse and good milage

The BAD
Suspension - They all say so but it's OK for me for now but that might change
Instruments - placed too low, too close
Switchgear - never can find the horn button when I want it
Wind sensitivity - I don't like this bike at high speeds on a windy day, compare to my old Bandit 1200 that always felt planted
The seat - Slippery nut crusher seat, switched to the comfort seat and it was better
Lack of storage - goes for most bikes these days though

The UGLY
Missing pieces - Needs a windscreen, frame sliders etc to look complete, looks like they were taken off

I hardly ever use the horn on purpose, but I always hit it :D Going to try and turn the switchgear so that the horn button comes higher and the indicator switch up where I am used to have it.

As to the seat, I have yet to slide much - I can place my bum wherever I want and it will remain there until a sharp hump bump me off the seat due to the stiff suspension.

Interesting that you find the suspension stiff when I find it at the mushy side stock, with the sag set to 30 mm at the rear it's a comfy ride.
Do you have aftermarket suspension?

No, I have the stock shock. The spring is so darned stiff I bent my tool trying to adjust it to a lower preload setting. It seems to be sitting 3 notches from max. Compression damping is also harsh, rebound sorely missed. Can't wait for my Nitron to arrive. I'm 220 lb with gar, 200 lb net.

[div]THE GOOD

I have a bike to ride.

THE BAD

I can't drink while riding it.
[/div]

Beemer

No, I have the stock shock. The spring is so darned stiff I bent my tool trying to adjust it to a lower preload setting. It seems to be sitting 3 notches from max. Compression damping is also harsh, rebound sorely missed. Can't wait for my Nitron to arrive. I'm 220 lb with gar, 200 lb net.
I think it is set 3 notches from min, not max? 
I'm still confused by the stock suspension. There should at least be a basic guideline for settings (3=160lb, 5=180lb, etc). What is the guideline?

It nearly throws me from my seat on big bumps, something even my POS Ninja 250 didn't do, but I can't even decide which way to adjust it based on this symptom.

• Premium Member

@tarmac   I believe more helpful than guidelines would be knowing how to check your rider sag, which is also weight dependent. If you know how to properly adjust sag you can apply the principle to any suspension mods you make as well as on stock for a better ride.

Here's a link to a video that describes how to check and set your sag if you're not already familiar with how to do it:

https://fz07.org/thread/7442/another-good-sag-video
Good luck figuring out how to fix your harsh ride.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
@tarmac   I believe more helpful than guidelines would be knowing how to check your rider sag, which is also weight dependent. If you know how to properly adjust sag you can apply the principle to any suspension mods you make as well as on stock for a better ride. 
Here's a link to a video that describes how to check and set your sag if you're not already familiar with how to do it:

https://fz07.org/thread/7442/another-good-sag-video
Good luck figuring out how to fix your harsh ride.

Yes, set sag first.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I think it is set 3 notches from min, not max? 

Mine was adjusted by the PO. Don't know what tool he used, but it must have been solid stuff.

Archived