The MT-07 Forum

Salvage Value?

baron

My wife let her friend ride her 2015 fz07 on friday and she crashed it.  She ran out of a corner and it went down in the desert dirt, but the Front forks are bent and there are some body scratches.  but most of the bike seems perfectly fine. frame is good, wheels are good. brake parts and engine all good.  even the handlebars are fine,  just the brake lever slightly bent.  We didn't have collision insurance,  So the dilemma is whether to fix it or sell it for salvage and get her a new ABS model.

any advice or info on what a crashed bike like this might be worth would be appreciated.
It's at the dealer now getting a repair estimate so I can't post any pics just yet.

and our friend is still in the ICU at Desert regional with a bad concussion (yes she had a helmet)  :(

Not ready for salvage, it's not near totalled.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member
norcal616

New fork assembles will be $400ea
Body panels are like $75ea
Brake pedal was like $35
If the fork tubes are all the major damages and engine/frame are still great, I would buy some new forks and swap them out myself and swap out body panels and fit a new brake lever...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. I low-sided about a year ago with similar damage (-1 bent fork) and those prices are spot on. You'll be out for hopefully around 1k. Not the worst option, definitely not salvaged.

Just inspect the frame at the gooseneck VERY carefully. Look for chipped paint.

Should also put in steering head bearings, check the front rim, and the wheel bearings.

Any hit that bends the forks is strong enough to damage these.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Hope she pulls through OK. I wonder if the repairs are going to put the bike in the "totaled" category. Hard to say what to do until they have a verdict. 

Beemer

Well the bike is a total. the frame head where the triple tree goes is tweaked. It looks like the rider's insurance will handle a claim so they will take it. Our friend is still in the ICU, still sedated but they hope to take out the tubes today and let her wake up fully. Severe head trauma, several broken vertebrae, a few broken ribs and a broken arm.

Ride Safe everyone. Honor your skill limits.

• 1 month later...

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

Got a low mileage replacement bike. All put together for the wife. Exhaust, white levers, fly screen, tail tidy, flash ecu swapped, crash bobbins, white chinese front turn signals, integrated tail tidy.

Our friend who crashed the old bike is finally out of the hospital and back home with a long road of phys therapy.

I'm glad your wife's friend is out of the hospital! Hopefully her recovery goes well. It's too bad the bike was totalled.

you can get very nice replacement stanchions for about $130/set. absolutely no reason to pay princely sums for an entire fork leg(s).

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived