The MT-07 Forum

Was the engineer drunk?

faffi

I went to remove the front fender yesterday in order to fit a fenda extenda. Only to learn, after a lot of cussing and removing stuff I shouldn't have to, that the wheel needs to come off first >:(  Something I cannot do until I get a paddock stand for the bike.

Anyway, apart from not being able to remove it with the wheel in situ, the whole construnction looks like something coming out of England back the the 1950s. Or made by me when in need to "fix" something without the proper tools and material. There are so many lugs on the fork legs, and brakets over, under and behind that it makes me want to - sigh. I cannot see a single reason for the complexity and number of parts. It is hopefully the least elegant solution on the whole bike - it even makes the rider seat mounting solution appear innovative and elegant in comparison (rofl)

• Premium Member

More than 12345775357 of us have used ratchet straps from the garage rafters to hold the front end up to pull the forks off...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I'd still want a stand for the rear wheel to make sure the bike sits upright and secure. And when I first have the stand, I can use a jack under the engine to lift the front. However, this is beside my point about the silly front fender construction :D

Why remove the fender just to fit the extender?

Though I must admit it would have save us all
a lot of trouble if they had fitted a fender
that actually worked in the first place.

Removing it will be to better make sure all is clean and also to get full pressure while the glue hardens with clamps.

Last time I removed my fender, I had to go back to some old pictures to figure out where the black vs. silver grommets went. Yeah, lots of fasteners.

the lower and mid side plastics on my Aprilia are held in place with 18 screws - each side. The ones on the bottom are different from the ones on the mid and there are different lengths within the mid and bottom hardware.

That bike's front wheel also must be off before removing the fender, but it comes off pretty easy w/o an engineering degree or digital picts.

BTW, be careful with the clip that holds the brake hose at the back of the fender. Only pivot it open it as far as you have to to remove the hose.

My dad made me and my brothers learn to do everything while he relaxed in the living room. Got kids?

Beemer

It's funny to see this as I just installed mine a few days ago and was baffled by it as well. I ended up leaving it unbolted and propped up while I cleaned the area and then used epoxy to secure the extender. I had to wipe some excess away twice with alcohol but it seems to have worked out. Would have been a lot better if I would have been able to remove it and had it at a proper angle. Oh well.

If you first remove the side plastics and then sneak your 8mm wrench in between the wheel and the mounting bracket where it attaches to the fork you can remove everything without removing the wheel. The problem is getting to those bolts, but you have about an inch of clearance to get in there.

Unless I'm completely missing something. I've taken the front end apart ten different times and I'm trying to remember if I've actually pulled the fender without removing the wheel. If no one else thinks it's possible I'll attempt and video the event for posterity.

The fender is too wide at the back to slip through the stanchions - I tried. Hard! Because it looked like it was going to be OK. Too late I decided to measure, and the fender is about 10 mm too wide to slip through. So it must come down.

Yeah, removing the wheel and keeping the fender in place should work with the clamps I have.

• Premium Member

+1 for what @ddog said. This is exactly how I removed my fender for cleaning and application of extension. It took a fair bit of gentle squeezing of the plastics to clear the forks with slow manipulation of the brake lines but it'll come outa there. A bit of a PIA but still less fuss than removing the wheel IMO. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

So I apparently need to practice my Houdini act, then, because there was no way I could lure it out. Perhaps if I had remove the headlight to get a bit more room :-S  Or, more likely, you're more clever than me  8-|

If you first remove the side plastics and then sneak your 8mm wrench in between the wheel and the mounting bracket where it attaches to the fork you can remove everything without removing the wheel. The problem is getting to those bolts, but you have about an inch of clearance to get in there.  
Unless I'm completely missing something. I've taken the front end apart ten different times and I'm trying to remember if I've actually pulled the fender without removing the wheel. If no one else thinks it's possible I'll attempt and video the event for posterity.
1st time I did this, I also removed that bracket from the forks. When it came time to putting it back together, i  spent 30 mins trying to figure out which bracket went where and even which side was up.  
I now leave that bracket on the fork sliders -  those 2 trim pieces come off 1st.

Even with the wheel out of the way, the fender has to be tipped at an angle to clear the legs. One complicated bit of kit.

Only times I've removed the fender was to pull the forks out, so I've never actually tried doing the fender w/o pulling the wheel 1st. Maybe it can be done. Then again, maybe not.

Archived