The MT-07 Forum

Rear axle stuck?

skev303

Hey guys, I've adjusted the chain plenty of times, but never the the rear wheel off.

So anyway went to change chain and sprox, removed axle nut, cracked chain and removed, front sprox off, and I can't get the axle to tap through the wheel. 

Is the axle plate on the caliper side attached to the axle? Or does the axle hold it on? Do I need to do nothing else to tap the axle through the wheel? 

Any help is appreciated

I would check to make sure you have the slot on the caliper mounting bracket properly aligned with the swingarm. If you shine a light through you should be able to see where things aren't lining up.

EDIT: I'm not sure if you meant you can't get the axle out or that you can't get it back in. If you can't get it out just lay over the passenger pillion facing the same direction as the bike, lift directly upwards on the rear wheel, and pull out the shaft. Nothing holds the shaft in place other than the axle nut.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

According to the service manual, you need to loosen the chain puller locknut and chain adjusting nut before you remove the axle. Did you loosen these nuts?

• Premium Member

If you've never taken the rear wheel off and the bike has lived a life outdoors, the first pull might be rough if there is nothing to lubricate its release and crud is stuck in there.

The axle is shaped like a "T" - with the threaded portion being the bottom of the "T", and small protrusions on the brake caliper side. The aluminum plate the protrusions rest upon on the caliper side is not part of the axle, but the protrusions fit into a recess in the plate.

Lift the rear wheel with one hand and tap the axle gently with a rubber mallet on the threaded portion. If it won't give, you could try a little aerosol solvent around the axle, but it should pop out once you lift the wheel to relieve pressure upon the components.

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

Archived