The MT-07 Forum

Importing FZ-07 from United States

rogueone

Hi guys
I made this account to try to get some information on importing an fz from the states to Toronto. Canada doesn't have the dark gray model with blue frames.
I can't find any good classifieds for the US. The ones I looked at don't have too many fz-07's. Any help here would be much appreciated!
Also, let me know if a dealer has an 2015 fz-07 dark gray with blue frames preferably from New York or states closer to Ontario. :)

You could always buy any of the bikes with a blue frame and put the dark grey plastics on. The plastics can be bought for about $160 U.S. dollars from yamahapartshouse.com. I bet that would be cheaper than importing, but i have no idea what you need to have it inspected / paperwork for using a U.S. bike.

here is a link to Transport Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/transport/road/importing-vehicle.html

I have never done it but I have had friends that do it all the time. They just have all the paper work ready when you get to the boarder and have no trouble what so ever. When you get the vehicle here you will need a safety on it even if it's new.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

See if you can get a 2016 silver FZ-07 with the blurple frame and wheels, since that is sold in Canada. You can order the graphite body panels from the States like @flooger mentions. This may be an easier option, good luck with your search.

• Global Moderator
See if you can get a 2016 silver FZ-07 with the blurple frame and wheels, since that is sold in Canada. You can order the graphite body panels from the States like @flogger mentions. This may be an easier option, good luck with your search.
Exactly. It makes no sense to waste money on importing a FZ07. Looking at the exchange rate alone, you will probably end up loosing money. Then there is the paperwork, transport, safety, lack of warranty etc..
And changing body panels is cheap and easy. We even have a section on this forum where you can trade your body panels with someone that prefers a silver bike instead of graphite. No money involved, just shipping. 

I didn't know the tank body panel was swapable! That's awesome. Thank you guys.
Do you guys know if they changed anything for the 2016 or 2017 model? Will the 2015's gray fit 2016 or 2017
And do you guys know of any site that sells the gray body fairing with an option to ship to Canada?

• Global Moderator

Yes it is! And it is a relatively cheap option too. The only thing you need to do when purchasing a bike is look at the frame colour. You have silver, black and purple. The silver grey is of course for real men, the black is a close second and the purple is well yeah.. ;)

Your best bet is to order the body panels at the Yamaha dealership. They should be able to order any colour Yamaha has on offer. They are not that expensive and with shipping, exchange rate brokerage and tax it will probably be more expensive to order them stateside.

And yes, 2015, '16 and '17 are all interchangeable.

Heard from dealer here in Canada that body panels are something like $250 total to make a color swap. If not mistaking you only need 3 pieces to make that swap (2 sides and front fender). And super easy to swap yourself (bunch of bolts). Only tricky one I know (for side panels) are the ones in the black air inlet panel that your knees cover when riding. These (2 bolts - one each side) are a small HEX size and are very cheaply made (compare to all other ones on the bike) so they strip right away. Those bolts ahve a kind of Loctite powder on them from factory so they are hard to break at first. When I dismantle my body parts (to install new LED relay) I stripped the left side right away and was stuck to use a chisel to break lose that bolt. Order new one afterward from the dealer and he told they were back order (acknowledging these were weak). Right side of bike went fine but bolt was hard to break lose and make sure your all the way in the HEX whole before applying pressure counter-clock wise to break it lose. When re-installing these I put some grease on them so don't have same issue again.
Hope this helps

• Premium Member

I've pulled all my panels off as well as bar ends, headlight etc..My bike must have been made the day the gorillas were on holiday/vaction and the Loctite supply was limited. I've not found anything that was outrageously tight. Hopefully that trend continues when I go to rebuilt the forks and I'm attempting to loosen the piston rod bolts. *crosses fingers*

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator
Heard from dealer here in Canada that body panels are something like $250 total to make a color swap. If not mistaking you only need 3 pieces to make that swap (2 sides and front fender). And super easy to swap yourself (bunch of bolts). Only tricky one I know (for side panels) are the ones in the black air inlet panel that your knees cover when riding. These (2 bolts - one each side) are a small HEX size and are very cheaply made (compare to all other ones on the bike) so they strip right away. Those bolts ahve a kind of Loctite powder on them from factory so they are hard to break at first. When I dismantle my body parts (to install new LED relay) I stripped the left side right away and was stuck to use a chisel to break lose that bolt. Order new one afterward from the dealer and he told they were back order (acknowledging these were weak). Right side of bike went fine but bolt was hard to break lose and make sure your all the way in the HEX whole before applying pressure counter-clock wise to break it lose. When re-installing these I put some grease on them so don't have same issue again. Hope this helps
Isn't the front fender two pieces?  Also, some colour combos like red have neutral black fender pieces so you wouldn't have to swap them at all.

There is also a top strip on the gastank where the side pieces click into that needs to be replaced if you do a full colour swap. So it would be 5 pieces or 3 pieces depending on the front fender.

• Premium Member

@guruMy 2017 US ABS model, which is only available in red, has black center/primary section of front fender with red side pieces for a 3 piece configuration.
My tank's center plastic piece is textured flat black plastic that isn't painted that I can tell.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator
@guru My 2017 US ABS model, which is only available in red, has black center/primary section of front fender with red side pieces for a 3 piece configuration. My tank's center plastic piece is textured flat black plastic that isn't painted that I can tell.
I didn't know.  The 2015 red one has unpainted black plastic fender pieces. And as far as I know there is a piece of painted plastic underneath the textures black plastic piece you mention. 

6000000011.jpg

• Premium Member
@guru My 2017 US ABS model, which is only available in red, has black center/primary section of front fender with red side pieces for a 3 piece configuration. My tank's center plastic piece is textured flat black plastic that isn't painted that I can tell.
I didn't know.  The 2015 red one has unpainted black plastic fender pieces. And as far as I know there is a piece of painted plastic underneath the textures black plastic piece you mention. 

6000000011.jpg

You're right. My tank is the same as yours. My apologies for assuming you were speaking specifically of the obvious black piece on top of the red plastic. :) 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator
Heard from dealer here in Canada that body panels are something like $250 total to make a color swap. If not mistaking you only need 3 pieces to make that swap (2 sides and front fender). And super easy to swap yourself (bunch of bolts). Only tricky one I know (for side panels) are the ones in the black air inlet panel that your knees cover when riding. These (2 bolts - one each side) are a small HEX size and are very cheaply made (compare to all other ones on the bike) so they strip right away. Those bolts ahve a kind of Loctite powder on them from factory so they are hard to break at first. When I dismantle my body parts (to install new LED relay) I stripped the left side right away and was stuck to use a chisel to break lose that bolt. Order new one afterward from the dealer and he told they were back order (acknowledging these were weak). Right side of bike went fine but bolt was hard to break lose and make sure your all the way in the HEX whole before applying pressure counter-clock wise to break it lose. When re-installing these I put some grease on them so don't have same issue again. Hope this helps

On the graphite there are 7 pieces
3 tank panels 2 front fender bits and 2 tail bits

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Agreed for the 2 front fender ones (looked too fast at it) but on my grey bike the 2 tail bits are black so no need to change these.
Same for other colors? Anyway pretty cheap bottom line to do a color swap.

Very helpful thank you guys.
Can someone model number for US graphite version with blue frames?
I can't see the 2015 version at Yamaha's website anymore. There seem to be a small colour difference (based on the pictures I saw) between Canadian gray and US Graphite so I don't want to get the wrong panels.

• Premium Member
Very helpful thank you guys. Can someone model number for US graphite version with blue frames?
I can't see the 2015 version at Yamaha's website anymore. There seem to be a small colour difference (based on the pictures I saw) between Canadian gray and US Graphite so I don't want to get the wrong panels.

Check out this page:
https://fz07.org/thread/3088/available-factory-colors-fz07-mt07

Archived