The MT-07 Forum

Not really a problem: Oil seepage suspect at starter seal

r1limited

Just noticed some oil seepage a few drops on the ground.  Since I am at work cannot really do a full investigation. but I suspect the starter o ring is failing

2016 maybe 2500 on it thus far.  Visually looks like it is in the starter area, did some searching with no findings so I am curious if any others have seen this.

No I have not over filled
No I have not over torqued
There is no evidence of Oil filter leak
There is no evidence of oil ring leakage on straight screw of the crank

I do see and found the starter a tad shiny, so a paper towel to it and boom.  Me thinks the Starter seal to the crank is it as there is a o ring and gasket there

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Could it not be from the chain or seal beind the front sprocket, heard of a few of those leaking
but I have never seen the starter seal leak, that's not to say it cant of course.
It does have a O ring in there.

Nope this was clear clean fluid. Oddly I found what I believe is the source, as the overflow drain had oil in it and was clear as well. I suspect though I did not see the evidence of spuuge snot pronounced SPOO-GEE snot from oil misting. Normally I would expect this out the head flow but I suspect the misting is a result crank or head vent pushing some oil mist and then collating moister in the overflow down. Micro Fiche wont show it, I need to pull it any way to get to the ECO. Did not see anything on todays run home, so me thinks I am right.  I am assuming this as it would make sense to vent the head and crank into a sub system such as the tank over flow.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived