The MT-07 Forum

Anyone re-gear their bike?

topazsparrow

topazsparrow

After installing the Active Tune and Akra TI, the bike has unruly amounts of torque in pretty much every gear. I find myself in 6'th gear trying to find a 7'th, even on slower back roads now.

Anyone have any experience putting a taller sprocket set on? Maybe 1st gear will be of use after.

+1 (+6.5%) on front sprocket works great. Vortex makes the sprocket.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

I have always wanted less rpm on my bikes when cruising, but this is the first I find to be OK. My Virago 1100 scrambler project was geared a little taller than stock because I used an 18in rear wheel instead of the stock 15in, and turned only 3300 rpm @60 mph. Yet it still sounded busy. I geared my Z650 to turn 4000 rpm @ 60 instead of the stock 4500, yet it still sounded busy. But the MT07 hardly change the way it sounds, whether it is turning 3000 or 5000 rpm. Could well be down to the exhaust system; my Triumph 900 sounded very, very busy with the Thuderbird system, and like it was idling even turning 5000 rpm with a Daytona racing system.

peteinpa, Been meaning to regear up, but when I last looked only available option was rechain(520) and sprocket. It was a while ago. Does it need a new chain or is there enough forward adjustment to put the bigger sprocket on? Bit worried that would make the effective swingarm length shorter and make the rear weight bias worse.  Be nice if I could get a smaller rear actually.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-3567-17-Front-Sprocket-17-Tooth-/292124724275?fits=Model%3AFZ07&hash=item4403fd8c33:g:XKwAAOSwn-tZIP7t&vxp=mtr

$33.95 now. Price has gone up. Pays to buy during the winter.

Here's the thread you want.  
https://fz07.org/thread/810/talk-chain-sprocket-upgrades

Works great, I'd be surprised if you could feel the shorter wheelbase. Probably equals less than 1/4 inch.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

I went up +2 on the rear sprocket , and swapped to an X-chain and really dig the acceleration now. I don't think it's buzzy on the interstate and I cruise ...75-80mph

I have a 17t front, no need to change the chain.
It definitely makes 1st gear better.
If you're laying on the handlebars, the front wheel is difficult to come up at around 6600RPM anymore in 1st gear.
2nd gear you can go all out quite safely on dry asphalt.
The gearing works really well up to 45MPH.
If you find yourself going beyond 45MPH a lot, and want better fuel economy, and lower engine RPM, you'll have to change the rear sprocket as well.

You can add a 42 or sometimes even a 41t in the rear (with a 17t up front), without shortening the chain.

I'm in the process of installing a 38t in the rear after the 17t front, but have some clearance issues (I think), due to shortening the chain by 2 links.

Archived