The MT-07 Forum

That sound!!

tony04

So like many others have said, I have the engine ticking. I can't remember where abouts online I read one person talking about the different characteristics of his noises, but it seems to be getting worse/louder and I can't seem to find where I read their post. Basically I've started riding more frequently with the weather getting better. I know the sound is not coming from the drive chain, at idle when first starting up I can not hear it. After getting to temp the sounds become more apparent, while riding if I shift my left knee out away from the tank it becomes very loud. I've also noticed that it's tempo relates to the rpm level and if I clutch in the noise quiets down greatly. I've read endlessly online about how these bikes are just noisy in general but at what point should I become more concerned with the level of ticking increasing in volume. The bike has 2100 miles. I'm getting discouraged at this point because I can't really find any answers and am not mechanically inclined enough to know if the sound is bad enough to warrant a trip to the dealer. Obviously this topic has been discussed many many times but after every time I read online I feel as if I am still completely unsure because there's a handful of "it could be this, or could be that" forum posts. Is my best bet to just pony up the money to have the dealership look it over. Any ways thanks for any suggestions!!

• Premium Member

A video of the sound will help out trying to determine what it is...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

topazsparrow

if you're super worried, just take it to the dealer.

Their mechanics will know if something is wrong much more quickly than anyone on these forums.

The valves are noisy on these bikes and the stock exhaust is very quiet. Combine that with warmer weather and resulting thinner oil and it'll get louder. As long as your bike is under warranty, monitor the situation and take it for a check up before the warranty expires.

After 2100 miles, if anything was legitimately faulty, it likely would have broken by now.

I've got the same sound. It has seemed to go away with the new exhaust haha. I was just chocking it up to thin oil. I've had the same issue on other vehicles i have owned. switched to a thicker oil and problem was solved. I'd start there if I were you. one of the cheaper options before heading to the dealer

Try this. Lift the hood of your car while it's idling and listen to it working. It's the same with the bike's engine. You have to remember we're sitting right on top of our un-covered engines. We will hear the noises it makes.

Beemer

Forgot to mention that I have the m4 with baffle installed. Concern just comes from the noise getting louder ? I will try changing the oil and see what's happens. Thx!

I wear earplugs. On the last ride, I failed to get them fully inserted, and they worked their way out a bit. You can quickly become paranoid when you do not filter the mechanical noises away. Once the earplugs were back in properly, the engine sounded healthy and sound again :D

Forgot to mention that I have the m4 with baffle installed. Concern just comes from the noise getting louder ? I will try changing the oil and see what's happens. Thx!
HEMI's are known for ticking. maybe our engine is as well :P

Hmm, if ya think this little motor is noisy, find a Rotax powered Aprilia to have a ride on. I used to think my old airhead twins had a clatter until I started riding my Aprilia. After a test ride, I told the dealer it sounded like it had terminal piston slap. That clatter hasn't changed much in 15 years. It's also got a wee tick at idle that I can only hear while sitting on the bike with a helmet on and earplugs out.

Earplugs are a wonderful thing.

Same noise here, I find it's prominent if i cruise at anywhere under 3,800rpm, any where higher it's much quieter/smoother. Also have an M4 with baffle.

Generally yamaha ticking (they are pretty known for it) is either from the automatic cam chain tensioner not keeping the chain at the ideal tension (too loose), or it's just normal valve train noise (which may have changed slightly as the valve clearances may have changed slightly). Not generally anything to worry about. If the bike's under warranty definitely get it checked out, or just get it checked out if you can't sleep at night lol. Unlikely to be anything serious though.

ninjaiceberg
Generally yamaha ticking (they are pretty known for it) is either from the automatic cam chain tensioner not keeping the chain at the ideal tension (too loose), or it's just normal valve train noise (which may have changed slightly as the valve clearances may have changed slightly). Not generally anything to worry about. If the bike's under warranty definitely get it checked out, or just get it checked out if you can't sleep at night lol. Unlikely to be anything serious though.
Seconding the chain tensioner. I was watching Revzilla's review on the XSR900 yesterday and they did mention the chain tensioner is something they'd change on that bike because it has been a problem. Not saying that's the issue you're having though. 

Your oil is being broken down each time you ride it, It's getting thinner, especially when it gets hot, so it's going to get louder. That's why it doesn't make noise when you first start it up, it's cooler and thicker. Every time I ride my bike it also gets harder to shift into 1st gear when I stop at lights because the oil gets hot and thin. At the end of each ride when I've been putting at 30 mph. for the last 5 minutes and letting the engine oil cool down and thicken the shifting gets easier again. Every day it's like this. It's a characteristic of oil. Seriously, give peoples advice a chance before you go to a shop and pay just to have them tell you the same thing. Or, heaven forbid, tell you you needed a new part you didn't need just to make some money. That's not uncommon.

Beemer

Your oil is being broken down each time you ride it, It's getting thinner, especially when it gets hot, so it's going to get louder. That's why it doesn't make noise when you first start it up, it's cooler and thicker. Every time I ride my bike it also gets harder to shift into 1st gear when I stop at lights because the oil gets hot and thin. At the end of each ride when I've been putting at 30 mph. for the last 5 minutes and letting the engine oil cool down and thicken the shifting gets easier again. Every day it's like this. It's a characteristic of oil. Seriously, give peoples advice a chance before you go to a shop and pay just to have them tell you the same thing. Or, heaven forbid, tell you you needed a new part you didn't need just to make some money. That's not uncommon.
Spot on.  The automatic cam chain tensioner also relies on the oil to operate, so viscosity will affect its tension (if his noise is indeed from the CCT).  I've also had really good experience with motul 7100 ester synthetic when it comes to ticking and shifting smoothness with my R6.  It seems to maintain the viscosity/slickness the bike likes for longer than any other oil i've used.  Not a cheap oil though. 

Glad people mentioned oil, with 2100 on it its IMO way over due for an oil change and filter. Adding that the bucket and shim system on these bikes are ticky (Ya out to hear me R1 or the 916 with a dry clutch :) ) it can be disconcerting. Use a good 10/40 full synth (Personal choice is Amsoil metric 10/40) as it meets and exceeds all standards required and holds its viscosity for a long time.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived