The MT-07 Forum

Pre-Ride rituals and check list

r1limited

Not sure about anyone else, as for me, I have habitual rituals / check list I do before I swing my leg over.  Pre ride I am pretty anal so I spend a lot of time making sure the bike is to spec, chain clean and running true on the sprocket, brakes, tire pressure, cable checks, torque specs etc.  Half the fun is in the garage working on the bikes IMO.  I treat my street bikes as if I am prepping for a race.  Safety begins with a well setup bike.  I am as anal in my mental state as well.  Never ride angry, never ride drunk or hungover (I dont drink) never ride under the influence of anything.  And just to state it here do not tell me you ride better after a joint, stats are against you and that is just one freaking stupid mentality.

Ride time, at each stop I check it all, chain, brakes, you typically know if your tire pressure is off in the feel, that is my experience. but street I run around 32 typically on the Q3, tracks dont count as that all varies anyway.  Hydration is a must always run with 64 ozs of mixed pure coconut water and water.  Always eat a good breakfast nothing heavy, mainly proteins.  During the ride plenty of stuff to use I stay away from sugar filled crap, honey mixed bars, I prefer caveman bars. 

I will from time to time spend a day in a clean clear parking lot practicing basics, emergency stops, figure 8s head position etc.  Anyway a good day is when it is over and the bike is parked back in the garage tucked in and you are smiling.

What say you

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Helmet on, gloves on, gloves off, strap helmet, gloves on.

Honestly though, I don't really have the patience to go through a massive checklist every single day. It's usually already dark outside by the time I wake up and leave for work, anyway. Don't have a garage or decent lighting to work in. Most days I'll just hop on and go after a quick check of the chain & lights. The rest waits until weekends or if something feels out of place after a ride.

vroomvroom

I check the turn signals, get a visual of tires and chain, and check the brake light for front and rear. It seems the rear brake switch can go out of adjustment from time to time on this bike.

I push the bike out of the shed, over a ledge. If it feels heavier than usual, I check the tyre pressure. Other than that, nothing. I rely in the sensations while riding; seat of the pants, signals coming through feet/hands/eyes/ears for the rest. Maintenance once a year, but I only tour and I do not ride in the rain unless unavoidable on multiple day rides.

EDIT: I lube the chain every 500 to 1000 miles and check the chain tension and oil level at the same time.

I usually just take a quick look at the tires & chain. Fire the bike up and slowly get it up to about 40 mph. During that time I'll ask myself if the bike feels right and do a few left & right leans, maybe tap the brakes, look down to see if any oil is coming out my filler cap and then I don't worry about anything else until I get a sign that something isn't right. I could be anal with the bike like how I am with my coffee making but that's where my anal ends. After coffee it's damned the torpedo's!  ;)  

Beemer

Urinate.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

I check tire pressure. But, admittedly I never take very long rides and if preparing to do so, I'd be more exacting in this regard.

I put in 1st gear , rock back and forth with clutch lever pulled in until clutch breaks loose then start engine. :-[

Full gear. Right arm first in jacket then left. Helmet on and done up. Right shoe followed by left. Right glove followed by left. Pants are usually already one so not really a ritual. Check engine temp, fuel and its go time. I usually check all the stuff on the bike at random times. I pretty much live in my garage ☺

Sat on the bike: CLUSH (Choke, Lights, Up Stand, Helmet - as appropriate)
Riding: ABCDI (Ahead, Behind, Check Direction Indicators)

Just do it! 

Is there a puddle under the bike? Do the tires appear to still be inflated? does the chain have any surface rust on it?

If the answer to any of the above is yes investigate. Otherwise gear up and ride.

I do check tires once a week. Wipe her down when needed. I do let her warm up to 150 or so before I take off.

And a quick prayer to arrive safe!

Archived