The MT-07 Forum

Crankcase Cover Bearing Removal

afatrat

I'm replacing the crankcase cover on the generator/starter side of the bike and am having a hell of a time trying to remove the starter damper bearing from the cover. I can't find any info in the shop manual I have on how to remove or install it but I'm guessing it's pressed into the cover itself. If so, I guess I'll have to get a new bearing but am just wondering if it's possible to remove it if I stand on my head and hold my mouth just right. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the cover is scrap warm it up and bang it inside face down on a lump of wood that will likely drop the
bearing out, there are pullers for this but not many have them you could also try using a rawlplug of some
kind to get a grip on it, when you get the new case warm it up being careful about how hot to get it so
as not to damage the finish then having had the bearing in the freezer over night the bearing will likely
just push in it will get a grip as it warms, trick is get it in as fast as you can.

Thanks for the suggestions ralph. I thought about heating it up but I don't have a torch so I'd have to use a heat gun or an oven but I think that's the way to go. I also thought about using a pilot bearing puller but the bearing is so small, I'm not sure it'll fit. Putting the new cover in the oven and the bearing in the freezer for installation is a good tip. Thanks again.

Use a new bearing. Bearings are damaged during removal.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• 2 weeks later...

When I changed my cover I just replaced the bearing. I couldn't get it out either. When putting the new bearing in. Heat the crankcase cover with a heat gun and use a socket around the same size as the bearing and lightly tap it in with some oil.

As a note. Make sure you clean everything where the gasket was all around the cover and put a new gasket in.

Did you get this done. I need to do the same and am looking for installation help. I have the cover but I am going to buy a new bearing.

Archived