The MT-07 Forum

In search of a Yamaha Diagnostic Tool

MetalsGeek

MetalsGeek

Hello all,  
I'm a newbie in love with my new 2017 FZ-07 ABS.  I've always done all my own maintenance and I'm in the process of tooling up for this bike.  The longest pole in my tent seems to be the Yamaha Diagnostic Tool (90890-03252).   I see some promising candidates on eBay for under $100, but have to wonder if anyone in this forum has walked this path before me and can offer any advice.  Can anyone guide me in my quest?

I already have a bluetooth OBD2 connector for the car, so a couple of days ago, I ordered this
OBD2 adapter

I plan to use it only to read/delete errors. I'll be able to give more info after I receive it and test it.

• Premium Member

Good luck getting a real Yamaha Code Scanner...last time I checked you had to be a dealership and cost was around $7k...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I already have a bluetooth OBD2 connector for the car, so a couple of days ago, I ordered this OBD2 adapter

I plan to use it only to read/delete errors. I'll be able to give more info after I receive it and test it.

Would love to hear your feedback on this once you have some time with it

I use an OBD2 adapter on my car and love it as a custom digital dash using Torque Pro. Does that adapter let you use the normal Android apps? If so, I'll order one immediately.

I use an OBD2 adapter on my car and love it as a custom digital dash using Torque Pro. Does that adapter let you use the normal Android apps? If so, I'll order one immediately.
I haven't received it yet. I ordered it a day before this post. I should receive it this week and test it in the coming weekend. However I'm pretty sure that the torque app (which I also use with the car) doesn't support bikes.
The guy selling the adaptor suggested OBD car doctor by PNN

Good luck getting a real Yamaha Code Scanner...last time I checked you had to be a dealership and cost was around $7k...
I hope people are reading this. ^ 

Beemer

I haven't received it yet. I ordered it a day before this post. I should receive it this week and test it in the coming weekend. However I'm pretty sure that the torque app (which I also use with the car) doesn't support bikes. The guy selling the adaptor suggested OBD car doctor by PNN

Looks good please keep us informed will be ordering one if it works.

Also, do people realize the bike itself will still show you diagnostic info straight on the dash? It's not as thorough and powerful as the dealer tool, but I'm betting it'll get you by in most cases.

Also, do people realize the bike itself will still show you diagnostic info straight on the dash? It's not as thorough and powerful as the dealer tool, but I'm betting it'll get you by in most cases.
The dash will give you a code and that is better than nothing a lot better but this will allow you to see the numbers and wile it's running live numbers so you have a much
better idea what is going on fix it and cancel the code, got to be worth what they are
asking if it saves you going to the dealer once it will have more than payed for itself.

I am trained in the Vulcan Mind Meld technique. I diagnose my bikes by placing my hands on the Gas Tank and Crank Case then hum the tune to Innagodavida backwards

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

" hum the tune to Innagudda davida backwards". Does that include the drum solo.
I just hummed it backwards. Pretty easy because it is so slow I guess.
I tend to use the guitar solo from Led Zepplin's "Communication Breakdown" as the sampling rate for engine diagnostics is a lot higher.
PS I also use it for my phone ringtone , which causes strange when it eminates from the pocket of a 64year old man.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

The dash will give you a code and that is better than nothing a lot better but this will allow you to see the numbers and wile it's running live numbers so you have a much
better idea what is going on fix it and cancel the code, got to be worth what they are
asking if it saves you going to the dealer once it will have more than payed for itself.
Eh, I've been working on cars/trucks/motorcycles for a long time and never once have a needed more then a general code to figure out the related failure.  The code lets you know the potential affected systems and then you start checking things/testing things/pulling things apart until you find the fault.  Lot of people rely too much on the computers to tell you everything - just use some investigation skills, they're worth the time to improve.  Also, what is going to pay for itself? Certainly not a yamaha diagnostic tool, unless you're charging everyone in town to use it : ] 
Also, if this made me come off as a crotchety anti-computer guy, it's quite the opposite - I'm a software engineer by day, and maybe that gives me an advantage when it comes to diagnostics?

First time it helps fix something without taking it into the shop it will have saved you more than
we are talking here but things like this are not infallible, they only know what a sensor is telling
them it cant tell a faulty temp sensor from say a overheating engine unless it's so far off the clock
that it is out of range, experience is priceless only doing by doing the job can you accumulate it,
Me I,ve been working on engines for over 50 years but for $15 or whatever it is in the US I will
swallow my pride and take any help it gives.

Archived