The MT-07 Forum

Balance or not?

hippiebikerchick

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Hubs was riding his 09 on a bad road in the Lost Coast and hit a huge pothole. The light was dappled so he didn't see it in time to swerve. The rim was damaged (see pic). He turned around and it was a good thing because the tire went flat that evening. He ordered a new rim, bearings and seals. They arrived today and he assembled it and took it to a shop for them to switch the tire over.

The shop didn't have a balancer and said it wasn't important to have it balanced. What do you think? Balance or not?

20170520_133440.jpg

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

Always balance get em balanced...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

What kind of proper bike shop doesn't have a balancer?
I'd be looking for a better shop.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Not sure I would refit a tyre that has had such a knock
but with balance it may be ok without a balancer only
way is to ride it gently see if there is any vibes,
but that tyre could have internal damage that you
cant see so would be tempted to get new fitted at
a proper place were they will balance it at the
same time.

The shop didn't have a balancer and said it wasn't important to have it balanced.  

Incredible if these guys are a shop that routinely does street bike tire changes. 
Ride a street bike with an out-of-balance wheel - it ain't fun.

I don't bother to balance. I change tires yearly and haven't had an issue since the eighty's. My new 2017 has no weights on it. I seldom exceed 85mph and haven't noticed any symptomsof a out of balance condition.

My god, at least check the balance but don't just say it doesn't need it. 100 tires could be put on and maybe be OK but the 101st tire could be wrong. They don't have to ride it, they should check, it's what they're paid to do, period!

I would report that big bad hole to the city and demand they pay for damages.

Beemer

I static balance my own tires and almost always need weight. Some need a lot.

I might ignore the rear, but not the front.

I'd suspect broken tire cords also. No rear rim bends?

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

I statically balance my tyres. You can hold the wheel with the wheel axle and spin it. If it spins freely, check if it stops randomly, or always want to sit at the same spot. If it has a favourite stop, the bottom most point is a heavy spot and the tyre should be balanced. If it stops randomly, you're good.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Thanks for all the replies. I think the shop he took it to mostly services quads and dirt bikes. Maybe they don't need balanced tires?

Anyway hubs held the axle and spun it and it did stop randomly. He took it for a ride paying attention to vibes or anything off and said it felt fine.

Now what creative thing can I do with the bent rim?..............

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hubs was riding his 09 on a bad road in the Lost Coast and hit a huge pothole. The light was dappled so he didn't see it in time to swerve. The rim was damaged (see pic). He turned around and it was a good thing because the tire went flat that evening. He ordered a new rim, bearings and seals. They arrived today and he assembled it and took it to a shop for them to switch the tire over. 
The shop didn't have a balancer and said it wasn't important to have it balanced. What do you think? Balance or not?

20170520_133440.jpg

YOu need to put super elastic bubble plastic in that gap then balance it is all good man. 
Seriously, The wheels on yamaha are very soft and tend to do this.  Thats a big impact, replace the rim, or find a rim repair outfit there are a few.  the tire side wall probably crumpled too, so that should be inspected.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I would report that big bad hole to the city and demand they pay for damages.

Alot of states will pay damages as long as the wheel and tire combo are factory not aftermarket but it can be a lengthy process and sometimes the claims are just plainly ignored. Collision insurance may cover it as well.

Archived