The MT-07 Forum

seat squeaking ... this cant be normal?

kev93

My new fz07 seat is squeaking like crazy! I tried protect all spray on the rubber mounts and that did nothing.  Makes the bike feel very cheap. Please any suggestions??

• Global Moderator

Is the seat installed correctly? There is a slot in the seat bottom plastic that a metal tab on the bar that covers the battery fits in to. If the seat is sitting on top of the tab that could be the problem.

• Premium Member

Take off the seat and investigate. Look for any sources of metal-to-metal rubbing (not just on the seat directly, but also surrounding pieces it contacts), a common source of what you seem to be describing--as I understand it. Next, use silicone lube, the gel not the spray, on any rubber contacts, reinstall, and check. This should do it... for now. Then, if it returns you can look and see what has changed from this inspection and consider what to do.

Alternatively, get a mechanic's stethoscope and touch the end to various parts as you have someone else press and/or sit on the seat and move around. This may get you close. All the best.

yamahazaki

You sure it isn't just the tank plastics making noise? Nothing you can do about that.

It is normal, as mentioned above my post.
I can't notice it while the bike is running, only while moving around in the seat while the engine is stopped.
Non-issue for me.

In the future you can tell prospective buyers it still squeaks, just like it did the day you bought it. ;)  (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Beemer

OK I'm intrigued! How does a plastic based, vinyl covered foam seat squeak?

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

I can only guess there's a mouse stuck under the seat pan? :D

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

glockpointer

It's where the seat bumpers touch the plastic bodywork. I put some red grease on the bumpers and it squeaked worse.

Is it squeaking or creaking? Mine creaks like an old house. But I think that's the plastics under the seat when I move around. I don't hear any squeaking. If it's squeaking, I agree with @dewman , check for mouse. lol  (rofl)

pineappleunderthesea

Well you could do what I once did when my car dashboard was creaking/squeaking due to plastic-on-plastic contact: take it apart and put felt pieces everywhere you can!

Is it a
Eee Errr, Eee Errr,Eee Errr,Eee Errr sound or a Err Eeee, Err Eeee, Err Eeee, Err Eeee, Err Eeee?

Then I dunnknow Oil your shorts :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I had this problem when I first got my bike. I had not installed the seat into the tab over the battery. Other than that there is still a little tank squeak but pretty sure that's normal.

Archived