The MT-07 Forum

New rider with eyes on an 07

chiburbia

Hey all! The names Alex, and I'm an upcoming rider here hoping to join the 07 family. I've been doing some shopping and I found a bike I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on, but I do have a couple simple concerns.

The bike in question is a clean '15 with a Yoshi and then some cosmetics, but what concerns me is the mileage. 18k on the odometer. From what I've seen that's a bit high for that year, but I'm lead to believe it was an actual commuter bike instead of a weekend cruiser. Is there anything I should be weary of or look for in a 2 year old 07 with 18k? I am a virgin to the bike world, besides some dirt bikes (yes, I know it's nothing similar), so I'm looking to the people who ride these bikes for some more accurate info. Thanks, and hopefully I'll be a real part of the group by the end of the season!

Edit: Also, besides sitting and doing a small parking lot cruise, I'm concerned about fitment, although it seemed comfortable for the time I was on it, I am 6'5" and I'm wondering how other tall riders find it for extended rides. Thanks!

Welcome @chiburbia ,

I bought mine in '16, it was a '15 still on the dealer floor with 0 miles. In about 14 months (2 of them garaged) I have put on about 19,500 miles. And it grows about 100 miles each day. I have had 2 spills with this bike, a lowside on the brake side about 30 mph; and a high side on the clutch side 40-45 mph. Bike held up fine, minor scratches and bent shifter and brake foot lever. On my 3rd set of tires, a bunch of oil changes and a chain replacement just cause it was probably about time.

Basically what I'm getting at is this bike is a tank, even with the crashes it just keeps chasing more miles. Engine is not only the best selling point of this bike it is also quite reliable. I'm expecting to easily get 100k on this bad girl and then some. That is with proper maintenance, be sure to ask for maintenance records- or if all done by previous owner hopefully you know this person, and if not go with your gut feeling. If you think/feel they're being shady or not telling the whole truth it could lead to trouble for you down the road.

At 18k there should have been an oil change. Spark plugs should have been swapped out twice already.  And either the chain has been replaced or should be soon. Otherwise just check out the regular things when buying a used bike. 

Good Luck!!

Welcome Alex!

18K miles on a '15 is a lot. If you are dead set on getting it, here's a data point for pricing. I got my '15 at 900 miles and my out-the-door price was $5,500 in Southern California. Hope that gives you a reference point and others could chime in on pricing.

As for the mileage, I'd ask for records of maintenance. And if the previous owner did it all by himself, you've got to be extra diligent in checking for mechanical issues especially since it was used as a commuter bike. At 18K miles, it should've already had a throttle body sync, valve clearances, fork seals, chain condition, spark plugs, and a few other major maintenances that I can't think of off the top of my head. Oh, and at 18K miles, it had to be dropped at least once so check for damage.

If this is going to be your first street bike, I sure hope you get a really good deal because, like any first bike, you're probably going to drop it as you learn street riding. It's not like a dirt bike where it can handle the abuse hahaha. Good luck!

You do you and I'll do me.

Here's another data point for you...i got a new 2016 fz07 out the door in Oregon form $6300.

The fz07 is my first bike too...technically my second bike if you count the R3 I had for two weeks. I'm really liking the fz07. In the last month I've put over 1000 miles on it.

[div]Even if it is a bit high it doesn't mean the bike has problems. Take the bike out for a fast run and see if it spits, sputters, wiggles, jiggles, anything odd. Put it to the test, get on the brakes hard, too. Make sure everything is working as it should be. If it's been taken care of it should be alright at 18k miles. Mine is a 15' with 18,345 and no troubles. I can pull a wheelie and pinch a loaf at the same time! ::) [/div]

Beemer

• Premium Member
[div]I can pull a wheelie and pinch a loaf at the same time! ::) [/div]

Uhhhh.... ??

• Premium Member
The bike in question is a clean '15 with a Yoshi and then some cosmetics, but what concerns me is the mileage. 18k on the odometer.

Question is what state and how much?

[div]I can pull a wheelie and pinch a loaf at the same time! ::) [/div]
Uhhhh.... ??
I figured since a lot of people use the term, "I sh*t my pants" and seems to be perfectly acceptable that saying "pinch a loaf" would've actually been less vulgar but .... here we are, two ships pissing in the night. errrr, passing. 

Beemer

• Premium Member
Uhhhh.... ??
I figured since a lot of people use the term, "I sh*t my pants" and seems to be perfectly acceptable that saying "pinch a loaf" would've actually been less vulgar but .... here we are, two ships pissing in the night. errrr, passing.

The only difference is that "pinching a loaf" sounds voluntary whereas it's possible to accidentally "sh*t your pants."  Whatever floats your boat, I guess. (rofl)

The only difference is that "pinching a loaf" sounds voluntary whereas it's possible to accidentally "sh*t your pants."  Whatever floats your boat, I guess. (rofl)
True that, it does sound more voluntary but because of, " Uhhhh.... ?? ", I was under the impression you were only grossed out by it. Sorry, too early for semantics. 

Beemer

cherrera0606

Although I did buy my FZ 07 with 0 miles, I can tel you the bike will not disappoint you. Perfect bike for a new rider looking for a solid bike with some torque thirst. I would be wary of being a bigger rider on the bike. Definitely give it a test ride first and make sure you are comfortable.

Archived