The MT-07 Forum

For those who want to stay naked

lonerider

I bought a naked bike. I don't see the point to put a windscreen on a naked bike. A small windscreen doesn't do much for protection of the rider. A touring screen then? Maybe it's effective. But the look makes the bike ugly. A semi-faired bike offers imo the best looks and offers good protection and doesn't alter the stability of the bike.

I purchased a touring screen for my KLR. What a waste of money. It offers a tiny bit more protection, a lot of noise and turbulences. Because we can't try a windscreen before buying, there's no way i'll buy a windscreen for a naked bike or a taller one for a faired or semi-faired bike. The FZ-07 offers clean air around me and no whistles like the CB500F. Riding all day on the 07 is not a problem for me. The need for a windscreen is'nt there.

Top case? Ho! that's a practical item. I have a Givi 36 liters. I used it for my previous V-Strom and KLR. On a dualsport or adventure bike, the top case makes a nice picture. But on a naked bike? It makes a good looking bike very ugly. For me, permanent rack for a top case is very out of place on a naked bike.

With the offering of great tailbags and saddlebags, my Givi top case will not meet my FZ-07. I truly understand why people add windscreen and top case on the 07. I really loved the idea of the Honda NT700 and V-Strom 650. If the taste for the long open roads was still there, i'd buy the V-Strom 650. Even if Yamaha unveils this fall a MT-07X or a new generation of TDM, i'll stay naked.

Because i don't do road trips anymore and i love the look; i bought a naked bike. And when i want to be naked, i don't wear anything.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Global Moderator

That's the point of a naked bike. It is like a blank canvas, People can do to it whatever they want and change the bike to their needs. I have to agree with you that the cardinal hat screen isn's pretty. The small screen is a nice fly catcher but I prefer the industrial look without.

You have a point Guru. With a naked, we can personnalize our bike to our liking. It offers more liberty i guess.

But a fairing (or a quarter fairing) is way better than any screen. And the look is better. Remeber the naked Kawa Z750? Some put windscreen on it. The semi faired Z750S was imo a better looking bike. I agree that its'cheaper to buy a naked bike and add a windscreen.

I'm just saying that i'm one of the buyers of a naked bike that is entirely satisfied with the caractérisitics of ... the naked bike. For me, it's not a base to get the desired bike. The FZ-07 is already it (for my needs ans taste for now, lol). I don't want more protection, more noise, more power. If i want to make a lot of modification on my bike. I get the perception that i didn't buy the right bike. ;-| Maybe that why i don't keep my bike a long time. :D

I'm hopefully not the only one that think that the 07 is a great bike as is. At the beginning, i didn't like the disomfort seat (stock seat). But, i'm used to ti now. I bought a Saddlemen gel pad for the seat that this summer that i used only a couple of time at the beginning of summer.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Premium Member

I like my yamaha side bags. They look good and add a lot of functionality without impacting performance. Maybe over 80 mph but I can't afford that kind of ticket.

Probably gonna add a small tank bag With a clear top for toll fare, my phone, wallet and robot cigarette.

Otherwise all I'm rocking is the yamaha fly screen which doesn't do much but does look good and make cleanup easier.

Got some compliments earlier at the Ducati/Aprilia shop while syncing the throttle bodies. Now those are some sick bikes but cost major loot.

Everything went braap.

I agree naked should be naked.

I did have to break down and get a tail bag to be more practical for my needs. I did get one that zips down to nothing when not in use.

Remeber the naked Kawa Z750? Some put windscreen on it. The semi faired Z750S was imo a better looking bike.  

It just happened that I owned a Z750S, but it was not for its beauty, which was just OK to me, but for its upright riding position, its fairing and most of all its grunt with 106hp / 57 ftlb. When passing a car, down shift 2 gears, and the rocket will take off with an amazing sound from the OEM exhaust. 
http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag272/arnau11/IMG_0620_edited-1_zpsc24b6a21.jpg

I never thought to argue with taste and colors. As we say, the beauty is on the inside. The same applies for cars and bikes. We are seating at the wheel more often than looking at it, it should be what you get out of it when driving it. Adding a large screen and saddle bags, is for some what they are looking for in that machine.

• Global Moderator

I used to have one too, called the ZR7 in Europe.

Totally naked btw. Didn't own it long, one day the love was gone. I was touring and I suddenly felt unsafe. Rode it home taking it easy and sold it the next day.

DSCF3191.JPG

The ZR7 was a great bike. Many owning this bike drove with us, the Z750S, Z750 and Z1000. They could keep up with us with no problem.
I didn't know you could have fall out of love from the great bike.

I haven't added anything extra to my FZ-07 as I like it that way.
Hell, I've removed things, instead (handlebar weights, front reflectors, passenger pegs and mounts).

If I need to carry things, I use my backpack.

• Premium Member
That's the point of a naked bike. It is like a blank canvas, People can do to it whatever they want and change the bike to their needs. I have to agree with you that the cardinal hat screen isn's pretty. The small screen is a nice fly catcher but I prefer the industrial look without.
I tend to agree with Guru on this one. 
That said the beauty in the FZ-07 is that the styling seems very versatile.  I think staying naked looks great, but I've also seen a few bikes done up in all out adventure style and for some reason it works...doesn't look out of place at all.  

Yamaha made a great bike that I think will have a big following for years to come.

:)

- Paulie

• Global Moderator

I too agree with Guru. I have only added the Yamaha front cowl, OES frame sliders and Vizi-tech brake light thingy, but I love seeing what others have decided to do to their bikes. It is great that no two FZ-07's have to be the same.

I need three things form a motorcycle.

1.Lightweight. I wanna be able to just throw that bike over in the corners. To me, lightweight is best.

2. Power. Gotta be able to lift the front tire when I want to. Power wheelies make daddy happy.

3.Reliability. Everyone i know that rides a Harley or BMW is always workin on them. Yamaha's are just flat out dependable.

Naked bikes rule.

• Premium Member

I don't see a problem riding naked (hehe). I was doing 90 on the highway yesterday, I was ducked down but it was a smooth ride, no wind resistance.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Archived