The MT-07 Forum

Electrical problems after first wash!

bullwhip66

Well guys, gave the FZ a bath yesterday and thought I was pretty careful about not spraying any electrical looking things. Well on my short ride this morning I noticed about halfway through that the turn signals were not blinking. Idk if it happened randomly halfway through or I just didn't notice the first few miles. Got home and pulled out the aftermarket Custom LED relay and sprayed it with compressed air. It helped a little, the signals are blinking like halfway and the indicator on the dash is flashing but not really blinking. Probably going to have to order a new relay online I would assume? I can't believe it broke with just the little bit of water? It's not like I was using a power washer directly at the electronics, it was a garden hose on low, and not directly at the wires.

Second issue, even though it's light out right now, my high beam doesn't seem to be working. The physicallly lower light in the headlight contraption is on, which I assume is the lower beam? Not the bulb, the bottom quadrilateral looking light shape is on. But the main bulb won't come on.

All of my fuses looked to be okay, and I don't even think the signal relay and headlights are on the same fuse but I could be wrong. I'm so surprised that these issues happen after a simple wash... I don't usually ride in rain but wow it'd suck if I was riding and this happened.

Any ideas? Could it really just be a coincidence or did I screw up my wash?

Okay, disregard the part about the headlight. I'm an idiot and didn't realize the bike needed to be fully started for the high beam to work. But the issue is still the same with the turn signal relay.

• Global Moderator

I have the Custom LED relay too and last time I washed it my signals started blinking very very fast. When I rode the next day it was fine. I might look for a better sealed electronic relay, but it is low on my priority list.

BTW, the small light in the bottom of the headlight housing is the aux light. The low and high beams are both in the main bulb.

Never, Ever, Never use water to was your bike
JMHO

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Washed mine loads of times and to be honest if it won't stand a good drenching it
would be about as much use as a chocolate tea pot in the UK, mines gone through rain
of biblical proportions for miles on end and not missed a beat.
Must be more to it than a bit of water.

So it's working fine now. Strangely enough it had to be the water. After spraying it with air and letting it sit in the sun for a few hours with the side of the tank and the seat off it works fine. Glad it works, still kinda PO'd it happened in the first place, I'll have to change something going forward. Maybe I'll add a better relay to my list if upgrades, or wrap it in plastic.

Thanks for the comment about the headlights. I learned something new :)

• Global Moderator

I have never had a problem with the relay in the rain, just one time after a wash. I may just epoxy the heck out of it and if I still have problems I will replace it.

• Premium Member

I've never hit it with any pressurized spray, not even a garden hose. Too many exposed leccie bits.

Sponge, bucket, hand.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

about as much use as a chocolate tea pot
too dang funny 

This went straight over my head until now  (rofl)

I'm of the belief that motorcycles are designed to see water from the front and from above, but you really have to be careful - even with the garden hose from the sides. I don't even like to get instruments wetter than necessary as I've seen too many clusters with condensation.

The stick coils on my Aprilia are clamped to the inside of the frame rails (2 on each side) More than one has been damaged from an innocent bath.

That aftermarket relay was probably now as well sealed as an OE variety. If there are seams - yeah, seal them up.

Archived