The MT-07 Forum

At a 4 way stop and forgot to downshift beforehand

mushymushroom

mushymushroom

So this just happened, I came to a four way stop and apparently it was my turn and I forgot I was still in 6th gear, but I saw it and tried to down shift as fast as I could and man was it not doing it.
It went to 5th then blank and as much as I push down on the pedal it wasn't going down anymore.  I tried to let it roll and then it drop to 4th and finally got it to 1st.  The panic set in though and I let off the clutch too fast and I did this weird chicken head being thrown back thing as it jerked hard forward into the middle of the road and stalled.  

I got it restarted and rode off as fast as I can, how embarrassing!  I got further down and started laughing at my stupidity.  I didn't know it wouldn't shift if I'm just stationary.

Who has had this experience before?

I think everyone has a story like this so dont feel too bad. If it happens again, the bike will take off in 3rd gear pretty easy if you're smooth with the clutch. I haven't tried it in 4th but i would be shocked if it couldn't so no stress about getting it to first next time ☺

• Premium Member

If you're stopped and it won't shift down, rock the bike a little forwards and backwards as you keep pushing the pedal down. Not that I've ever needed to. :D

Also, there was a review of a guy who got the bike moving from a stop in sixth gear.

I bet you are less likely to forget to downshift before the stop now.

I think everyone has a story like this so dont feel too bad. If it happens again, the bike will take off in 3rd gear pretty easy if you're smooth with the clutch. I haven't tried it in 4th but i would be shocked if it couldn't so no stress about getting it to first next time ☺
I for one have never done anything like that before, unles getting your pant leg stuck n the kick starter (In the days of Bell Bottoms) and rolling up to the stop light only to fnd your right leg wont ... CRASH As I look up and see the driver to my right snickering...

Ya never in my born days have I ever done anything stupid ;)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Been there, done that.  :P

Also remember the bike won't downshift multiple gears quickly because the transmission needs a little time to reset in between.

Illegitimi non carborundum

pineappleunderthesea

Yep, done that too. If I'm in too high a gear when stopped and it won't click back down, I gently let go the clutch while pressing my foot down on the gear pedal until it engages. Usually somewhere around half way to the clutch being fully let out.

ducttapewd40

I've had to do this a lot because I had a coworker that thought it was funny to shift my bike all the way up to 6th for me to find when I left at the end of the day.

If you're stopped and it won't shift down, rock the bike a little forwards and backwards as you keep pushing the pedal down. Not that I've ever needed to. :D 
Also, there was a review of a guy who got the bike moving from a stop in sixth gear.

I had to try starting from 6th for myself after reading this and it actually worked!!! What a machine ?

Compare that to a tuned RD350 L/C (TZ cylinders and carbs, 70+ hp) that could be held back by a single man. By that I mean it couldn't take off in first because power was so peaky. Even worse was when the same bloke prevented a tuned GT750 (100+ hp) from taking off from a standstill up a little slope. Was fun to watch, though :D

I built a 1972 R5 into a KZ killer. Completed it was a TR3, my debut of this bike at a Sears Point AFM race they put me into the GP class from the Cafe class, I guess the pipes, akronts, ceriani's, koni.s and stuff like that gave it away :)

Oh ya forgot to add this tidbit.  I had put the motor together at the shop I worked at in San Jose (Bob Chaves) I rode it home with a batterry strapped to it and a head light and tail light running.  SO I go blasting down Bird avenue wheely over Willow and sure enough a cop is right there at the light.  Ya eye contact so I pulled over.  Its a canine unit

So I prop the bike against a tree, he is looking it over and said and I quote "You do know how much the ticket will cost right, this bike is no way street legal"  He smiled and said I tell you what, you dont want a ticket right I said yes, he said walk over to that window and bark at my dog!!! I said what? he said ticket or bark, so I walk over to the car lean over and before I could get close that damn dog started barking its ass at me, he yelled something at the dog and it sat there and he laughed his ass off.

No ticket, on my way home to get the bike wrapped up for sears that weekend.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I built a 1972 R5 into a KZ killer. Completed it was a TR3, my debut of this bike at a Sears Point AFM race they put me into the GP class from the Cafe class, I guess the pipes, akronts, ceriani's, koni.s and stuff like that gave it away :) 
Oh ya forgot to add this tidbit.  I had put the motor together at the shop I worked at in San Jose (Bob Chaves) I rode it home with a batterry strapped to it and a head light and tail light running.  SO I go blasting down Bird avenue wheely over Willow and sure enough a cop is right there at the light.  Ya eye contact so I pulled over.  Its a canine unit

So I prop the bike against a tree, he is looking it over and said and I quote "You do know how much the ticket will cost right, this bike is no way street legal"  He smiled and said I tell you what, you dont want a ticket right I said yes, he said walk over to that window and bark at my dog!!! I said what? he said ticket or bark, so I walk over to the car lean over and before I could get close that damn dog started barking its ass at me, he yelled something at the dog and it sat there and he laughed his ass off.

Hey r1limited, you are originally from the EU or someplace, right?  Just wondering. 

Hey r1limited, you are originally from the EU or someplace, right?  Just wondering.
Nope, I am an American 100% I been to hell and back thugh ;) 

• Premium Member

I had "Always be ready in first gear at a stop!" drilled into my brain during the safety course so fortunately Ive avoided memorable moments like yours so far.  :D
I have had the all too common issue of losing gear or gearing becoming stuck somewhere in the 4th dimension at a stop though. A little roll about and gear flicking and clutch play bring it back online though.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
I had "Always be ready in first gear at a stop!" drilled into my brain during the safety course so fortunately Ive avoided memorable moments like yours so far.  :D I have had the all too common issue of losing gear or gearing becoming stuck somewhere in the 4th dimension at a stop though. A little roll about and gear flicking and clutch play bring it back online though.

Always so damn poetic. Hahaha

I can't seem to find it but there's a video on you tube of some guy going up a hill in 6th gear from a dead stop. Of course he had to slip the clutch and throttle it like a mad man but it just goes to show you don't have to be in 1st to get moving. 

Beemer

Yep, done that too. If I'm in too high a gear when stopped and it won't click back down, I gently let go the clutch while pressing my foot down on the gear pedal until it engages. Usually somewhere around half way to the clutch being fully let out.

Same as pineappleunderthesea. When forgetting to downshit at a stop, the gear indicator goes blank and can't downshift a gear unless I let out the throttle halfway.

hahaha I always remember to downshift when coming to a stop but I've killed it a couple times just being zoned out because of the heat and panic to go when I realize the light is green lol. embarrassing moments happen to all of us, you're not alone lol.

This is even more fun on a bike that has to be in neutral to start. In the middle of an intersection, trying to find neutral while also trying to look cool. The stupid little green light will not come on! A bike with no gear indicator adds to the fun, you have no idea what gear you're in so you're just stomping on the shift lever. Everybody's watching...
After finally getting it started, you ride away fiddling with things under your tank and looking over your bike to make it look like something was wrong with the bike because this couldn't have been your fault, right? I heard this had happened to a friend of a friend.

• Premium Member

I had a few embarrassing stalls , but for some reason after I upgraded to shorty levers it has been over a year and I have not stalled the bike even once. 

• 3 months later...

Been there.  I've had it neutral and not able to get 1st.  If you let off the clutch really gently until you hear it click, then you should be good to downshift again.

Archived