The MT-07 Forum

Noobie question on Oil

SlowGroove

Hi all,

Complete noob here, and recently bought a used FZ07.  Since it was new to me, I decided to do an oil change after I’d spent several days riding it, even though it’s not really due for a couple thousand more miles. Anyway - after changing oil and filter, and running the engine a few minutes and then letting it drain down to the oil pan - it appears now to have a bit too much oil in it. The level is a bit above the max level for the viewing window, but not sure if I should be overly concerned or not. Out of three quarts of oil, I have exactly 1/4 qt left - which is what the manual says it should take. What are your thoughts?  Should I work to get some out down to the max fill line, or is it ok?

If you start the bike up let it run a few minutes 3 - 5 and then shut it off, let rest 2 min where is the oil level at?

If it is over filled you will know.  You can buy a large siphone type syringe at a food place grocery store.  Get some clear tubing and cut enough to all you to reach down in and pul back on the syringe to draw out excess.  If you draw to much you can always add a little back...

A little over is not going to harm the bike.  I never go by the quarts used, I use a ratio right and just add a bit less oil than the manual states.  I then add what I need after the first warm up

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Make sure you'e checking the oil with the bike level - standing straight up, not leaning on the sidestand.  If it's on the sidestand, it will appear to be too full.  A bit hard to do, but you can lean it against a wall, have someone help hold it (best way),  or put a block under the sidestand while you get down and check it.  Be sure you leave the sidestand down and hold onto the bike in case it tries to lean away from you and fall.

If you'e already doing this, then r1limited 's got a good answer.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I did check the oil while holding the bike upright, and it does show above the max line - though not fully filling the glass window.  At any rate it's a little too high for my comfort level.  I had seen a tip on another site of using an empty spray bottle's head and stem, and pumping the oil out that way - so I'll give that a try before searching for the syringe and tube method. 

This bike is such a blast to ride - I just want to make sure it stays in good shape for a good long time!

• Global Moderator

You are close enough on the oil level.  As long as it is not very overfilled it will be fine.  I usually seem to fill mine to just above the top of the stight glass and have not had any problems.  

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, SlowGroove said:

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I did check the oil while holding the bike upright, and it does show above the max line - though not fully filling the glass window.  At any rate it's a little too high for my comfort level.  I had seen a tip on another site of using an empty spray bottle's head and stem, and pumping the oil out that way - so I'll give that a try before searching for the syringe and tube method. 

This bike is such a blast to ride - I just want to make sure it stays in good shape for a good long time!

Perhaps a turkey baster with a short section of hose on it to siphon some oil? It'd probably be less messy than cracking the drain plug or filter.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

7 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Perhaps a turkey baster with a short section of hose on it to siphon some oil? It'd probably be less messy than cracking the drain plug or filter.

Thats what I said a meat infuser syringe I have a Motion Pro Fork OIl Gauge

You can buy a large siphone type syringe at a food place grocery store.  Get some clear tubing and cut enough to all you to reach down in and pul back on the syringe to draw out excess.  If you draw to much you can always add a little back...

MotionPro.png

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Thought we'd covered this before but that's how it is with the oil. My bike came from the dealership that way and it ran fine and never hurt a thing. The window just isn't accurate is all. I put exactly 2.75 quarts in mine every time, bike completely vertical and it's the same with the window every time, looks over filled but it's not so don't sweat it. Carry on.

Beemer

So long as there is enough good quality oil and the cranks aren"t hitting the oil surface all will be well. Modern synths stick to the metal for longer anyway, so underfilling isn't the sin it one was, unless you leave your change intervals too long or overheat your oil (again not easy to do with synths). Get it near and don't sweat it.

I used to run slightly less than recommended in my race bikes , for a number of reasons, and never a problem. It did get changed much more often than a road bike will, but it also got thtrashed much more.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived