The MT-07 Forum

Quality back protector for your jacket- Inexpensive, but not cheap

shinyribs

We all know jackets typically come with a junky piece of foam in the back. Legit back protectors are pricey. I was at a BMW dealership today checking out their heated gloves and the lady there asked me if I had a good back protector in my jacket. Of course, I said no, but I needed one. She said they sold very nice back pads for cheap, which I didn't believe ( the cheap part, at least). She got one out of the back room and it fit my jacket like it belonged (Dainese Stripes). No rigid plastic, but a very solid feeling piece. $35.43 after tax. The one I got is part# 76418546891

Go to your local BMW joint and check it out. They are CE rated and BMW branded. 

11" x 18" x 1/2" thick for this size (group2). There are two other smaller sizes available for the same price. 

Uud8tphr.jpg

MOIIZ2o.jpg

Squeezing about as hard as I can. You can't poke your fingers through this thing. 

MjyYdQv.jpg

Would make a great base layer foam for a custom seat, too.

I have never really gave creedence to these.  But always say the more you feel protected the least you worry.  Personally I just do not see the saftey value other than an extra pad for bouncing.  Just me, but good fine

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 2 weeks later...

Do you not like back protectors in general, or is there an issue with these pads in particular? 

I doubt the pad will do much to absorb direct landings, but it will definitely spread the impact over a larger area. 

Also, not as important/ frequently needed on the street,but the puncture resistant properties of a back pas is very nice IMO. I saw a riding buddy go down in the woods one day. A very slow, simple off. The kind you see and just wait for him to get backup. But this time he punctured a lung by landing on a branch just right. 

All the gear FTW IMO. I plan to ride until I'm an old bastard 😂 

Archived