The MT-07 Forum

Had an emergency braking incident, didn't pull in the clutch soon in enough in 4th gear, did I damage my transmission?

Superchibisan

Superchibisan

The engine lugged a bit and that triggered me to pull the clutch in, but I honestly was too distracted with not hitting the car in front of me that I forgot to pull it in immediately.

Now it feels a bit grindy in low rpms in 4th gear... nothing like the other gears. Is this going to get worse? 

Did I cause some serious damage to my transmission?

Is it possible to just replace 4th gear and put the tranny back in to the bike?

• Global Moderator

I cannot imagine that would do any damage to your transmission.  I suspect you are just being super sensitive and noticing something that was always there.  Keep riding and chalk it up to a learning experience, we all have them 😊.

Superchibisan

It seems like it doesn't pull at hard as it did in 4th as it used to... I honestly haven't ridden it in 4th a lot since the incident, but i'll check it out more when I have time.

33 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I cannot imagine that would do any damage to your transmission.  I suspect you are just being super sensitive and noticing something that was always there.  Keep riding and chalk it up to a learning experience, we all have them 😊.

I'd agree with this.  Lugging would probably damage your engine (rods, bearings, journals on the bottom end usually) and not the transmission, but damage that I've seen from lugging comes from repeated, habitual lugging over a period of time, not just once, but anything is possible.

You could take an oil sample and have it tested to see if there's any abnormal wear going on.  Search the internet for something like "motorcycle engine oil testing or analysis" to see who's out there that does this.  Usually they can tell you where the metal or other contaminants they find came from and if the amount is unusual.

Sounds like since you feel you should've pulled the clutch in sooner at the time of the incident you have become hyper sensitive and over reaching. I can't count how many times I have killed a dirt bike's engine while trying to go up a steep hill and not one bike's engine nor transmission have ever become damaged over it, not even slightly. I recommend to stop listening to it so hard and just get back to your normal frame of mind. If it truly is screwed up you wouldn't be asking about it, you would know for sure so put that smile back on and ride! 

Beemer

Anything is possible, A damaged gear box? hard to say as with all your probably maybe feeling something that was already there, with your now heightened sense of survival you maybe just a tad over reactive, that is a good thing.  YOu came back to reality with regards to scanning, you survived to ride another day, your thinking again while riding.  Certainly glad to hear you are ok and unscathed as with the bike.  Back to the gear box, if it is a problem it would manifest itself in a few ways, hard shift, grinding when going in to 4, jumping out of gear.  Since this is not reported forks shift forks are in good shape.  Just keep a feel on it. 

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived