The MT-07 Forum

Norton 650 Twin coming soon

r1limited

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/norton-650-cc-twin-engine-motorcycle-in-the-works-1775912

Norton 650 cc Twin Engine Motorcycle In The Works

Norton Motorcycles has just announced a joint venture with Kinetic MotoRoyale to assemble and sell two motorcycles in India and the ASEAN region. The two models are the Norton Dominator and Norton Commando. However, Norton is also developing a 650 cc engine which will make 100 bhp. 😨 HORY SHET MANG

Norton Motorcycles is working on a 650 cc motorcycle model which will be especially targeted at the high volumes market, especially in the Asian region, including India. Speaking to Carandbike on the sidelines of the joint venture announcement with Kinetic MotoRoyale, Norton Motorcycles CEO Stuart Garner said that the 650 cc motorcycle will be more powerful than the current Norton Dominator and Norton Commando, which are both powered by a 961 cc parallel-twin engine. The 650 cc parallel-twin engine, which is being developed in-house, will make around 100 bhp, Garner told Carandbike.

norton-650-cc-engine_827x510_71501489228.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

5 minutes ago, faffi said:

That's a lot of ponies from a small twin 🏍️

If that is actually achieved stock, wonder what torque values, a 650 with 100 hp would be one hella race bike on dirt ovals

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

Hmmm... we know the stock airbox is limiting the FZ-07 engine performance due to various regulations it was designed to meet...

I'm curious about what type of airbox they used to achieve them engine HP/TQ numbers...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Interesting, it would appear this engine has a more down draught inlet to facilitate the higher rpm probably required to make 100 hp with this displacement which may indicate a less torquey all around power band such as our FZ's have but that's just speculation. I wish they would just start out closer to 750cc but then they probably aren't considering the AFT racing class limits when designing their products, maybe it's got something to do with their projected customers displacement regulations, fees or whatever. It looks like form follows function too, again another wet sump engine with low sump hanging down there tempting fate, cheaper and less complex design I'm sure but I don't have to like it.  Maybe Norton will step up and make us a small adventure bike with light wt. and decent power before Yamaha...Hmmmm! Interesting times for sure.

Hey, that's the FZ-07 engine! ha!

I keep seeing that word, "will". I must say I will believe it when someone actually wills it onto a real dyno. That moment will arrive and we will see the results. I wonder how many FZ-07 ridiers we will lose to it??? No matter, the plank will be/is here. 😉

Beemer

Not gonna say Im giving up the FZ for this Norton but I better get a second job because I may NEED to buy it.

1 hour ago, rhoderunner said:

Not gonna say Im giving up the FZ for this Norton but I better get a second job because I may NEED to buy it.

I wqs super pumped on the New Norton when they first got announced.  The bike looked so good, then I sat on one.  The most uncomfortable motorcycle I have ever sat on.  Just felt wrong all wrong, although I like the concept, its a drawing and will change.  BUt the market for the bike is not Euro or America as noted in the article/

Meanwhile, pictures of a purported Norton 650 cc Scrambler have already emerged on the Internet, and this could well be one of the new models powered by the 650 cc engine. Garner said that the motorcycles with the 650 cc engine will be the volumes earners for Norton Motorcycles in the Asian region, so we can certainly expect these bikes to be eventually assembled under the new Kinetic MotoRoyale - Norton joint venture. As things stand today, the joint venture will be assembling and marketing Norton bikes in India and the rest of Asia, and Norton has a lot of expectations from this joint venture.

Archived