The MT-07 Forum

Likely missed oil change

rweakley

So this isn't really a problem, more of a question.  When I bought the bike, just past 9k miles I asked the previous owner if it had its oil changed at 9 and he told me, "yes."  The oil was pretty black, but it was about 500 past the 9,000 mark so I figured that it just changed color quick.  I decided to change it at around 10.5 and after riding it for around 1,000 miles, the oil is still a nice golden color, so I'm pretty sure I was lied to.

So my question: assuming I keep a good maintenance schedule, do you think I will encounter any problems, assuming this was a one time thing?  I'm hoping he just lied about that oil change and actually did them at the specified intervals prior.

Also forgot to mention that some oils turn black rapidly, others stay clear for a long time. I've been told that it is good for oils to turn black because that means their detergents work. I know Pennzoil motorcycle oils used to turn black quickly, like within 100 miles. A cheap motorcycle oil I used stayed clean for a fairly long period. With the Pennzoil, gear changes were silent and the clutch even released with a cold engine, and there were hardly any leaks from the old engine. With the cheap oil, gear changes made more noise and the clutch would stick when cold, making first gear engagement after start-up a notchy affair. In addition, the bike would mark its spot wherever it was parked. 

What I cannot say anything about is how well these oils protected against wear, but I bring this up because it could be that the PO changed the oil prematurely at 8k and that everything is OK despite the colour you found.

I would not worry. As good as oil is today, even "bargain rack, dollar store oil", you will be ok. In the early 1990's I had a 1986 Honda VFR 700 that I rode the he!! out of. I had it for 3 years or so and changed the oil once. My college age brain was less interested in maintenance and oil life and more interested in the fairer sex. Any how, even in those old and dark days that bike ran like a champ. Who knows what kind of oil was in it and how many miles I put on it. With the high quality of oil today you will be fine.

Ride more. Worry less.

Depending on the oil filter oil can go black quickly as @faffi said.  I have seen oil com oit of motors as thick as greese (Wel lnot really) but close, even seen it come out brown (water) just keep a good filter (OEM at minumal) and change the oil per the manual you will be OK.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Many years ago, a German rode his K100 400,000 km, or about 255,000 miles. At that point, the final drive gave in, but the engine was fine. He sold it to someone who fixed the final drive and continued riding it without doing anything to the engine.

He serviced the engine twice and replaced the oil and filter when it occurred to him. He once had the oil light coming on after 15,000 miles, added a quart and rode another 10k miles before changing the oil and filter. 

As RSTX said, no need to worry.

1 hour ago, faffi said:

no need to worry.

There is a lot to worry about like WHAT IF

1. A flock of seaguls pooped all over your visor
  2. Clowns attack you on a street corner waiting for the light to turn
  3. Suddenly everyone arounds you vanish
  4. Danicka Patrick leaves NASCAR
  5. You suddenly remember *Damn 30 years ago I did not use that condem*
  6. You push the fart and it becomes shart and there is no gas station around for like 100 miles

Ya there is a lot to worry about

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator
33 minutes ago, r1limited said:

There is a lot to worry about like WHAT IF

1. A flock of seaguls pooped all over your visor
  2. Clowns attack you on a street corner waiting for the light to turn
  3. Suddenly everyone arounds you vanish
  4. Danicka Patrick leaves NASCAR
  5. You suddenly remember *Damn 30 years ago I did not use that condem*
  6. You push the fart and it becomes shart and there is no gas station around for like 100 miles

Ya there is a lot to worry about

1. seagulls suck... but are tassty... fire randomly into the air at the birds and cook over an open fire

2. take the aforementioned firearm and unload at least 3 full mags into said clowns... should be enough of a deterrent to get away

3. Everyone around you vanishing would make for a wonderful ride... no idiots on the road.

4.  Danika leaving is a good thing... no more clickbait adverts from go-daddy

5.  after 30 years you expect to remember that?

6. this is the only one that is a true worry.... 

OP as long as you've changed it you're good... peace of mind is the greatest maintenance. 
well... that and someone that actually knows what their doing...

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator
6 hours ago, rweakley said:

You guys are awesome...thanks for the peace of mind!

Np dude... but i disagree... we arent awesome... just a bunch of leather junkies with adrenaline highs

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Like oithers have siad, it's fine but for extra peace of mind in the future I suggest you switch to synthetic oil if you haven't already. I did just so I wouldn't have to change my oil every 3k miles. No problems.

Beemer

Just read MOTORRAD's hard ridden 50.000 km / 31.000 mile report on the KTM1290 SuperDuke. During that time, it got 4 oil changes; 1000km/600 mi, 15000km/9k mi, 30kkm/18kmi and 45kkm/28kmi. The internals looked mostly like new. And this is from a magazine renowned to kill off "indestructible" bikes from yesteryear in half that distance. Or less. Bikes like BMW Rs, Honda CBs, Kawasaki KZs, Suzuki GSs and Yamaha XJs.

1 hour ago, digitalsteve said:

@Beemer - is synthetic really worth the changeover? (note - I'm at work so I can't watch the video).

It depends on a fe wthings, I will answer this, YES

If you change your oil every 800 miles use DINO oil, if you want to get a few thousand between use Synth.  This is the great argument of our time, not the fact son ding il dong has nukes, or some goat raping punks in pajama's want to kill everyone, or antifa wanker dip wads all live at home with mommy and daddy, no the real problme is what oil is best and any person with a IQ the size of a single digit shoe will say AMSOIL 10-40 Metric

On 11/27/2017 at 10:05 PM, digitalsteve said:

@Beemer - is synthetic really worth the changeover? (note - I'm at work so I can't watch the video).

Sorry, I just woke up a short time ago to answer back but I take it you've been able to watch it away from work by now. IMO, is it really worth the change over? No, it isn't. What I did was give what's equal to a placebo to give comfort, that's all. I have seen tests that proved to me synthetic is a better oil but I can't convince anyone of it because as they say, talk is cheap. You would have to watch the same video's as I and think/perceive things the same way I do. This is why people find it hard to agree on anything. This is also why I simply throw up a video as my proof to drive home my point but to also avoid confrontation. Hopefully the video does the talking and convincing for me.

Beemer

Archived