The MT-07 Forum

Taking off the chain?

maz20

The FZ-07 service manual suggests it is possible to "take off" the entire chain, and shows a little procedure how to do it. But has anyone done it so far? Is it actually possible? (No chain breaker tools lol)

• Premium Member

Most OEM chains do NOT have a removable master link.

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I know about that, I'm just referring to the service manual's suggested procedure involving pushing the rear axle forward and sliding out one of the swingarm links. Odd procedure : ) but has anyone done it? No breaking the chain!

Edited by maz20

Yes, I've done it.

I actually go further than just remove only what's needed to remove the drive chain because I remove my chain when the swingarm and shock and shock linkage come out during winter down time maintenance.

I basically remove the rear wheel and the whole rear suspension.

If you have the tools and the Service Manual, go for it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ahh i see, I was wondering if there was anything "extra" that actually needs to be done (e.g., like some extra part taken out) for that procedure but is "hidden" or not mentioned in the service manual. Haven't taken my bike apart anywhere that far yet, compared that winterization! : )

Do yourself a favor, buy yourself a chain breaker from Motion Pro, buy a half dozen master links to keep, and buy a couple of clip master links for your duffel bag or tool pouch.

Far easier then removing half that crap

• Like 2

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Dare we ask why you want to remove the chain?

W/o breaking down the chain with a good tool like that Motion Pro r1 mentioned ( and I'm not gonna recommend reusing a chain that's had a link pressed out - unless it's an emergency) and then swaging a new master link back in, I'm thinking the swing arm has to be pulled - not all that hard, but certainly not trivial. Lots of stuff needs to get out of the way.

Been using MATCHED clipped masterlinks put in properly in chains for decades. NOTE: "matched". Chains , even from the same manufacturers, come in varied widths.

I have never had one fail.

On my racing bikes it is one of the first things to do so you can get them on and off easily to change ratios.

The load on the masterlink is the same as it is on an ordinary link , THROUGH the plate. The clip carries no load. In fact, where you can get a thicker plated master link it is stronger . It is also the only link in the cahin you can clean and lube properly.

Even on mountain bikes where the chain actually has quite a bit of bend sideways I do the same ( shimano chains come with push pins that I never use).

• Like 3

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

In my tool pouch I have a small breaker and spare links (Clip Type) a just in case.  I do not race either bike, so I opt for the rivet.  All of my race bikes like @gregjetsays are clipped, I never spun a chain because of a master link they always snapped at the rivet links ***KNOCK ON WOOD***

• Like 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

R1, pretty much my experience as well. Though nowdays I tend to swap out my road and track bike chains before they get stuffed.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 11/25/2017 at 5:15 PM, r1limited said:

Do yourself a favor, buy yourself a chain breaker from Motion Pro, buy a half dozen master links to keep, and buy a couple of clip master links for your duffel bag or tool pouch.

Far easier then removing half that crap

+1 for what r1limited said..... Been there, done that- best choice I ever made.

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2017 at 11:14 AM, rick said:

Dare we ask why you want to remove the chain?

W/o breaking down the chain with a good tool like that Motion Pro r1 mentioned ( and I'm not gonna recommend reusing a chain that's had a link pressed out - unless it's an emergency) and then swaging a new master link back in, I'm thinking the swing arm has to be pulled - not all that hard, but certainly not trivial. Lots of stuff needs to get out of the way.

Mostly just in case I botch the operation of putting on the new chain, or it turns out I need more than the stock number of 108 links on the new/un-stretched chain to fit my custom 15/45 gearing setup (had this setup for a while now). I'm only about 3-4 bars from minimum wheelbase even with my current chain anyway (~19k miles original chain)

Chains don't stretch, they wear out. New chains should stay stable for a long time. The 525 DID chain on my Aprilia Futura (100+ lbs heavier and and 40% more HP) didn't need its 1st adjustment until nearly 10k miles. 

That Motion Pro Jumbo chain tool is worth every penny if yer gonna do your own chains. 

If you can't spend big money on a Motion Po branded tool, I can highly recommend this exact tool. It's currently $39.99, but Cyclegear almost always runs them on sale right before Christmas for about $25-30. 

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/stockton-chain-breaker-and-rivet-tool-kit

I bought this tool several years ago and took it to a buddy's motorcycle shop to compare it to his Motion Pro tool. All the parts interchanged. His MP breaker had bent a few pins, so he bought one of these for replacement parts after we inspected it, rather than paying MP $$$ for replacement parts. I can't make any claims that they come from the same manufacturer, or that the metallurgy is the same between the two, but it's been a great tool. I have removed and replaced at least 20 drive chains with mine with no issues or signs of giving up any time soon. It may explode tomorrow. It comes with pins and guides to accommodate cam chains, too, which has also worked flawlessly for me. 

The key to keeping any chain breaker tool healthy is to grind the riveted heads off th chain link before pressing with the tool. 

I also agree that clip-on master links do not give problems. I cannot understand why some people call them weak, and those same people cannot explain why they think that. The only time I don't use a clip-on link is on dirt bikes/dual sports that have offroad-style chain guides. They have a tendency to get chewed up in that situation. I see no problem running a clip-on master link on a FZ 07. $0.02

XR4 link.jpg

Edited by shinyribs

I agree with what @r1limited & @shinyribs said about clip masterlinks.  I've used them on dirt bikes and dual sports so I can take them off and soak them.  They go through so much more water and mud and sand than a road bike.  Never had one fail and I magine the stress on an off-road trail is lots more than on the road.

I have the same chain breaker as shinyribs also (or its cousin from another corner of the same factory in China), and it's been great.

"The only time I don't use a clip-on link is on dirt bikes/dual sports that have offroad-style chain guides"

VERY VERY good point shineyribs. I flagellate myself for neglecting to mention this exception and beg forgiveness.

PS It looks like you have the same bikelift as me...

5 hours ago, gregjet said:

I flagellate myself for neglecting to mention this exception and beg forgiveness.

I'm assuming this was in jest ;D At least I hope!

That's a HF lift in that photo. I've nabbed two of those over the years of CL. $150 each. Some of the best money I ever spent.

Video available on request... ( OK maybe not)

The problem with the high lifts is that they works so well you tend to leave them there. My GS500 project has sat up on it for the last 18months. My poor 07 languishes unattended in the big shed...

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

I recently bought a used 2017 FZ-07. It was in serious need of a new chain and sprockets and my preference was to replace them with OEM parts, including a new endless chain. Like maz20, the original poster, I read the section in the service manual about how to remove and/or install an endless chain without taking off the swingarm. I liked the idea of not having to break or rivet a chain but was skeptical this "trick" was doable. But it turns out it is definitely possible, as evidenced by the fact I just did it.

My skill level as a grease monkey is somewhere between beginner and intermediate, yet I had no problem executing the procedure. The only caveat to other newbies is you have to have some way to elevate the back of the motorcycle. Since the FZ-07 doesn't have spool bosses I bought the Gilles chain adjusters with built-in spools so I could use the rear stand I already owned. You obviously need a few tools. And it's essential to know the proper torque settings so having a copy of the factory service manual is a huge help too. You can buy one online from Yamaha for only $7.50 @ https://yamaha.manuals.cc/2017/07/yamaha-fz07-mt07-2016-2017-workshop.html. Well worth the investment!

Anyhow, to swap chains, you simply remove a few parts, loosen the swingarm pivot shaft nut (which is on the right side of the bike) and push the pivot shaft inward so it protrudes from the left side of the bike. This allows you to open up a gap between the left foot peg bracket and frame that's wide enough for the chain to slip through. Super easy!

Here are some photos of the process if anyone is interested:

01 IMG_1173 copy.jpg

02 IMG_1227 copy.jpg

03 IMG_1241 copy.jpg

04 IMG_1250 copy.jpg

05 IMG_1251 copy.jpg

06 IMG_1269 copy.jpg

07 IMG_1262 copy.jpg

08 IMG_1265 copy.jpg

09 IMG_1267 copy.jpg

10 IMG_1276 copy.jpg

11 IMG_1275 copy.jpg

12 IMG_1406 copy.JPG

13 IMG_1415 copy.jpg

14 IMG_1432 copy.jpg

15 IMG_1435 copy.jpg

16 IMG_1440 copy.jpg

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Nice write up.  👍

The only comment I have is that if you're comfortable enough in your mechanical skills to do all of that you'd have no issue using a chain tool to install a master link. ✌️

• Like 3

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.