The MT-07 Forum

Vote for your motorcycle hero

r1limited

This is pretty cool, I mean some top guns here, follow the link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/vote-favourite-motorcycle-racing-hero/

The 2018 motorcycling nominees are:

Mike Hailwood MBE: With 14 Isle of Man TT wins and nine Grand Prix world championships to his name, Mike ‘The Bike’ Hailwood ruled the tracks throughout the 60s and 70s.

Geoff Duke OBE: Duke won three world titles with Norton, before moving to Gilera and repeating that success in the 50s. He also won six TT races, and cemented his name as a TT hero.

Soichiro Honda: Without him, Honda would not exist. As founder and President, he had a huge impact on Hondas success in motorsport.

Casey Stoner: The Australian motorcycle racer could handle the Ducati better than anyone. In 2007 he took his first world title with the Italian manufacturer, and followed that up in 2011 with Honda.

Wayne Rainey: He took a hat trick of championships; 1990, ‘91 and ‘92, and his fierce rivalry with Kevin Schwantz lit up the racing scene.

Kevin Schwantz: Schwantz won 25 Grand Prix races and became the 500cc world champion in 1993 on the Lucky Strike Suzuki.

Freddie Spencer: ‘Fast Freddie’ made motorcycling history when he took both the 250cc and 500cc titles in 1985 and was named as a ‘Grand Prix Legend’ by the FIM in 2001, as well as being inducted into three American-based halls of fame.

Kenny Roberts: Roberts became America’s first world champion in 1978 and won a further two titles, with his final being in 1983 before retiring two years later.

Joey Dunlop OBE: Possibly one of the most recognisable names in motorsport history, ‘Yer Maun’ still holds the record of most TT victories, taking 26 wins over 23 years.

Eddie Lawson: Lawson won four 500cc world championships, three with the Marlboro Agostini Yamaha team and one with the Rothmans Kanemoto Honda team.

Mick Doohan: From 1994, Doohan secured five consecutive 500cc titles, staying loyal to Honda from the start to the end of his GP career in 1999.

Jim Redman MBE: The six-time world champion achieved a hat trick of double wins in 1963, ‘64 and ‘65 in the Isle of Man TT Lightweight and Junior races.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Kenny Roberts - No contest for road race!

For all-around, they don't call Roger DeCoster "The Man" for no reason.

.... and regarding Roberts, here he is taking some laps on a Yamaha TZ750 at nearly 60 years old. For you youngsters, the TZ750 is a 4 cylinder two-stroke motor that is scary fast!

Both of my motorcycle main heros are not riders.

Phillip Irving . One of the most innovative motorcycle engineers ever.

John Britten: As above.

Schnerle and Kaaden for turning the two stroke from a lawn mower and outboard motor into a real powerhouse.

Casey Stoner because he rode an unrideable motorcycle ( the bloody Ducati) and won one it...

Rossi because he keeps riding at the top level ( with excursions into the unseccussful) . In all that time he only did one unforgivable nasty piece of riding. Everyone is entitled to on piece of mistake of judgement.

The man who invented USD forks ( no idea who).

De Carbon for inventing the pressureized floating piston shockie.

A few more...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

26 minutes ago, gregjet said:

The man who invented USD forks ( no idea who).

Nielsen and Fisker, who developed the Nimbus, had oil damped USD forks in 1934, but I doubt it was the earliest version seen.

As an American kid who was learning to ride in the late 70's early 80's, King Kenny is my choice. 

When he first got to Europe, they were such stuck up asshats that the others wouldn't give him the time of day. Wouldnt loan him a wrench or a spare tire. 

And he kicked the living shet out of all of them, with half the resources. 

14 hours ago, Cruizin said:

As an American kid who was learning to ride in the late 70's early 80's, King Kenny is my choice. 

When he first got to Europe, they were such stuck up asshats that the others wouldn't give him the time of day. Wouldnt loan him a wrench or a spare tire. 

I have so many growing up, mine was National #24 Jim Rice.  I grew up in District 36 where Roberts, Rice, Castro, Lawell, Bugsy "Dick Man", Brelsford brothers, and so many more, but Rice for some reason maybe beacuse of BSA or he had a hot girlfriend I dunno.  I finally got to meet Jim and become freinds years later. Donnie Castro #11 owns Racers Edge in tre Pinos (Hollister) a favorite stop for all riders heading down the Airline Loop, loved sittin in and listeing to his racing stories,  Offered Donnie my R1 for a ride he smiled and Said no but took a pack of pics.  But man growing up in that time the golden era of Flat Track as they call it was pretty damn cool.  Raced Roberts modesto track a few times was not surprised to see Mamola, Falice, Roberts, Jorgenson, Chandler show up at club events and put the beat down on the local hot shoes. 

JimRice.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

On 12/8/2017 at 6:59 PM, Cruizin said:

My sentiments, exactly and not only that, he (and Yamaha) busted H.D.'s chops.

http://amcn.com.au/editorial/15482/

The Harley Davidson, #1 flag hung a little lower that day. 😉

Beemer

On 12/8/2017 at 2:57 PM, FZ07R WaNaB said:

.... and regarding Roberts, here he is taking some laps on a Yamaha TZ750 at nearly 60 years old. For you youngsters, the TZ750 is a 4 cylinder two-stroke motor that is scary fast!

Not to mention, scary fast even with the wrong tires. If they'd had better tire technology back then the bike would've smoked the pack even worse. Yamaha baby!

Beemer

From this list I'd have to also say Kenny Roberts.  He is the 1st name I remember from growing up.  Kind of like AJ Foyt, Mario Andretti and Dan Pastorini.

But I'd cast a vote for my Dad.  He rode Harleys and was a motor police officer.  Some of my earliest memories are of him rumbling home on his Harley, pulling me up in front of him and letting me "steer" all the way to the gatage.  He also taught my brother and me how to not crash too much when we got older ☺️.  Even though he's gone, he's still my hero in so many ways.

On 12/8/2017 at 1:57 PM, FZ07R WaNaB said:

What's wrong with a 60 year old riding scary fast bikes? 😎

1 hour ago, stevebtx12 said:

What's wrong with a 60 year old riding scary fast bikes? 😎

Word

DropMIC.jpg

Archived