The MT-07 Forum

Winter came today

faffi

Yeah, I wouldn't have taken my MT out today due to the salt on the roads. However, I think it would have been easier to ride - the well over 500 lb of the Virago was hard work!

I rode my FZ for about an hour today. I am testing the Madstad windscreen to find the "just-right" spot. While I do like the Madstad, it was 73* and I realized how much I appreciate the airflow afforded by a naked bike. I wear a Turtle airbag vest that covers my jacket vents so I need all the air flow I can get. By the time I got home I was sweating a bit. Also, I purchased a Shoei FS-FR (can't remember the alphabet soup name at the moment- too much wine for supper) and I think I like the Bell Star series helmet better. I need to ride with the Shoei absent the Madstad to see how it is in clean air but I am a little unimpressed thus far. A shame because I really like the matte blue finish.

I see they have this huge and ugly thing as well - perhaps I can get enough protection along with the Givi hand protectors I have to make my MT into a good enough sports tourer❔

FZ07_13_large.jpg?v=1493924441

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
6 hours ago, faffi said:

I see they have this huge and ugly thing as well - perhaps I can get enough protection along with the Givi hand protectors I have to make my MT into a good enough sports tourer❔

FZ07_13_large.jpg?v=1493924441

Good God Faffi--that's just plain wrong. ;D

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
16 minutes ago, RSTX said:

It is not nice to look at but very effective. I leave the screen off around town. It is nice to have on the highway or in bad weather.

I bet it does offer great wind protection. :)

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

1 hour ago, bornagainbiker said:

Good God Faffi--that's just plain wrong. ;D

If anyone needs that much protection why don't they just drive a car?

Beemer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/10/2017 at 10:09 AM, Beemer said:

Donuts & hot coffee, a good way to enjoy the winter!

What kind of donuts are we talking about here in this situation?

• Global Moderator
On 12/23/2017 at 12:48 PM, fzar said:

What kind of donuts are we talking about here in this situation?

Only the best... aka

KrispyKreme

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Starting to think riding in the winter is worth it. My bike has salt on it every time I finish riding. My rotors had rust on them this. And my chain has rust on the outside surfaces.

If you ride all winter, expect to strip the swingarm and linkages as well as the brakes every spring to keep things from rotting. Still, the finish will always suffer when things are used on salted roads, no matter what you do. Spraying most parts with a thick layer of silicone will help heaps, just do not get it on tyres and brakes. And the bike should be clean and dry before spraying the silicone.

Archived