The MT-07 Forum

Did I mess something up while changing battery?

darrooh

• Premium Member

I was out of town for a little over a month. I had someone who was supposed to be starting the motorcycle up for me and letting it run for a bit at least once a week. When I got back it would not start. Replaced the stock 2 year old battery with the same one yuasa brand battery. I accidentally put it in sitting up and connected it then realized I had mixed up the terminals and that it needed to be turned on its side. Now that it's in correctly it will not turn on at all so now I'm unsure of what to do next outside of having to take it to a shop. 

TLDR: connected new battery to opposite terminals, got it turned around the right way and it still won't turn on at all. Connected a tender to it and the battery charge is good.

Blew a fuse or blew a relay.  Check all your fuses

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Yeah, if yer lucky, the 30A main fuse popped quickly and nothing else went with it.

You would have been better off just pulling that 30A fuse for the month as starting the bike will draw far more juice from the battery than running a few minutes will recover 

51 minutes ago, darrooh said:

I was out of town for a little over a month. I had someone who was supposed to be starting the motorcycle up for me and letting it run for a bit at least once a week. When I got back it would not start. Replaced the stock 2 year old battery with the same one yuasa brand battery. I accidentally put it in sitting up and connected it then realized I had mixed up the terminals and that it needed to be turned on its side. Now that it's in correctly it will not turn on at all so now I'm unsure of what to do next outside of having to take it to a shop. 

TLDR: connected new battery to opposite terminals, got it turned around the right way and it still won't turn on at all. Connected a tender to it and the battery charge is good.

Bike's totaled...  Send it to me for proper disposal. 😆  Yep. Probably a fuse blown.  I'm sure that Yamaha has designed safeties in for mistakes just like this.

Like others have said, most likely just a fuse. I blew more than one when I simply got the wires crossed on front turn signals so imagine what you did could do. 

Beemer

7 hours ago, Beemer said:

I blew more than one when I simply got the wires crossed

Walk away
Dooooo nt even do it
Get yer hands off the keyboard R1
>:D

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

12 hours ago, r1limited said:

Walk away
Dooooo nt even do it
Get yer hands off the keyboard R1
>:D

You don't believe me?

Beemer

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

You don't believe me?

I believe you, my mind went to the gutter

Archived