The MT-07 Forum

Another FZ07 fork Upgrade Q & A

davjohn28

Fairly new to the FZ-07 world and love my bike so far however my 260 pound frame is killing that front fork!! Ive read countless articles about upgrades but im getting a little cross eyed and confused about some of the options. i still dont know what an emulator or GVE is??????

I ride recreationally, bike will never see track or be over 90mph.

Im trying to explore my options to help decrease some of the brake dive and make bike feel safer more stable in turns. 

Looking to start by simply popping top caps off, putting stiff spring in with a little extra oil and trying that route.

Im also interested in going further if need be and do a little more. Probably wont be spending the money for cartridges as i dont know if i ride enough to justify them.

Im looking for some dos and donts and suggestions on stiffening up the front end. Im pretty mechanically inclined from my dirtbike track days so i plan to do any upgrades myself. 

Has anyone simply popped springs out, stuck stiffer ones in, added extra oil to decrease air space? 

**** Also my main problem. WHERE DO I FIND SPRINGS FOR Y WEIGHT!!!!!***

• Global Moderator

I think @pattonme can get you springs.  He is a supporing vendor (look under Foks by Matt in the supporting vendor section)  and our suspension guru. 

> my 260 pound frame is killing that front fork!! 

You don't say? I can hear the anguished steel from way over here.

> still dont know what an emulator or GVE is

A band-aid to alleviate miserable high-speed compression damping performance (aka hitting moderate+ bumps at 40+mph). The Cogent DDC is a much better solution than a GVE.

> bike will never see track or be over 90mph

pity. But you really should try it some time. Track day orgs often have a 1/2 day or first-timer 1 day discount rates.

> simply popping top caps off, putting stiff spring in with a little extra oil

It's been done. It does work. It's cheap. Use the forum 'search', heck you should get hits from Google pointing back to this board..

It may be enough to satisfy your expectations of performance.

> Probably wont be spending the money for cartridges as i dont know if i ride enough to justify them.

*sad face* How much DO you ride, then?

>  looking for some dos and donts

Do:

* install correct springs

* change oil

* send me money ... (oh wait)

* replace the shock - technically the OE is rebuild-able and re-springable but by the time you do so, you're within spitting distance of a K-Tech Razor Lite

Don't:

* keep riding it as-is

> WHERE DO I FIND SPRINGS

At the spring store of course! Your humble servant has some 0.95 and 1.0's kicking around (Sonic brand). I might even have some RaceTech's in 0.95.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

15 hours ago, pattonme said:

> my 260 pound frame is killing that front fork!! 

You don't say? I can hear the anguished steel from way over here.

> still dont know what an emulator or GVE is

A band-aid to alleviate miserable high-speed compression damping performance (aka hitting moderate+ bumps at 40+mph). The Cogent DDC is a much better solution than a GVE.

> bike will never see track or be over 90mph

pity. But you really should try it some time. Track day orgs often have a 1/2 day or first-timer 1 day discount rates.

> simply popping top caps off, putting stiff spring in with a little extra oil

It's been done. It does work. It's cheap. Use the forum 'search', heck you should get hits from Google pointing back to this board..

It may be enough to satisfy your expectations of performance.

> Probably wont be spending the money for cartridges as i dont know if i ride enough to justify them.

*sad face* How much DO you ride, then?

>  looking for some dos and donts

Do:

* install correct springs

* change oil

* send me money ... (oh wait)

* replace the shock - technically the OE is rebuild-able and re-springable but by the time you do so, you're within spitting distance of a K-Tech Razor Lite

Don't:

* keep riding it as-is

> WHERE DO I FIND SPRINGS

At the spring store of course! Your humble servant has some 0.95 and 1.0's kicking around (Sonic brand). I might even have some RaceTech's in 0.95.

* I use the FZ07 as a recreational rider on the back roads of Louisiana. Hell i dont even know if there is a track in Louisiana to ride if i were interested in      that. 

* I have gotten to 112 one day on I-10 for schitz and giggles! id like to ride it more aggressively but the suspension just seems all over the place. Brakes seem light but im sure that has to do with my weight as well.... Maybe i'll wrk on losing weight while beefing up suspension!

Archived