The MT-07 Forum

Riding Related Hearing Loss

bornagainbiker

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I know that we've covered this subject before, but this is a great article on riding related hearing loss:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/riding-your-motorcycle-could-be-wrecking-your-ears#disqus_thread

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

If someone would just simply make a helmet that doesn't allow wind to rush inside the helmet without making the helmet uncomfortable or hot I would be perfectly happy. Also, that helmet is going to cost, mucho dinero. * I'm not so sure I would trust noise cancelling on a bike since it might cancel a noise that could possibly attract my attention to something hazardous. I don't know that it would but I don't know that it wouldn't, either. I guess I'll have to see what they say about that when the helmet comes out.

DewMan and I talked about the wind problem recently. I noticed that if I shrug my shoulders they make contact with the bottom, side edge of my helmet and the wind noise inside my helmet drops to almost nil. DewMan suggested maybe ordering cheek pads a size larger to make for a tighter fit and that just might help to block the wind and decrease the noise. Silly me, I forgot that my helmet has a cheek pump (that I never use so I forgot about it, derp!) so I'll have to pump it up after I put the helmet on and see if that makes a difference.

Beemer

• Premium Member

my helmet has a chin skirt... helps keeps cold air out and more noise than I thought...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I thought of fitting something like part of a bicylce inner tube to the rear and sides lower edge of the helmet. I too tried the 'shoulders up' and found the same. I think the problem is not at the front. I already wear ear muffs (a block of foam each side between ear and helmet) but I still need earplugs. I have not yet found the best solution.

Just do it! 

I wear custom moulded ear plugs, they cost around USD$100. The plastic compound blocks only certain frequencies (such as wind noise) and you can still hear all the important noises. I've used other ear plugs in the past but these are more comfortable and work better on the bike.

I probably have some hearing loss due to running grinders and hammers and crap, plus working as a doorman at a nightclub, without hearing aid on top of riding motorcycles sans ear plugs for more than a quarter of a century, but it is not bad, meaning it is nothing I think about and I do not consider myself having a hearing issue. Yet. But my kids and wife have better hearing than me, although they always did. Anyway, I use my 36 dB earplugs every ride now other than the 2 miles to and fro work at sub-30 speeds, where the sound is so low I do not consider them of much use. My sons also use earplugs, but I cannot get my brother to use them. I rode his XT600 Tenere home, about 15 miles, with only 15 dB plugs since I couldn't find my good ones. The noise behind the small screen was so painful above 45 mph I had to stand up to avoid it. I simply do not understand how my brother can tolerate the bike at even higher speeds without anything to keep the noise level reaching his ears down. Each to their own, I guess.

As mentioned, an apple warmer or similar will keep a lot of wind noise out for those who cannot get used to earplugs. The downside in hot climates is that they also keep you warmer.

• Premium Member

I found on my FJ-09 when using the barndoor windscreen it directs the exhaust sound right at me like a single direction acoustic device compared to using just the short OEM windscreen... just a thought...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I have hearing loss, I am told tone deafness is hereditary so I do not hear certain tones had this all my life.  Its great when I get a hi pitched female voice and I keep respond what?  Went to a dentist some years back, yanked out some molors and I have had ringing ever since.  Machine shops, indoor racing, blowing this up, gun ranges all did not help I am sure, including my awesome very noise ARAI.  I already posted on this about plugs which went sideways so I wont say what I will say.  Good read though

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

When using my Shoei RF-1200, in as small a size I could squeeze on my head and not give me discomfort while wearing, I get next to no wind noise unless above 85mph. I've not bothered to install the chin skirt. I can't swear to it but it seems like the ear cups seal my ears from the noise. The RF-1200 is the lightest, best fitting, most comfortable helmet I've ever used. Unfortunately it's also the most expensive I've ever used but I feel it was money well spent. 

My hearing has never been good even as a kid and it hasn't gotten any better as I get older and if I felt I could protect it with plugs while riding I would but I'm not seeing a need for them at this time.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Archived