The MT-07 Forum

Joe Rocket Survivor Suit

shinyribs

Anyone have any experience with these things? 

It's not a new thing, but I just discovered it. Been around since about 2009, it seems. I don't see any other competition out there with a similar product. Aerostitch's are 3x the price, and don't have a removable insulated liner, nor the venting this suit has. Other companies make insulated suits, but they aren't armored at all. I can buy insulated coveralls all day for $50-70, so don't see why people buy those at all.

Seems like people can't keep these suits in stock ( several places I checked online), so it must be a hit in that price range. I emailed Revzilla and they said they are not expecting another shipment til March 2018. 

Would love to hear more about them if you've got any experience with them. 

joe_rocket_survivor_suit_black_black.jpg

410iy6lyuQL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

• Premium Member

How do you go to the bathroom? Sorry, somebody had to ask.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

You take it off, I hope. But I reckon that's a personal decision. I would take yet off, personally. ;)

It looks to me that the front zip comes down far enough to allow you to water the flowers, but I'm not really sure. Hoping someone that knows can chime in. Throne action definitely will call for disrobing. 

I used to just throw on one piece, insulated coveralls and a one piece,water/windproof rain suit over top of that and I was fine riding in freezing temps. (until it started getting cold of course) Porcelain time? Ya gotta just man up and yank'em down.

I don't know what size you wear but some sizes are available now on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Joe-Rocket-Survivor-Waterproof-Motorcycle/dp/B00DOHJVB0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1514733981&sr=1-1&keywords=joe%2Brocket%2Bone%2Bpiece%2Binsulated%2Briding%2Bsuit&th=1

Read reviews. Reviews say they run very small. One reviewer said they had to order two sizes larger so be careful when you order. One reviewer said that even though they claim them to be waterproof water seeped in at the stitching on his suit in a full downpour.

Beemer

Thanks, Beemer. 

Similar to you, I'm currently using insulated bibs and my normal winter weather riding jacket. Works fine, but I like the idea of the armor. Work bibs/coveralls aren't as easy to get in and out of compared to something with long zips. 

Joe Rocket's sizing chart puts me directly in a 2XL, which I haven't found in stock anywhere. Comparing the sizing chart of this suit to their other charts shows just how small it runs. 

I've never found any textiles to be waterproof without applying my own treatment, so I've begun to not worry about that too much. 

Found one of these suits on eBay that is like new. Buyer was asking $250 , but accepted my offer of $200. I hope it shows up soon. :)

Gonna ride out now and pick up some Nikwax. 

shinyribs - not only is it nice to have armor also, they shouldn't be quite as bulky as a standard, thermal jumpsuit. Did they have a size for you? Are you going to buy one? almost forgot, it looks cool as fok! Reminds me of an Air Force jump suit.

Ralphies bro.jpg

Beemer

what am I missing? If you're out for 30 minutes you can get away with a lot. 1hr+ then you need wool socks, long-johns or winter bicycle tights, and for the upperbody a heated vest under a downy liner or water/air-proof jacket liner. Then your normal 3/4 jacket and overpants like you'd use normally. Yes my winter jacket is a size larger than my summer one. My overpants are generally from Joe Rocket and like the jacket have armor in all the customary spots.

One piece suits are frequently bothersome - torso too long (short) sleeves too short etc. I have a step-in 1 piece suit (summer) and have owned several Aerostiches. I don't much care for them. If you really want to stay dry, you have to at least wear rain suit pants. Jackets tend to do better but I've had some run rivlets of icy cold water down my arm, too...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Started looking at the survivor suit, ended up finding(again) the Icon Raiden DKR line.  Already have the boots and helm.  Had wanted the jacket and pants but they were too costly for me to justify.  Well theyre discontinued now so closeout prices everywhere!!  Scheduled delivery tuesday the 9th, unfortanatly coming UPS ground.  I found them cheapest on Amazon through a seller(motosport or something like). Thus the ground shipping.

Jacket

Pants

Just had a baby so I've been taking advantage of my wifes car. Never though Id use/little lone be excited about the butt warmer but its been so cold here,Damn its a nice feature.  Though after not being on 2 wheels for just over a month Im jonesin', and have not been looking forward to the cold.  Between the new baby girl and the car the last month has made me soft, lol.   

Cant wait for them to come in so I can ride in the below freezing temps without having to suck it up like I have done in the past. 

On 1/1/2018 at 10:59 AM, Beemer said:

shinyribs - not only is it nice to have armor also, they shouldn't be quite as bulky as a standard, thermal jumpsuit. Did they have a size for you? Are you going to buy one? almost forgot, it looks cool as fok! Reminds me of an Air Force jump suit.

Ralphies bro.jpg

I have been looking around and emailing every distributor I could find. Everyone is out of stock in most sizes. There's a few small and short sizes still floating around. Emailed Joe Rocket directly to see if they were going to be discontinued, and they said they expect another shipment March 2018. So I'll assume they are getting these made offshore, China most likely. 

I did find one on eBay in my size (2XL) in like new condition. $217 to my door after a bit of haggling. 

Pattonme, I'm good to 20F in jeans/t-shirt with a pair of typical insulated work bibs over top. The advantage of this suit, to me, is:

-Easier on-off

-Armor/protection

-Reflectivity

-Waterproof/zippable exterior pockets

-Form fitting ( 14 points of adjustability in this suit)

-Removable insulated liner and venting should make this a three season suit, possibly four. 

There's also a stretch panel at the rear waist to allow for the seated position, pre-curved arms/legs and extra long leg length to also accommodate the riding position. Insulated coveralls can't do any of those things, so it's simply a comfort thing, but also the armor issue. 

BUT...I haven't put hands on one yet ( should be delivered before I return home), so it could likely be a joke for all I know. 

p.s. - I work outdoors year round and am not very temperature sensitive. 

AlbatrossCafe

I have an insulated one-piece suit (Firstgear Thermo). I like how easy it is to take on/off compared to two-piece setups, but like you said, it is not armored. I have to wear a synthetic jacket or something underneath it which kind of makes the "easy to take on/off" component out of it.

I would love an armored one-piece like this for someone who rides all winter, but I don't think I could buy one online without first trying it on.

I hear you on buying online. And bike gear is too expensive to take a gamble on. RevZilla has a great return policy, so that helps. As long as you don't remove the tags and return it in like-new condition, all you owe is $7 return shipping. Can't really complain about that since anything over $39 is free shipping to start with. Their review videos are usually very helpful with sizing, too. 

I wish more local places stocked more gear, but the overhead would be insane. 

The actual suit is tagged "Made in China", but the thermal liner is tagged "Made in Korea". Didn't see that coming. 

Can't say much about the suit yet. It fit me perfectly and has TONS of adjustment yet. At first I thought it was a major fail, because sitting on the couch with the suit made the collar choke me pretty bad. But on the bike, it's completely comfortable. So, if you walk in to a diner with this thing on, you're gonna be loosening the collar...no big deal IMO. All the armor is in the right places. The zippers work well. Taking it off is a breeze, but my boots do stick on the thermal liner some when putting it on. Nothing terrible, and my boots have unusually grippy rubber soles anyway ( Icon Elsinores). With the thermal liner out it goes on and off easily. The thermal liner is no thicker than your typical motorcycle jacket thermal liner. Which I expected, but still secretly hoped it would be closer to a snowmobile type liner. The wrist cuffs are very nicely made and easily tuck inside my glove gauntlets. The leg openings on the thermal liner are elasticated, so no air leakage there. The overall leg length is perfect- not too baggy when standing, not too high when riding. Perfect compromise IMO. 

Too early to say much, but I'm very happy with it so far. Only rode for about  50 minutes with it this evening due to the fact I JUST walked in from work and my socks were still sweaty/wet. But it was 19f when I took off and i was completely comfortable while riding- both in temperature and range of motion. I had thin thermals under a tshirt and jeans, no real layering underneath. 

For size reference, I'm 6' 3" with a 33" inseam. I wear a 17" neck in a dress shirt with 34" sleeves. 46" chest. 38 x 33 in Dickies work pants ( true size) and 36 x 33 in jeans ( typical vanity sizing). My suit is a 2XL.

qI32uJs.jpg

Archived