The MT-07 Forum

rear sag set, bike in wheel chock?

markstertt

I watched all the suspension videos (Max McAllisters) that Pattonme recommended in another post...good stuff and thanks. I have one problem in that it's hard to find 2 people much less 3 to hold the bike etc. so is it feasible to set the rear sag with the front wheel in a chock? I could put a pc. of plywood under the rear wheel to level it up but was wondering if having the bike locked into a chock might skew the results due to lack of a natural free bike movement. I've just never seen it suggested so was hoping...thanks.

I've seen videos of Dave Moss measuring sag with a wheel chock.  Granted, the guy has massive experience to compensate for any differences it causes but I'd say it shouldn't be a problem.

Edit:  Cool tool here too 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, djfz07 said:

Agreed, but not cheap @ USD$150 . 😲

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

1 hour ago, djfz07 said:

I've seen videos of Dave Moss measuring sag with a wheel chock.  Granted, the guy has massive experience to compensate for any differences it causes but I'd say it shouldn't be a problem.

Dave Moss Da Man.  Listen, Learn and do

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

At some point in my build, I plan to have potentiometers mounted to the front and rear suspension, hooked up to a data logger, so I can see sag in real time, along with compression stroke numbers.  For now I only have a zip-tie on the front fork. :)  

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

For now I only have a zip-tie on the front fork.

add camera to fork leg and string/rubber band to zip-tie. Now you have data-logger.

:)

doing it on a wheel chock is fine.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Thank you guys, I'll give the chock a try...I looked at that 'sag tool' but will cheap out for now. I didn't think about asking for it for Christmas when people were asking...missed opportunity perhaps.

May have to rethink this, that tool may be in my future for ease of frustration...the Dave Moss video was thought provoking.

22 hours ago, djfz07 said:

djfz07...thanks, I watched the video and think that tool might be a marriage saver...the wife is tired of me asking for help and her go to line is 'oh no, not sag again!' With that tool and my wheel chock, I'd be on my way. I'll have to see what they're going for on Amazon or ebay....Mark

The Motool Slacker digital sag scale as seen in the above video is a really nice tool, just got one and except for one small mod to work on an FZ-07 rear axle, it works great. So, so much easier to use by oneself with a front wheel chock., thanks again djfz07 for that video.  With the remote readout strapped to the handlebars, I could climb on and off the bike to change preload and check free sag, then climb back on to see how rider sag changed and vice versa.  The readout was 100% repeatable when checking then rechecking. For someone with multiple bikes and aftermarket suspension components, I would consider this tool  indispensable. 

I got mine on Amazon for $150 for the Version 2 model...improved with an auto zero function which is a nice feature.  I didn't get the additional 'street bike kit' but instead went to home depot and bought a pack of the mini clear stick on hook thingies....one for the rear and one for the front with plenty to spare...so saved a few bucks.

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, markstertt said:

The Motool Slacker digital sag scale as seen in the above video is a really nice tool, just got one and except for one small mod to work on an FZ-07 rear axle, it works great. So, so much easier to use by oneself with a front wheel chock., thanks again djfz07 for that video.  With the remote readout strapped to the handlebars, I could climb on and off the bike to change preload and check free sag, then climb back on to see how rider sag changed and vice versa.  The readout was 100% repeatable when checking then rechecking. For someone with multiple bikes and aftermarket suspension components, I would consider this tool  indispensable. 

I got mine on Amazon for $150 for the Version 2 model...improved with an auto zero function which is a nice feature.  I didn't get the additional 'street bike kit' but instead went to home depot and bought a pack of the mini clear stick on hook thingies....one for the rear and one for the front with plenty to spare...so saved a few bucks.

Thanks @markstertt I've been eyeballing the Slacker V2 for a while but I'm having trouble justifying the cost for what will probably amount to a once a year or less duty cycle tool.

What's your opinion of the remote? Is it as handy as you would expect it to be?

What's the battery life on the tool?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

32 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Thanks @markstertt I've been eyeballing the Slacker V2 for a while but I'm having trouble justifying the cost for what will probably amount to a once a year or less duty cycle tool.

What's your opinion of the remote? Is it as handy as you would expect it to be?

What's the battery life on the tool?

First, I don't know about battery life...it takes 2 x AAA

Cost would be tough for a one time a year use but maybe share cost with a buddy or two? Of course keep it at your house since you supplied the batteries...right? 

The remote is very, very handy, wouldn't want it without now that I've used it. You can sit on the bike, bounce around and watch it settle back to original sag or you can lean into riding 

position or sit up straight and see the effect on sag readings...it's just real nice to have the remote.

On the back of the Slacker module is a U shaped plastic 'fence' that stores the 'dirt bike' cable clamp...an unnecessary feature that gets in the way of mounting the unit on the FZ-07 due to our large silver rear axle load bearing washer piece. I just buzzed the fence off with my oscillating saw...no problem.

Archived