The MT-07 Forum

Loud squeaking somewhere

phanomenal07

So today I went to my storage unit to check on my bike. First the bike was stuck in position for some reason. I awesome something just froze. I was able to break it lose by pushing the bike with force. But the issue is when bouncing up and down on the seat there is a loud squeaking noise. I thought it was the rear shocks. But when I put it on the rear stand on the spool the noise goes away. What could it be and could this be a issue that makes it not ridable?

Assuming it wasn't in gear and you were  pushing in neutral, you might have some rust on one or more disks - and that's what stuck it in place. That could cause a squeaking sound that'll go away with every rotation. 

It's possible the shock spring was squeaking on the body of the shock or even the linkage is making noise - neither would explain why it got stuck in the mud though. 

Have a look at the rotors. If they have some rust right where the pads were when you parked it, use some scotchbrite pads to clean or just go for a ride. They'll be clean in no time

If taking to off the work stand causes the noise to come back when you push down, it might take an extra set of ears to locate.  

16 minutes ago, rick said:

Assuming it wasn't in gear and you were  pushing in neutral, you might have some rust on one or more disks - and that's what stuck it in place. That could cause a squeaking sound that'll go away with every rotation. 

It's possible the shock spring was squeaking on the body of the shock or even the linkage is making noise - neither would explain why it got stuck in the mud though. 

Have a look at the rotors. If they have some rust right where the pads were when you parked it, use some scotchbrite pads to clean or just go for a ride. They'll be clean in no time

If taking to off the work stand causes the noise to come back when you push down, it might take an extra set of ears to locate.  

Yes there was a ton on rust on my rotors. Putting it on the paddock stand eliminate the noise completely 

I think just pushing down on the suspension was also moving the bike a tad causing the brake pads to squeal on the rust.

Some rotors seem to rust easier than others. It depends on the iron content in the steel.  I've seen it on more than one of my bikes over the years.  

Doubtful you've done any harm. You can wipe the rotors clean or just wait to take a ride. Not sure there's anything you can put on the rotors that won't make it a bigger problem after you start riding again. Brake pads deal with dirt and some rust all the time. But waxes, or worse, oils on the rotors will result in you needing new pads unless you get it all off before riding. Guess you could try using a car wash detergent that has some wax in it. There won't be enough to foul the pads, but it might coat the rotors to inhibit some corrosion. 

BTW, if you wash the bike just before putting it down for a long sleep - you should either take it for a quick ride to dry the rotors and pads or wipe them as dry as possible with paper towels. That'll help prevent rust build up between the pads and rotors. 

Winter sucks 

5 minutes ago, rick said:

I think just pushing down on the suspension was also moving the bike a tad causing the brake pads to squeal on the rust.

Some rotors seem to rust easier than others. It depends on the iron content in the steel.  I've seen it on more than one of my bikes over the years.  

Doubtful you've done any harm. You can wipe the rotors clean or just wait to take a ride. Not sure there's anything you can put on the rotors that won't make it a bigger problem after you start riding again. Brake pads deal with dirt and some rust all the time. But waxes, or worse, oils on the rotors will result in you needing new pads unless you get it all off before riding. Guess you could try using a car wash detergent that has some wax in it. There won't be enough to foul the pads, but it might coat the rotors to inhibit some corrosion. 

BTW, if you wash the bike just before putting it down for a long sleep - you should either take it for a quick ride to dry the rotors and pads or wipe them as dry as possible with paper towels. That'll help prevent rust build up between the pads and rotors. 

Winter sucks 

Thanks. You are making me feel a lot better lol. I’m riding tomorrow until Monday so it should be good

WD40

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, r1limited said:

WD40

That will guarantee it will not squeak, and as an added bonus it will not stop either. 

20 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

That will guarantee it will not squeak, and as an added bonus it will not stop either. 

But do I really need to stop?

54 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I never said put on the rotors, I mean anyone with a IQ equal to a single digit shoe size knows you spray it on the pads :)

36 minutes ago, phanomenal07 said:

But do I really need to stop?

Brakes are sooooo over rated, they just slow you down

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

12 minutes ago, r1limited said:

I never said put on the rotors, I mean anyone with a IQ equal to a single digit shoe size knows you spray it on the pads :)

Brakes are sooooo over rated, they just slow you down

That's how i feel about people well taller than me complaining about reaching the ground at a stop - I tell 'em, just don't stop! 

Think I'd rather have a bit of rust and live with a squeak for a few minutes than contaminate the pads. Best solution  - keep the dang things dry. 

Once upon a time, iron rotors were the hot set-up for increasing brake strength. Man, did those things ever rust. Can still buy iron rotors for some bikes, but they will be hard anodized to keep 'em from dripping red goo onto wheels. 

1 hour ago, rick said:

That's how i feel about people well taller than me complaining about reaching the ground at a stop - I tell 'em, just don't stop! 

Think I'd rather have a bit of rust and live with a squeak for a few minutes than contaminate the pads. Best solution  - keep the dang things dry. 

Once upon a time, iron rotors were the hot set-up for increasing brake strength. Man, did those things ever rust. Can still buy iron rotors for some bikes, but they will be hard anodized to keep 'em from dripping red goo onto wheels. 

In all seriousness, winterizing does not mean putting sta-bul iin your gas and tossing a cover over it.  IMO it means buying some metal protectant and wiping things down thats all metelie stuff and doing some other things as well like putting water antifrees in your gas and stuff liek that ;)  THATS A JOKE NEVER PUT ANTIFREEZE IN GAS, You put that in yoru tires

Then cleaning it all ups in the non winterize time

Archived