The MT-07 Forum

How many miles before replacing rear shock?

godoy.rafa

My 07 has 22.000 miles on the clock. I'm 140 lbs, 5'7. The rear shock is in its hardest setting.

Even when I ride alone I feel the rear going down too much when going through a hole in the ground or something like that.

With a 100 lbs pillion, I feel the rear bouncing and going down more.

So, I think my rear shock has worn out. What do you guys think? Do I need a replacement, or maybe only a setup?

Buying a USD 500ish Ohlins shock or similar, unfortunately is not an option for me...

find a local suspension tuner. Have him rebuild it. Yes, you're easily due. And while he's in there have him re-valve it so it behaves better.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

AlbatrossCafe

I am easily 250lbs with all my gear. I have nearly 23k miles with highest preload in the rear.

While the shock does affect what you are feeling, I'd argue another culprit is the soft spring. The spring is set up for a single light rider (like yourself) and not much more. I sag a lot on the suspension because I am a lot heavier. When I include 140lb passenger (about 400lbs on the bike total) it is almost comical how bad the ride is lol

If you get a new spring with more capacity, you will not bottom out as much. I got a new spring on the rear for $130. I reused the OEM shock. The shock is still bad, but at least now I don't bottom out anymore and it is much better with a passenger.

9 hours ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

I am easily 250lbs with all my gear. I have nearly 23k miles with highest preload in the rear.

While the shock does affect what you are feeling, I'd argue another culprit is the soft spring. The spring is set up for a single light rider (like yourself) and not much more. I sag a lot on the suspension because I am a lot heavier. When I include 140lb passenger (about 400lbs on the bike total) it is almost comical how bad the ride is lol

If you get a new spring with more capacity, you will not bottom out as much. I got a new spring on the rear for $130. I reused the OEM shock. The shock is still bad, but at least now I don't bottom out anymore and it is much better with a passenger.

Where do I buy the spring only?

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

AlbatrossCafe
6 hours ago, godoy.rafa said:

Where do I buy the spring only?

Not sure... I know I got an Eibach spring, but a local shop ordered/installed it for me so I couldn't tell ya where they sourced it from.

• Premium Member

Springs are measured using the inside diameter and fully extended length.  If you can measure the stock spring, it should be relatively easy to find a stiffer replacement.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I'm thinking about servicing the shock first, and keeping the stock spring... The stock string is not soft for my weight... If the service is too expensive, I have found an used shock with only 1000 miles in it, from Ebay UK.

One of the first things I did was junk the rear shock and replace it with a Nitron. I also replaced the fork springs. Big difference and worth every dime.

On 1/22/2018 at 7:13 PM, godoy.rafa said:

My 07 has 22.000 miles on the clock. I'm 140 lbs, 5'7. The rear shock is in its hardest setting.

I'm curious what your sag numbers are then... Could you perhaps tell us where on this blue ball you are located?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

I can't bite my tongue any longer...... If you are unhappy with the the OEM suspension, then make a REAL change- You can spend money trying to "band-aid" the OEM suspension, or do it right and be DONE... I'm not saying drop thousands of dollars into a full "race" suspension set-up. I've personally spend thousands of dollars on "premium" suspension, on multiple bikes. I always found the same result- TOO MANY ADJUSTMENTS. When was setting up my current FZ-07 for track use, I went a different direction. I did a "bare-bones" Ohlins rear, and proper (sprung for my weight) race tech fork springs, and race tech emulators. The total cost for the whole set-up was about $750. Do a little research, and it is actually pretty easy to set up the front end yourself. YouTube is your friend, or buy a factory service manual and get familiar with the forks....Ohlins does a really good job of setting the rear up properly. Give them your weight, and riding style, and your literally a couple "clicks" away from being nearly spot-on. The shock swap takes SERIOUSLY 5-10 minutes, two bolts and your done! There's also a really good suspension tuner that is a site sponsor that seems to have a really reasonably priced cartridge kit for the forks, if your not up for doing it yourself-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I can't bite my tongue any longer...... If you are unhappy with the the OEM suspension, then make a REAL change- You can spend money trying to "band-aid" the OEM suspension, or do it right and be DONE... I'm not saying drop thousands of dollars into a full "race" suspension set-up. I've personally spend thousands of dollars on "premium" suspension, on multiple bikes. I always found the same result- TOO MANY ADJUSTMENTS. When was setting up my current FZ-07 for track use, I went a different direction. I did a "bare-bones" Ohlins rear, and proper (sprung for my weight) race tech fork springs, and race tech emulators. The total cost for the whole set-up was about $750. Do a little research, and it is actually pretty easy to set up the front end yourself. YouTube is your friend, or buy a factory service manual and get familiar with the forks....Ohlins does a really good job of setting the rear up properly. Give them your weight, and riding style, and your literally a couple "clicks" away from being nearly spot-on. The shock swap takes SERIOUSLY 5-10 minutes, two bolts and your done! There's also a really good suspension tuner that is a site sponsor that seems to have a really reasonably priced cartridge kit for the forks, if your not up for doing it yourself-

Agree, any money spent should be spent on a better shock.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

15 hours ago, pattonme said:

I'm curious what your sag numbers are then... Could you perhaps tell us where on this blue ball you are located?

Blue ball? Can't load the image...

Brazil, Rio de Janeiro :)

5 hours ago, godoy.rafa said:

Blue ball? Can't load the image...

I think he is asking where you are located on planet earth!!

Gary

"How many miles before replacing rear shock?"

When you feel it's worn out/not performing like it was, to your expectations. Only you know that. There is no magic mileage number that tells you when it's worn.

Beemer

8 minutes ago, Thrasherg said:

I think he is asking where you are located on planet earth!!

Gary

LOL!!! I'm in Brazil! Sometimes I don't get foreign jokes, sorry!

> Blue ball

Sorry, if you read my posts for any length of time you'll see I can sometimes get a little too "creative" in the language arts...

I can't speak to your local pricing or what brands have good support. I'm sure there are plenty of locally-focused lists/groups that can answer that question. You either find a good tuner who can redo the internals, or you find $500'ish in local currency and buy an aftermarket unit.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived