The MT-07 Forum

Bent radiator fins

godoy.rafa

On a hot day in stop and go traffic...maybe, it looks like you've compromised around 50% of your cooling area, air needs to pass thru those fins. How did you do that? And I thought straightening out a dozen fins was a chore. 

sidenslideways

Personally, I would fix that and then build or buy a radiator guard. What I have used in the past and it works VERY well, But sounds strange, is a lice comb. Like the kind you get with the kit for when kids get the hair bugs. It works great because the teeth are long, tightly spaced, and you can do about 3 inch at a poke with it. The steel version is preferred as it dose not bend teeth of comb when you are wigggling it. Added bonus is if you have a beard. It is a excellent comb for that also. Of course rinsing it out first is advised.In a pinch also a weapon, a tiny hot dog roasting stick, etc etc. so many uses for a lice comb.

• Premium Member

My expert advice(been making radiators for last 10+ yrs)

Get a new one and install a rad guard... I wouldn't even bother combing the fin unless your sitting in traffic in LA all day...looks like road dirt/fine rocks sandblasted that radiator

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Holey crap thats a lot of damaged fins, how did that happen as it seems to be predominantly to one side the (right) if your in the U.K or Ireland or anywhere they drive on the left I could see it being a 2-way road with an artic throwing debris at you. 

4 hours ago, faffi said:

You can do that in seconds with a high pressure washer aimed directly on the radiator.

I certainly would not recommend that.  Pain stakenly using a very thin screw driver will open all that up, "IF YOU WANT TO SIT A HOUR OR TWO" Me I am cheap, I do this fin check, adjust once a year, and I keep an eye on it.  RADS are spensive

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

2 hours ago, r1limited said:

I certainly would not recommend that.  Pain stakenly using a very thin screw driver will open all that up, "IF YOU WANT TO SIT A HOUR OR TWO" Me I am cheap, I do this fin check, adjust once a year, and I keep an eye on it.  RADS are spensive

I think he was saying that's how the damage could have been done, with a pressure washer to close to the fins. 

37 minutes ago, mick97702 said:

I think he was saying that's how the damage could have been done, with a pressure washer to close to the fins. 

Edited miss read it. Sorry @faffi :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

It's labeled as a fin straightener but from the pictures I can't see how it's supposed to be used. Maybe someone else who's used this type or straightener can offer an opinion on how well it works?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

those adjustable fin combs have their limitations 

unfortunately, with zig-zag fins, a small flat blade screw driver might be the tool of choice. - It'll be slow for sure, but at least they got 'em in Brazil

56 minutes ago, rick said:

those adjustable fin combs have their limitations 

unfortunately, with zig-zag fins, a small flat blade screw driver might be the tool of choice. - It'll be slow for sure, but at least they got 'em in Brazil

Oh man, the hours that this will take... :(

I'll have to do it for sure...

I've used a couple different shaped dental picks, one with a round pointy cross section and one with a flat end like a little mortar trowel...the round one recontours the corner folds and the flat one the straight sections, sometimes using both at the same time and lots of patience. You can probably get such picks on ebay...

Ya know what is tough is bear and wild cat combing, them *uckers get pissed

Archived