The MT-07 Forum

Help!! Clutch not working

Duder3000

If you get it running at all after using shinyribs suggestion park the front wheel against something and with the clutch lever just at the engagement point give it some throttle to let the clutch plates take enough abuse to finish freeing them up. If that doesn't work you will need to take the clutch pack out and do some sanding. You can youtube videos on how to.

On 2/17/2018 at 2:20 PM, Duder3000 said:

Hey guys,

New to this forum and motorcycling in general and I wanted to reach out to introduce myself and to see if you guys and help me with an issue that I'm having with my bike's clutch. At little background, I decided on the FZ07 to be my first bike from what I read online and from talking with family and friends who are regular riders. With it being my first bike I decided to buy a salvaged title as I may want to eventually turn it into a dedicated track bike. That remains to be seen but regardless I bought one that had been dropped on its left side with the damage primarily being taken by the handle bars and bodywork so nothing major at all. All of it has been fixed and the engine started up right away and runs smoothly and it only has 2170 miles on it. The only issue that I have is when I shift from N to either 1st or 2nd with the clutch lever fully pulled in the bike slams into gear and stalls the engine. There doesn't seem to be too much slack out on the cable and I can get roughly 45-50 degrees of travel out of the clutch lever on the side of the clutch cover which I assume would be sufficient to disengage the drive connection.

I took the clutch cover off to see if as a result of the accident and the handle bars being radically bent that this would have somehow stripped the gears on either the pull lever shaft or the pull rod highlighted in the image below but they are both fine. Before I dig any deeper I'm looking to see if any of you have an insight on what else may be causing this issue. Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

image.png.25ea984eae640ffa28301f7eb62b5e8c.png

I shift from N to either 1st or 2nd with the clutch lever fully pulled in the bike slams into gear and stalls the engine

All good info from everyone, yall are much more knowledgeable than I in this. Glad to know all this info is here, hope I never need it, lol.

Though I would like to point out the "saftey" feature our bikes have with the kick stand.  Where if the kick stand is down and you put it into gear it will kill the motor.

Sometimes in life its the simple easy duh things/moments, maybe and hopefully this is one of those times...?

4 hours ago, Redstang4 said:

I shift from N to either 1st or 2nd with the clutch lever fully pulled in the bike slams into gear and stalls the engine

All good info from everyone, yall are much more knowledgeable than I in this. Glad to know all this info is here, hope I never need it, lol.

Though I would like to point out the "saftey" feature our bikes have with the kick stand.  Where if the kick stand is down and you put it into gear it will kill the motor.

Sometimes in life its the simple easy duh things/moments, maybe and hopefully this is one of those times...?

Good point! The switch could be damaged since the bike went down on that side.

4 hours ago, Redstang4 said:

Hahaha! Wouldn't that just take the cake...it's really hard to diagnose someone else's problem on a forum...a lot of assumptions unintentionally made, the first being you assume that the poster would have already done the seemingly obvious stuff but you know what they say about making assumptions.

17 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Oil pump...CHAIN?! Man, I wish I didn't even know that. Pretty hard to believe they didn't go gear driven. Bummer. 

image.png.93ddd160b42171710363d23c88a6e93c.png 

See the pump and chain just below clutch? Double whammy since the oil pump drives the water pump, you loose both but wouldn't really matter would it? I wouldn't mind an oil pressure gauge since this is an all 'plain bearing' lower end.

It's surprising how loose that chain is on the pump...next time I'm in there I might remedy that just for fun. See what I mean by all the space under that cover?

The chain-driven oil pump is old stuff.

The YZF-R1 has been that way since day 1 (1998).

The YZF-R6, too.

The slack is normal, and I wouldn't mess with it.

I figured the slack was normal but surprised to see just how slack the chain is. I promise I won't mess with it...but I still like the idea of a pressure gauge.

9 hours ago, markstertt said:

See what I mean by all the space under that cover?

The clutch cover? Or do you mean the flux capacitor? 

yamaha_fz-07_2015_i2.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7IT0aokFfGPzuP8bXAhw

The clutch cover and the stator cover both have those "Y" shapes embossed in them. I figured it was just a little brand recognition thing. 

Golf-Cart-Emblem-Black-Silver-Yamaha-Dri

But yeah, it does seem extra roomy in there. The CP2 badge area seems unneeded, but I'll admit I enjoy looking at it.:D 

I like the cover but thought there would be some reason for the lumps and bumps...it would look rather plain without them. I'd still like to see the cover 2 pieces so that racers could easily access the clutch assy. with it's own cover. AN style braided SS covered hoses to the water pump for my utilitarian dirt tracker look please....ok maybe not.

So what happened to Duder3000,break those clutch plates free yet or did we loose you with my hi jack? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, sorry to not have gotten back until now but I'm happy to report the issue's been sorted and all seems to be working well.  Thanks for all of your input, this has been a great introduction to this community!

Best,

On 2/20/2018 at 11:04 AM, markstertt said:

See the pump and chain just below clutch? Double whammy since the oil pump drives the water pump, you loose both but wouldn't really matter would it? I wouldn't mind an oil pressure gauge since this is an all 'plain bearing' lower end.

It's surprising how loose that chain is on the pump...next time I'm in there I might remedy that just for fun. See what I mean by all the space under that cover?

If you flip the chain you get a reverse flow, this means lower pressure ;)

Not really

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

6 hours ago, YZEtc said:

What was the cause and solution?

Yeah, what he said...not fair to ask for help and then not tell us what you found and what you did to resolve the problem. It helps anyone else who may have similar issues.

r1limited....hang in there man, just one more week and American flat track returns...then motogp...keep up with meds and try to relax.

7 hours ago, YZEtc said:

What was the cause and solution?

Yeah, same issue for me , and I would love to find out the remedy for the problem.

Sorry guys for not following up but I assume the solution was forcibly rocking the bike back and forth in six with the clutch lever puller pulled in fixed the issue as after I put everything back together the no longer had it.  When cleaning the bike up I found a couple of wasp nests by the ECU so it had to have been sitting in the yard for quite awhile before I bought it.

Best,

Archived